By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Production Ends this week [Eurogamer] RIP

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-01-nintendo-to-end-wii-u-production-this-week

Nintendo will end Wii U production this Friday, multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

At the last official count, as of 30th September, Nintendo had shipped 13.36m Wii U consoles. The Wii U's final tally will likely now be only slightly more.

For comparisons sake, GameCube sold 21m. N64 sold 32m. Wii sold 101m.

Nintendo's Japanese production line will shut down for the last time this week after the final deadline for orders passed yesterday, Eurogamer understands. Only a small number of further orders were placed.

Wii U launched back in November 2012 and quickly shifted a couple of million units, although sales have been steady to slow ever since.

Goodbye you weird little console

Around the Network

What happened to they will continue to support the WiiU after NX? They arent even making anymore WiiUs 4 months before NX release lol.

Maybe an even 14 million produced. Anyways rest in peace WiiU, it deserved better from everyone

Rest in peace, poor WiiU.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Well well.... they will definetely change the focus of production to Nintendo Switch, right?

They may still have a good stock of WiiU´s in Japan, I believe.

Around the Network

Now just stop the production of 3DS and focus on the Switch.

SpokenTruth said:
Drakrami said:
What happened to they will continue to support the WiiU after NX? They arent even making anymore WiiUs 4 months before NX release lol.

Continuing support means releasing games, not manufacturing more units.

Lol are they even doing that after this week?

Eurogamer didnt write that "Goodbye you weird little console" part.

Its weird to think the Wii U wont ever go much higher than 14m.
Nintendo will turn things around with the switch.

Hey, that means that it's a collectors item now production has ceased. Run out and get yours now before the scalpers beat you to it!

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

I wish I could say it had a good run. It didn't. It deserved better from everyone. Including Nintendo.