By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871

Nah.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

Indeed. 

Furthermore, with Sega, they had a long string of failures that led to their demise as a hardware manufacturer. The Genesis/Mega Drive was really the exception rather than the rule. The Master System didn’t do well at all as it was dwarfed by the NES. The Saturn flopped, all their handhelds flopped. The Dreamcast had a promising start, but as soon as the PS2 was announced, that was all she wrote.

With Nintendo, aside from the Wii U and GameCube, all of their consoles and handhelds have ranged from so-so (N64/3DS) to absolutely juggernaut (DS/Wii/Switch). 

SEGA was successful in arcades but it wasn't enough. DC was doomed before launch because of the 32X and Saturn failures already bankrupt them. They were on the brink of going out of business. All that saved them was a dying CEO who left his entire fortune to SEGA to keep them afloat until Sammy bought them.

Oh and Gamecube was not a failure. Not in the least. Sure it didn't seel the most consoles but they made a profit on it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
PAOerfulone said:

Indeed. 

Furthermore, with Sega, they had a long string of failures that led to their demise as a hardware manufacturer. The Genesis/Mega Drive was really the exception rather than the rule. The Master System didn’t do well at all as it was dwarfed by the NES. The Saturn flopped, all their handhelds flopped. The Dreamcast had a promising start, but as soon as the PS2 was announced, that was all she wrote.

With Nintendo, aside from the Wii U and GameCube, all of their consoles and handhelds have ranged from so-so (N64/3DS) to absolutely juggernaut (DS/Wii/Switch). 

SEGA was successful in arcades but it wasn't enough. DC was doomed before launch because of the 32X and Saturn failures already bankrupt them. They were on the brink of going out of business. All that saved them was a dying CEO who left his entire fortune to SEGA to keep them afloat until Sammy bought them.

Oh and Gamecube was not a failure. Not in the least. Sure it didn't seel the most consoles but they made a profit on it.

no money equal go bad. Nintendo have tons of money when Wiiu disaster occurred.

How does such a thread even exist? if you want Nintendo as a third party you need to believe that all exclusivities should go on every system existing. Otherwise you're just being hypocrite and hateful to Nintendo.

/thread

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Illusion said:
It's fun to laugh at this thread now but people don't realize how ugly things were looking for Nintendo a short while ago. The Wii U was a disaster and smartphone gaming was decimating the 3DS in the latter part of the its life. Also, it wasn't clear at all that the "fusion" concept between portable and console that the Switch went with would be successful. The Switch had to do absolutely everything right and it did, but this doesn't take from the fact that Nintendo was at the lowest point since the NES during the Wii U era and was very close to becoming the next Sega. Hopefully the Wii U era teaches Nintendo to be less overconfident in the future. Just because a console like the Wii or the Switch catches fire and sells well doesn't mean that the general public will buy any piece of junk you throw at them or that developers will just figure out how to make it's gimmick popular. Nintendo should keep this in mind with the successor to the Switch: the market is changing quickly and finding the new cool requires effort, being able to tell your users what they want and need and reflecting on what you have been doing in the past in ways that makes you uncomfortable...

Nintendo is handling smartphones just fine, where's Angry Birds these days?

The only thing that's been decimated is Nintendo's dedicated handhelds. A feat no-one else has ever been able to achieve.

If they can handle Apple and Samsung smartphones, outsell Sony and MS home consoles and crush dedicated handheld systems, it's not Nintendo that has to worry.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The only company that has won a gen is Sony & Nintendo. Xbox only keeps playstation at bay by having equal amounts of third party. Microsoft is playing a very, very odd game right now saying console sales dont matter and yet are playing pricing games with Sony. Their words dont match their actions.

Still better than a Sony monopoly in my opinion; competition drives companies to improve their services. MS getting a thrashing this gen has already seen them investing more in first party studios and producing a more games-centric machine this time around. PS3 struggling against the 360 led Sony to produce a more affordable and developer friendly PS4.

I would agree with your point if services didnt supersede the consoles value. The game Xbox is playing is taking value from the console and putting it into programs or software itself. The console in and of itself is just an option. Sure, the console will sell fairly well but we will see what happens when people who have a PC dont have to buy a console if they dont want it. Were going to learn how many PC gamers own a console and how much having no exclusives can affect the market. To be quite honest, despite Sony needing adequate competition Microsoft is the scarier option to have a monopoly because they constantly go off on their own tangent where they lose consumers, arent developing up to par and have a history of monopolistic behavior which forced their branches to be separated.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Still better than a Sony monopoly in my opinion; competition drives companies to improve their services. MS getting a thrashing this gen has already seen them investing more in first party studios and producing a more games-centric machine this time around. PS3 struggling against the 360 led Sony to produce a more affordable and developer friendly PS4.

I would agree with your point if services didnt supersede the consoles value. The game Xbox is playing is taking value from the console and putting it into programs or software itself. The console in and of itself is just an option. Sure, the console will sell fairly well but we will see what happens when people who have a PC dont have to buy a console if they dont want it. Were going to learn how many PC gamers own a console and how much having no exclusives can affect the market. To be quite honest, despite Sony needing adequate competition Microsoft is the scarier option to have a monopoly because they constantly go off on their own tangent where they lose consumers, arent developing up to par and have a history of monopolistic behavior which forced their branches to be separated.

Xbox won't ever have a monopoly though because of Playstation. As long as they compete, neither will be able to get away with doing whatever they want, because they'll have to try to appeal to the consumer more than the other guy. 

If Xbox disappeared, and Playstation was the only game in town for dedicated console gaming, there would be nothing stopping them from pulling all kinds of anti-consumer nastiness, because consumers wouldn't have an alternative.

As such, I think it's important for the industry that MS continues to make Xbox hardware. None of them should go third party in my opinion.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 June 2020

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Xbox won't ever have a monopoly though because of Playstation. As long as they compete, neither will be able to get away with doing whatever they want, because they'll have to try to appeal to the consumer more than the other guy. 

If Xbox disappeared, and Playstation was the only game in town for dedicated console gaming, there would be nothing stopping them from pulling all kinds of anti-consumer nastiness, because consumers wouldn't have an alternative.

As such, I think it's important for the industry that MS continues to make Xbox hardware. None of them should go third party in my opinion.

We've seen every single one of the Big 3 get too big for their britches after a successful gen, and then get humbled into going back to being more customer and/or dev friendly. I used to think that MS has no place in the market either, but that's changed. In addition to pushing forward tech and online services, it keeps Sony in check like you said.

If Sony and MS didn't have to keep their eyes on each other, then a Stadia-like console would already exist from one of them. We almost got a similar thing with the original vision of the Xbone.

I loved the Xbox and the 360 but not liked the direction it has gone since about 2010 with Don up to Phil.  Right now all I see XBSX doing is keeping Sony honest but little else and Sony will still win out of the two. Even tho they mostly do not appeal to me. Sony is very good at getting that new IP that will sell to a more casual audience. Games that paint with a broad stroke and appeal to a mass. Those "cinematic" adventure games and sprinkle in some cartoon mascot games. MS keeps relying on IPs with a shrinking base. Sure they bought some studios but they have done that in the past. They also shut down a lot of projects and even a couple of studios under Phil. We saw a lot of ho-hum games with XBO. I don't see that changing soon. A couple of those studios made some games ranging from mediocre to really bad. Some made some good stuff of course. They are also pushing Hellblade 2. That's fine and all but didn't that game only sell 1 million copies across 4 systems? Not a mass seller. Maybe it has a growing audience so who knows. I do know I would own an Xbox one if they released Phantom Dust and Scalebound.

While I always want the competition to prevent a monopoly, I just wish MS was better at it. 360 was the closest they had to success in Japan and despite early gen hardware problems. Easily the best console they made and likely ever will. MS is kinda doing what SEGA did in the mid to late 90s. Release some of their games on PC and handhelds not competing with them. (Neo Geo Pocket which btw connected to DC similar to GBA link to GC) I know Phil Spencer means well but honestly don't think he's doing that great. Nintendo will do whatever it is they do and be fine. Switch. Phones. Pokeballs. Theme parks, whatever.

Sorry to sound too negative on MS. Again I love their older Xbox systems. I collect for multiple platforms. I don't wave a flag (Except classic SEGA lol). I just go where the games are. Not a big fan of Sony as a company but their consoles get the most games I want to play. I would love for MS to get back to the greatness that was 360. I'd love for them to address all my worries and surprise me. Tho there is a small part of me that thinks how they took over SEGA's spot and post 360 not felt they lived up to it. Sorry I know it's a Nintendo thread. Sorry to get a bit off track. Just had to vent a little. Just finish with this.

I want all 3 to be great. I have some doubts but I want them to be proven wrong.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!