By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Pros and Cons

KLXVER said:
vivster said:
The pro is that it has Nintendo games. The con is that it's weak as shit. But what else is new for a Nintendo console.

Well would you rather have PS4 level graphics with 20 minute battery life? 

Actually I would like to have good performance instead of PS4 performance. Battery life is not really a concern for me.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
KLXVER said:

Well would you rather have PS4 level graphics with 20 minute battery life? 

That would have been an interesting option. Specially since you can just plug it in and make battery life a non issue.

How is that a non issue when you are outside?

@ OP

Pros:

-The lineup is actually good I think. We are talking 9 months and we already have Zelda, a new Mario (which looks fantastic), Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Arms (another promising game). I think it's their best launch lineup since the Wii. More games are coming later for sure (we haven't seen what Retro and NLG have been up to, for example).

-Japan support. We have already see a brand Persona, Pj. Octopath, Dragon Quest, Bomberman, Street Figher, FE Warriors and Dragon Ball. I believe this console is going the sell in JP so I'm expecting more support in the coming years.

-The joy-cons look actually cool. I wasn't sold on the concept of detachable tiny controllers before, but the presentation made me revalute them. Also HD Rumble looks like an interesting feature.

Cons:

-The price is definetly too high. I was expecting a 249€ launch price, instead it's 80€ more than that. Even accessories as Bandorr rightfully stated are awfully expansive.

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a missed opportunity. I was supporting the idea of an extended MK8 in the first place, but I was expecting some new tracks and moslty I wanted 60 damned fps for 3-4 player mode. I believe they could have just reduced resolution to 720p to achieve that. So, to me it feels like a lazy omission.

-I'm definetly not a fan of paid subscriptions to play online, but at the same time I think it won't affect me very much since I barely play online on Nintendo consoles.

Hmm not a lot of pros for me

Pros:

- Mario Odyssey looks like a must play
- Slightly smoother version of BotW
- My kids will probably like Splatoon 2, not for me though
- My kids will probably also like MK8, although just like Splatoon they haven't touched it for half a year at least.

Cons:

- Not interested in a handheld, have to pay extra for it anyway
- Can't use it as a controller with touchscreen map/inventory like the WiiU gamepad as it has to sit in the dock.
- Can't sit inside my AV cabinet as the unit has to slide out the top
- Pricey extra dock for use on my projector
- Not looking forward to asking my kids where the Switch is every time I want to play
- Small game cards possibly to get lost
- Extra storage is a must
- Pricey extra controllers, can you still use wii motes instead?
- Paid online, not gonna pay for using it maybe once a year
- Paid online, even less likely to get Splatoon 2
- Very weak launch lineup. Mario Odyssey is the only exclusive that really interests me.

Still I'm tempted, it's a Nintendo console after all. Zelda and Mario look amazing. My heart says get it day one, my mind says you're an idot. Wait for the inevitable price drop after the summer and get it bundled with Mario Odyssey in fall.

My mind would have been in it too with Redout, Lego Undercover 2 or a Rayman game coming at launch. Or Mario Odyssey ofcourse. Playing 4 people co-op Mario on day one was what sold me the WiiU. although that was CAD 100 less at the time and no need to buy new controllers.

Airaku said:
DanneSandin said:

No Miiverse or Streetpass, why are these features missing?!

Do you know what their replacements are? Could we be getting something new and significantly better?

If that's the case, why haven't we heard anything about this? I'm only going by what they revealed the other day, some were good and some were bad.

DanneSandin said:

Pros:

Paid online, sucks but expected

I don't think many people "expected" this. Do we know what the new service is? I'm guessing it's been revamped and DeNA had a hand in this.

We don't know the full extent of it yet, but from what we're hearing right now, it's sounding like it'll be pretty bad.

DanneSandin said:

BAD online service; renting a S/NES game for month and forced to use a secondery smart device for voice chat and inviting to game sessions is just BAD!

Again how do we know this bad? How do we know that is the way it's going to work. Did you try it out, have you seen a demonstration? You're assuming things again.

How do we know this is bad? First of all, YOU NEED A SECOND DEVICE TO VOICE CHAT AND INVITE PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH YOU. That's pretty bad, that's features that the Switch is MISSING, something the console cannot do, something that the competition is doing, is doing pretty well, and has been doing for quite some time. That's like having a modern day phone which cannot send text messages, you need another phone to do that. It's on the same level of stupidity. It's just bad design. And it's not like Nintendo is giving you great value for this service; you get to play a 20-30 year old game for ONE month. unlike the competition which is giving you 6 games EVERY month you'll get to enjoy FOREVER, as long as you continue to pay for that service. Oh, we might get discounts on games as well if we pay for this service, but Steam is also offering great discounts for their members, without having to pay for the privilige of getting the discounts. This all means that Nintendo's online service is looking pretty damn bad right now. And this is without assuming anything at all. This is coming from Nintendo directly. That's ALL the information we have of this service right now. And it's all bad.

We have a brand new President of Nintendo and people are assuming and expecting that he's going to run everything Iwata did in the past 10 year. Un-fucking-believable. Iwata DID NOT run things like Yamauchi did. Give Kimishima a chance and wipe your mind clear from everything you think you knew. This is a new era of Nintendo.

Also it's confirmed more things will be revealed in the coming weeks. The Switch was delayed so it would launch with a lot of games and one of their biggest launch line ups to date. Those were Kimishima's words and I doubt 4 or 5 games qualifies as a huge launch line up.

I'm hoping Nintendo can justify all my cons, but with the information we have right now, I'm gonna stick with my opinions. If Nintendo really makes a great case for all the cons, I'll be happy to change my mind.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
DanneSandin said:

I guess all the negativity reflects the fact that Nintendo did something wrong, and I don't know what it is. The major complaints I have barely affects me anyways; I might buy ONE pro controller, and probably not more joy-cons, so it's not like I'll be wasting a fortune on accessories. I don't ever play games online; maybe I've played Mario Kart Wii online like, one night or something like that. So paying for online doesn't really affect me. But I think it's Nintendo's philosophy in general that irks me right now.

I'm confused you say you aren't going to play games online, but you also included Splatoon 2 on your pros list. Do you just play the single player levels?

Oh fuck, that shit hadn't even dawned on me! Shiiiit! I guess I'll be sticking with Splatoon on my Wii U instead - unless that console will be getting Nintendo's awesome online service as well...

Jayward said:

Many are commenting on pricing and I get that but here is an idea I'd like to share with you so long as you are willing to be without your Wii U for 7 weeks.  I pre-ordered the Switch yesterday and traded in my Wii U, 5 games and a pro controller at EB Games / Gamestop.  I got 300$ in trade in value with their current promotion (double value on all traded items) for getting the Switch.  So looking at it that way, it was quite the deal for me and could be for many others that want a Switch at a more reasonable price.  It will end up costing me 100$ plus taxes.

Cheers,

Sadly, I still have too many games I haven't played on my Wii U =(

My only cons are the price, the paid online, and crazy expensive accessories. The pros of the cool games they showed and the portability are enough to buy the system.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Bandorr said:
KLXVER said:

How is that a non issue when you are outside?

I did say an option. Although there are outlets outside as well.

An option as in a choice.  Like a setting. Something you can turn on and off.

You lost me...

Anyway, there are definitely pros about this console, its just that the presentation kinda ruined some of it.

KLXVER said:
Bandorr said:

I did say an option. Although there are outlets outside as well.

An option as in a choice.  Like a setting. Something you can turn on and off.

You lost me...

Anyway, there are definitely pros about this console, its just that the presentation kinda ruined some of it.

That's kinda how I feel as well. I was hyped as all effing fuck over the reveal trailer this past Fall, but now...? Not as much, sadly.