By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Pros and Cons

DanneSandin said:
KLXVER said:

You lost me...

Anyway, there are definitely pros about this console, its just that the presentation kinda ruined some of it.

That's kinda how I feel as well. I was hyped as all effing fuck over the reveal trailer this past Fall, but now...? Not as much, sadly.

Its the WiiU all over again. The third party developers that were at the presentation looked like they were talking at gun point. Third parties are just not interested. They should have delayed the system to holidays 2017.

Around the Network

Does this mean that people will finally stop posting this everywhere?

I lost count of how many times I said that it meant nothing, seems like 3rd parties will keep on 3rd partying.

I think Nintendo kind of fumbled their presentation. There was a lot of good game reveals and decent presentation of the hardware. But too much shit. Horrible translator, who made the stuff seem unexciting. 1,2 Switch was embarrasing. Sega and EA's presence were pointless. And Suda51 comes on stage to talk about a game he doesn't seem to have even started making yet. I am sure Nintendo and 3rd parties have a lot of stuff left to show us the next  weeks until the launch though, so I'm still optimistic.

Pros:

Super Mario Odyssey (looks amazing, I really dig the ideas shown)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Yes, yes, yes. I'm blown away by what I've seen)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Great that a big promising RPG is coming, and what a surprise that it's coming so fast!)

Splatoon 2 (Another surprise, a full blown sequel, not a port!)

Project Octopath Traveller (Wow, unique artstyle, classic gameplay)

Fast RMX

Skyrim (Who cares which version it's based on? As long as it includes DLC. Isn't the remastered version also based on the original version anyway? )

ARMS (Looks fun, it has really grown on me, wasn't hooked after the initial reveal, but it seems to have more depth)

HD rumble (nice tech, that could improve gaming experiences)

No region-locking

The hybrid design!

Perfect system for local muliplayer

Launch day! So early!!

Neutral:

Paid online (I don't care, I never play online. I hope it means they will improve their service a lot)

System price (Higher than I hoped, but cheaper than I feared)

Launch day line-up. (As long as there are a lot of games coming later on at a steady steam, they only need Zelda at launch, if the lack of systems at launch is true. It will be sold out for sure, just because of Zelda anyway then.)

Cons:

1,2 Switch (Oh my... Wtf are you thinking Nintendo? Nobody wants this crap, and for full retail price? Lol, you are living in your own world Nintendo)

Way too expensive accessories

1st party lineup (Huge disappointment that there isn't more, what have you been working on the last 1,5 years Nintendo, we know it isn't Wii U games, where is Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems, Platinum Games, Next Level Games, Gamefreak, HAL Laboratory, Pikmin/2D Mario Team and more)

Japanese 3rd party support (There is good stuff here, but we need more, much more! Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Tekken, Ace Attorney?)

Western 3rd party support (This is pathetic, where are Ubisoft's games? Activision? Warner Bros? I didn't expect more than those three, but I sure as hell expected those three).

Poor presentation in general

In regards to battery life, I never saw it as much of a problem since I always just buy an external power bank and connect it to my handhelds. Hell, you could probably attach the power bank to the back of the Switch with velcro strips or something.

I will agree about the pricey accessories though. It's Nintendo nickel-and-diming us like they typically do; it's the reason why they probably always push so hard for local multiplayer because they make a lot of their money off of accessories and peripherals. This is one of those instances where I'm going to look at 3rd parties for a cheaper solution -- especially for joycons with properly angled stick/face button placements because I hear a ton of people who played the Switch complain about the button/stick placement for the right joycon when playing in handheld mode.

The second I saw that the Switch was going to be a hybrid last year I made my peace with the reality that it wasn't going to get a lot of big-budget multiplats unless it sells at Wii/DS levels. I think it's going to get Japanese-dev support though because it's going to sell great in Japan.

I'm not even going to comment about launch window titles because we still don't know about the complete picture due to Nintendo's painfully incomplete presentation (which should have gone another hour long).

Mummelmann said:

I lost count of how many times I said that it meant nothing, seems like 3rd parties will keep on 3rd partying.

The Japanese ones seems to be providing decently. like Atlus (Sega) , Square, Koei, and Namco. I wonder what Level 5 has in store and same with Platinum. 

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Mummelmann said:

The Japanese ones seems to be providing decently. like Atlus (Sega) , Square, Koei, and Namco. I wonder what Level 5 has in store and same with Platinum. 

It's quite likely that many developers will simply continue their handheld franchises on Switch, and Japanese support should be good at least.

I have really low expectations of the Western "greats" though.

Mummelmann said:
Acevil said:

It's quite likely that many developers will simply continue their handheld franchises on Switch, and Japanese support should be good at least.

I have really low expectations of the Western "greats" though.

Honestly do that. Western Developers are always going to be like that. 

Pros: software & system features

Cons: hardware/accessory prices & paid online

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Pros:

• Super Mario Odyssey is looking like great fun! 
  • Zelda BotW (but perhaps I'll buy the WiiU version instead)
  • Fast RMX... was interested in FAST Racing Neo but didn't buy that version
  • Portable: I love playing on the go and it should fit in my jacket pocket 
  • Supports micro SD cards instead of proprietary memory cards, I'll probably start with 128 or 200 GB 
  • Region Free... finally! No unique selling point... but finally!
  • Powerful handheld: with slim chances of another Sony handheld, it is the best alternative
  • Capacitive multi-touch: finally resistive touchscreens are dying!
  • 1280x720 display: big enhancement compared to the 3DS, good enough resolution for a 6''-display

Cons:

• Low battery life (but we need more test results from different games)
  • Less pocketable than other handhelds
  • Heavier than other handhelds and game controllers
  • Weak performance compared to cheaper home consoles of the competitors
  • Less storage capacity than the other home consoles, more expensive to upgrade the storage capacities
  • Console price
  • Accessory prices
  • Not enough games I want announced (so far)

Neutral:

• Splatoon 2 looks fun, but I'm not into MP shooters 
  • Xenoblade 2: good game, but I have to finish Xenoblade Chronicles + X first 
  • Skyrim: wonderful game, but without PC mods half the fun
  • Local co-op
  • Online paywall: objectively a con, but I rarely play online anyways...
  • The Joy-Cons: some nice gimmicks, but also the danger that developers feel obligated to use the features, no matter if it fits to the game or not

More information needed:

• Weight of the Switch with JoyCons attached
  • Battery life in different settings (display brightness) with different games
  • Development of Western third party support
  • Development of Asian third party support
  • Development of Switch game prices after launch
  • Better and more frequent eShop deals than for 3DS and Wii U?
  • Price reduction for VC games you already bought for Wii U or 3DS?
  • Price reduction for already bought digital 3DS and Wii U games that get ported to Switch?
  • Locked Amiibo content additional to online subscription? DLC prices?
  • OS features / apps
  • Fast or sluggish OS / GUI?
  • Available storage of the 32 GB? (how much is reserved for the OS and mandatory apps?)
  • Loading times for bigger games

Mummelmann said:

I mean, what does that even tell you? Nothing. It doesn't really say anything. This is quite telling, however:

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.