By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict: How many paid downloads will get Super Mario Run get?

I think 10M is a good number, hopefully it does better, but I am a bit skeptical

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
vivster said:
fleischr said:

You forget that at one point earlier this year, Pokemon Go made up more than half of all in-app transactions. https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/29/pokemon-gos-paying-user-base-has-reached-a-plateau/

Of course, that kind of strength doesn't last with any title forever - but it lends itself well to the idea that Nintendo can achieve greater paying attach rates with their top-tier IP for at least a short duration of time.

Keep in mind this is a free app currently with only one major in-app purchase, and that it's pretty meaningful one in comparison to what you normally get with many other f2p games.

This is also lifetime numbers I'm predicting here... So I'm not saying it hits 300 million paid downloads it's first year, but over several years on the app store it will.

That's still not how math works. Look at LTD numbers of any game and compare it with first year sales. You will find they're very similar. By a simlar rate SMR would have to sell at least 200m copies in its first year. This game does not exist in a bubble. It has to compete against every other game on the store and a lot of them are free or have a way smaller entry fee.

The game cannot simply succeed because of brand alone. Pokemon couldn't do it either. Pokemon was heavily supported by the social aspect which brought players in who would've otherwise have not given a single shit about a pokemon game.

And now you come along saying that a game with higher entry fee, no social draw and no longevity whatsoever will easily beat a once in a lifetime blockbuster? Be realistic here.

It kind of is in it's own bubble though. It absolutely competes on 'unfair' terms with everything else out there.

Not only does have the longest pre-release marketing of any App Store game - there's a good chance it'll be promoted in the long haul. Why? Because it easily brings in more revenue/profit per sale than anything else Apple (or Google) has to promote.

To them it's not just a single release - but a chance to reverse the race to the bottom mobile sales model that's had app store revenues stagnate in real terms.

I think there's a much bigger social hook to this than you might realize. It's not the same as Pokemon Go - but titles like Temple Run or Angry Birds never needed a 'social' hook to get several million downloads, did they?

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
vivster said:

That's still not how math works. Look at LTD numbers of any game and compare it with first year sales. You will find they're very similar. By a simlar rate SMR would have to sell at least 200m copies in its first year. This game does not exist in a bubble. It has to compete against every other game on the store and a lot of them are free or have a way smaller entry fee.

The game cannot simply succeed because of brand alone. Pokemon couldn't do it either. Pokemon was heavily supported by the social aspect which brought players in who would've otherwise have not given a single shit about a pokemon game.

And now you come along saying that a game with higher entry fee, no social draw and no longevity whatsoever will easily beat a once in a lifetime blockbuster? Be realistic here.

It kind of is in it's own bubble though. It absolutely competes on 'unfair' terms with everything else out there.

Not only does have the longest pre-release marketing of any App Store game - there's a good chance it'll be promoted in the long haul. Why? Because it easily brings in more revenue/profit per sale than anything else Apple (or Google) has to promote.

To them it's not just a single release - but a chance to reverse the race to the bottom mobile sales model that's had app store revenues stagnate in real terms.

I think there's a much bigger social hook to this than you might realize. It's not the same as Pokemon Go - but titles like Temple Run or Angry Birds never needed a 'social' hook to get several million downloads, did they?

Wow. Just wow. I just cannot comprehend how anyone can think this way and actually try to conivince others that these ideas aren't totally ludicrious.

There is absolutely no reason to think that this game will have more than 50 million paid downloads even in the most optimistic of scenarios that are actually grounded in reality. You're actually arguing for 6 times higher than that.

For example: The Angry Birds SERIES has over 2 billion downloads, but it has been 100% free on Android since the beginning and has regularly been given away for free on iOS (I think I have every angry birds game, and I never paid a dime for any of them). So that means you have many people that could be representing 8 downloads for Angry Birds that would only represent 1 for Mario Run, and again, most of those 2 billion downloads are by users that never paid a dime for anything.

Furthermore, you're vastly overestimating the potential userbase. Between my wife and I, we have owned 9 different iOS devices between us over the years. They all used my account. It's a gross overestimation to assume that 1 billion iOS devices in the wild represents 1 billion iOS users. 

This is just two very obvious examples that makes your very flimsy house of cards come toppling down.

1M?

10 bucks is way too much for a mobile game

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Barkley said:
fleischr said:

I predict about 300 million paid downloads lifetime - that includes the eventual Android release. About 40 million paid downloads the first month.

Bro... you cray.

There's no way it's going to make $3 Billion in sales, the entirety of Nintendo only got $4.3 Billion in Revenue in 2016.

10 Million full price sales would be very good for it to achieve.

If Super Mario Run sold 300 Million Copies then there's really no arguing Nintendo should just go full mobile, because that's ridiculous. That one low-cost development game would make more profit then the entire company has in years.

This.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

13 billion downloads, which will generate 90 trillion dollars to Nintendo.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

fleischr said:

I predict about 300 million paid downloads lifetime

Well Done, that is the worst prediction on this forum since that guy predicted the 3DS will sell 500 Million guaranteed

GProgrammer said:
fleischr said:

Well Done, that is the worst prediction on this forum since that guy predicted the 3DS will sell 500 Million guaranteed

LOL

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

GProgrammer said:
fleischr said:

At least there is potentially 500million buyers for the 3ds in the world though even if that would mean 1 in every 4 households in the world having one (given a 4 person per household scenario)

For the 300m sales of Super Mario Run to work out, given 1 billion devices with somewhere between 2 to 9 Apple devices (for a person who has never bought a single thing from them like myself, to 9 Apple devices all using 1 account as per Potato_Hamster's situation) per unique user this 300m sales would need to rival the sales predictions of the Atari 2600 version of E.T. where there was more copies of the game produced than sales of Atari 2600 Hardware, it is a higher prediction of software than hardware (with unique accounts) that can run it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive