By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
BraLoD said:

I think that's the first time I was necrobumped xD
People took it as an attack, as expected, even as the OP never pointed to the Switch failing, at all.
Anyway, I was indeed wrong at the time, as I didn't imagine it would be such a success.
But I still find it badly priced, and it being successful just made it even easier for Nintendo.
It's all still the same, you are paying like a PS4 to play worse ports of some games and great Nintendo games, and the game prices, like the hardware, just never drops, making it quite a pricey system, as expected.

I still stand by my side of it tho, btw.

But yeah, Nintendo is making a shit ton of money with it which I didn't see coming, so no reason for them to stop anytime soon.

Some ports, like Alien: Isolation and Dragon Quest XI are the definitive way to play those games on console. And gamers have shown for decades that they're willing to accept a lesser experience from a hardware capability perspective for the mobility and convenience of handheld gaming. Don't compare a seven-year old console with a foot in its grave to a three-year old handheld at or near the top of its bell curve.

I'll give you the game prices though. Outside of indies, Ubisoft and some mid-tier Japanese publishers, you're lucky to get more than 50 percent off on games in the eShop, and if it's on cart, it gets snatched up with the hurry-upness. I was just shopping for PS4 games for a friend the other day was floored at the prices of some of its greatest hits - I got my PS3 well after the PS4 was in its heyday, so I chalked those prices up to a near-dead system's last hurrah. PS4, despite my earlier comment about a foot in the grave, still has plenty of life in the rest of its body. Gaming on other consoles is cheaper, and it's hard to argue otherwise.

Around the Network
padib said:
BraLoD said:

I think that's the first time I was necrobumped xD
People took it as an attack, as expected, even as the OP never pointed to the Switch failing, at all.
Anyway, I was indeed wrong at the time, as I didn't imagine it would be such a success.
But I still find it badly priced, and it being successful just made it even easier for Nintendo.
It's all still the same, you are paying like a PS4 to play worse ports of some games and great Nintendo games, and the game prices, like the hardware, just never drops, making it quite a pricey system, as expected.

I still stand by my side of it tho, btw.

But yeah, Nintendo is making a shit ton of money with it which I didn't see coming, so no reason for them to stop anytime soon.

The difference is that you can play the same ports on the go. It's what makes the switch interesting compared to the other two, among many other things.

It also by the same fact highlights why Nintendo shouldn't go third party, because they do things the other two wouldn't, and open options to consumers.

One valuable lesson we learned from losing SEGA. Imagine how freaking stagnant the industry would be without any sort of wild card. It doesn't always work, and the ideas aren't always good, but at least Nintendo branches out in directions to give gamers an outlet that's different from the same old, same old.

burninmylight said:
padib said:

The difference is that you can play the same ports on the go. It's what makes the switch interesting compared to the other two, among many other things.

It also by the same fact highlights why Nintendo shouldn't go third party, because they do things the other two wouldn't, and open options to consumers.

One valuable lesson we learned from losing SEGA. Imagine how freaking stagnant the industry would be without any sort of wild card. It doesn't always work, and the ideas aren't always good, but at least Nintendo branches out in directions to give gamers an outlet that's different from the same old, same old.

Exactly, the industry would be boring as fuck if there were just Xbox and Playstation, to me anyway. Nintendo keep things varied and fresh.

For me the best time in my life as a gamer was the 7th gen because we had Xbox and Playstation pushing the limits of AAA blockbuster gaming, but also Nintendo doing something so completely different with the Wii, it was great, they went together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Have you seen how much Nintendo first party sells their consoles? No. Microsoft is the only brand that should be third party.

Like a fine wine...

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Have you seen how much Nintendo first party sells their consoles? No. Microsoft is the only brand that should be third party.

Are you coming at me bro?

This thread, much like my reply is from January 2017.

Damm this thread aged horribly just like the one about PS4 not outselling Wii.

But for as long as Nintendo continue with their Casual approach they will be fine.

The ironic thing is that since this thread has been made, Microsoft has gone third party.  I can play games like Cuphead and Ori on the Switch now.  Add Minecraft on top of that which is the best selling game in the 21st century.  Microsoft just released Minecraft Dungeons for the Switch and I hear it's selling pretty well.  Microsoft may actually be Switch's best third party partner.  No doubt they are at least in the top 5.

The poll options make this whole thread look like satire. You wouldn’t put options like that under any other circumstance. I mean, look at them! They’re nonsense.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

ironmanDX said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Are you coming at me bro?

This thread, much like my reply is from January 2017.

LOL I've been gone a while. Haha. My mistake.