By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict: How many paid downloads will get Super Mario Run get?

BraLoD said:
Don't have the slightest clue to be honest.
$10 is really not coming close to the amount you could expect if it was free like Pokemon Go, so...
1M?

Pokemon go has a pretty large base of paid players. A large number of who have admittedly spent more than $10.

I think the price point will get overlooked for 2 reasons. 1) It's Christmas. 2) It's Mario on the damn iphone.

It'll probably cross 1 million paid downloads the first day.

Fun fact to remember. Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU sold something close to over a million the first weekend it was out. We're talking a much lower price point over a near infinitely larger user base.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

Best Selling Paid Mobile Games

Tetris - 425 Million
Minecraft - 30 Million
Angry Birds - 12 Million
Sonic the Hedgehog - 8 Million
Fruit Ninja - 6 Million
Doodle Jump - 5 Million
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - 3 Million
Plauge Inc - 2 Million

Super Mario Run has as much chance of reaching 300 million paid downloads as... errr... can't think of anything.

fleischr said:

Factors to consider:

-The 60 million people who bought a 3DS are pretty likely to buy this game too

So why 50 million of these 60 million people didn't buy NSMB2 or Super Mario 3D Land?

Barkley said:
fleischr said:

It's not crazy - it's just the scale of what the mobile market really is. All the big smartphone games easily coast by 1 billion downloads. Given the name recognition of the IP and how heavily Apple themselves are promoting it, it'll cross into that strasphere a lot more easily than you might imagine.

I don't take issue with 1 billion downloads, I take issue with you saying a $10 game will get 300 million purchases.

Minecraft is the 2nd best selling paid mobile game of all time and has a little over 30 million purchases at $7. Super Mario Run won't do close to 300 Million, Tetris is the only game to beat that nothing else comes even REMOTELY close.

Angry birds paid attach rate has hovered between 15-50% paid downloads depending on the release. And various installments of that series to this point have flown past 1 billion downloads fairly easily.

Source: https://aytm.com/blog/research-junction/angry-birds-addiction/#sthash.0qgYwXI8.dpbs - A bit old, but proves something of my point.

I say easily over 20 million end of this year. Quote me on this.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
fleischr said:

Pokemon go has a pretty large base of paid players. A large number of who have admittedly spent more than $10.

I think the price point will get overlooked for 2 reasons. 1) It's Christmas. 2) It's Mario on the damn iphone.

It'll probably cross 1 million paid downloads the first day.

Fun fact to remember. Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU sold something close to over a million the first weekend it was out. We're talking a much lower price point over a near infinitely larger user base.

Spending money on in-game purchases and actually purchasing the game are two VERY different things.
People are way more likely to start spending on a game they have been playing already than to pay to start playing it, $10 for a mobile game is quite the high price, even there is a big interest around it, don't even compare it to console game sales, they are nothing alike, at all.

The price point is an issue elsewhere - but the context here is special.

Let me put it this way....

30 million people on a 100 million user base on the Wii paid $25-$60 for NSMB

40 million-ish people bought SMB on NES in the same price range.

Super Mario World sold at least 20 million.

Successful Nintendo consoles have a potential reach of 40-100 million users. Expand that reach by 20x and drop the price of the SW by 50%-80%

8-10 million paid (would still be a lot considering Nintendo will get a much larger cut of the profits than they did with PoGo)

Around 1-2mil first year, methinks. That would put it among the most successful paid apps on the store

fleischr said:
Barkley said:

I don't take issue with 1 billion downloads, I take issue with you saying a $10 game will get 300 million purchases.

Minecraft is the 2nd best selling paid mobile game of all time and has a little over 30 million purchases at $7. Super Mario Run won't do close to 300 Million, Tetris is the only game to beat that nothing else comes even REMOTELY close.

Angry birds paid attach rate has hovered between 15-50% paid downloads depending on the release.

Source: https://aytm.com/blog/research-junction/angry-birds-addiction/#sthash.0qgYwXI8.dpbs - A bit old, but proves something of my point.

Your source is taken from a sample size of 500 people... that's not evidence of anything. The only information we have is the original game sold 12 million after a year on the market. Let me just post this again.

Best Selling Paid Mobile Games

Tetris - 425 Million   (was priced at $0.99)
Minecraft - 30 Million
Angry Birds - 12 Million
Sonic the Hedgehog - 8 Million
Fruit Ninja - 6 Million
Doodle Jump - 5 Million
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - 3 Million
Plauge Inc - 2 Million

The chance of Super Mario Run exceeding 300 million sales is practically non-existant.

The OP's prediction has to be based on the 1billion ios devices PR announcement a while ago, but even at that joke figure, Given that I have 2 of those devices and I would not invest money in itunes ever then you have to factor in that a lot of the 1billion devices are either cases where many devices are owned by a single person and have 1 account on them (even 2 devices per person would half the number to 500m potential sales with 100% of owners buying it) and then you have to factor in of the 500m potential users of iDevices how many of those actually ever use their phone for anything other than just being a phone, let alone how many would ever consider spending money or time on a game, you are looking at maybe 1 in 10 so cuts down the potential buyers of the game to close to 50m at best, given Mario's attach rates on consoles are pretty high I would wager this will life time sell around 5-7m copies of the $10 version based on around 10% of the gamers on ios

This is just based on the ios version of the game and not taking Android into account, it is far harder to nail down numbers for android devices which are actively in use.

Regardless of anything though, to think you're going to get 300m sales on 1billion devices is insane.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive