By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871

Happy to say that even in the desolate wastelands that were 2015/16 for Nintendo, I never once believed they should go third party or that they wouldn’t bounce back. And I could have easily predicted that all these kinds of topics back then would age laughably bad.

They had too much generational cultivated brand loyalty over too long by the time Wii U hit for that to have happened, even with a huge misfire like Wii U. Sony is probably at that same point too now, - where they could have a failed era and still be ok in the long run - though I’d argue they just got to that point after this gen. MS is the only one of the three that still lacks that kind of cultivated brand loyalty now, which means they could live or die by how successful their next console is. 

Last edited by HyrulianScrolls - on 14 June 2020

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Can't we just let this thread die already? I cringe a bit every time I read this title

OP understood he was miserably wrong, I see no point in circlejerking the subject

Welcome to VGChartz. Where we circlejerk dead, necro-bumped threads half a decade later.

burninmylight said:
curl-6 said:

Xbox won't ever have a monopoly though because of Playstation. As long as they compete, neither will be able to get away with doing whatever they want, because they'll have to try to appeal to the consumer more than the other guy. 

If Xbox disappeared, and Playstation was the only game in town for dedicated console gaming, there would be nothing stopping them from pulling all kinds of anti-consumer nastiness, because consumers wouldn't have an alternative.

As such, I think it's important for the industry that MS continues to make Xbox hardware. None of them should go third party in my opinion.

We've seen every single one of the Big 3 get too big for their britches after a successful gen, and then get humbled into going back to being more customer and/or dev friendly. I used to think that MS has no place in the market either, but that's changed. In addition to pushing forward tech and online services, it keeps Sony in check like you said.

If Sony and MS didn't have to keep their eyes on each other, then a Stadia-like console would already exist from one of them. We almost got a similar thing with the original vision of the Xbone.

This is true from a competitive standpoint, but Microsoft has always pushed Sony to push features and online with little else. Sony has got Microsoft stuck on the most important thing which are games. They have them so stuck that they built their largest studio right next to Sony so they can keep tabs on their talent crop. Thats the difference.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I would agree with your point if services didnt supersede the consoles value. The game Xbox is playing is taking value from the console and putting it into programs or software itself. The console in and of itself is just an option. Sure, the console will sell fairly well but we will see what happens when people who have a PC dont have to buy a console if they dont want it. Were going to learn how many PC gamers own a console and how much having no exclusives can affect the market. To be quite honest, despite Sony needing adequate competition Microsoft is the scarier option to have a monopoly because they constantly go off on their own tangent where they lose consumers, arent developing up to par and have a history of monopolistic behavior which forced their branches to be separated.

Xbox won't ever have a monopoly though because of Playstation. As long as they compete, neither will be able to get away with doing whatever they want, because they'll have to try to appeal to the consumer more than the other guy. 

If Xbox disappeared, and Playstation was the only game in town for dedicated console gaming, there would be nothing stopping them from pulling all kinds of anti-consumer nastiness, because consumers wouldn't have an alternative.

As such, I think it's important for the industry that MS continues to make Xbox hardware. None of them should go third party in my opinion.

I agree, but you see Xbox and their wandering eyes. They naturally want everything. The only thing stopping them from getting it is content.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

I agree, but you see Xbox and their wandering eyes. They naturally want everything. The only thing stopping them from getting it is content.

Well, I have absolute confidence in the ability of Sony to keep MS in check. I just can't see MS ever beating Sony to the extent that it's not at least a heated competition.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Well, I have absolute confidence in the ability of Sony to keep MS in check. I just can't see MS ever beating Sony to the extent that it's not at least a heated competition.

Microsoft just wants to turn everything into a subscription. Now that as been normalized, once Sony sees that money were going to go further into subscription hell. Just like that, the console realm will be left to Nintendo by themselves while Sony and Microsoft seek multi-platform status. The ways for them to get more money out of you is endless.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Microsoft just wants to turn everything into a subscription. Now that as been normalized, once Sony sees that money were going to go further into subscription hell. Just like that, the console realm will be left to Nintendo by themselves while Sony and Microsoft seek multi-platform status. The ways for them to get more money out of you is endless.

Both MS and Sony (and Nintendo for that matter) have brought elements into gaming I don't like or approve of, but if any one of them had a complete monopoly, I shudder to think how much worse they'd be. As long as Playstation is around there is a limit to how far Xbox can go in their attempts to fleece consumers, and vice versa.

And like I've said, just personally I prefer Xbox to Playstation consoles in general, so I for one am glad we have three console makers instead of just 2, or worse still, 1.

Nintendo will be forced to go third party when cloud gaming becomes mainstream, they just don't have what it takes to build a worldwide cloud infrastructure.

Birimbau said:
Nintendo will be forced to go third party when cloud gaming becomes mainstream, they just don't have what it takes to build a worldwide cloud infrastructure.

When? It's a wild guest ou mambo Jambo theory? Because Stadia do wonders, right?

Agente42 said:
Birimbau said:

When? It's a wild guest ou mambo Jambo theory? Because Stadia do wonders, right?

Stadia and xCloud will begin to fight the real fight in the next 2 years. MS announced that Series X hardware will be available on xCloud in 2021, and Google is already with the next Stadia hardware upgrade in the works.