By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

Epic fail. Man, I love it when Nintendo are doing well.

Around the Network

Hilarious how majority of nintendo haters (except Barney) literally pussied out. Props to Barney to admitting his errors. Too bad some people just try to push it away and act like they weren't toxic.

Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You should hear reviewtechusa's spin on it. According to him, the most powerful console lost every generation due to a unique fluke. N64 lost because of carts and a third party exodus. MS lost because it was new to the market vs the PS2. Wii won because it was a fad.

Or to put it another way...

Being easy to make games for trumps better graphics and no load times (PS1/N64).

Having good third party support and consumer confidence trumps better graphics (Xbox/PS2).

Being half the price of the competition and a good early lineup trumps graphics (PS3/360/Wii).

It's almost as if anything and everything is more important than graphics to your average consumer. 

People doubted that? :O

It's not the most important but it is up there: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/02/26/the-top-reason-for-choosing-ps4-over-xbox-one-is-resolution-according-to-nielsen/comment-page-3/

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ka-pi96 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's not the most important but it is up there: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/02/26/the-top-reason-for-choosing-ps4-over-xbox-one-is-resolution-according-to-nielsen/comment-page-3/

What's their reason for choosing PS4 over PC then? Because that one's surely not resolution

If I was conducting the study I'd be able to ask them.

But I assume this was a console related question and they wanted to buy a console  ¯_(ツ)_/¯

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I thought this thread was without sense even when was made, but now it's just hilarious. :D

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Lauster said:

Nor you and others that want to see Switch as a 9th gen

Logically speaking, if Switch and PS4 are the same generation, then Switch must also be in the same generation as the 3DS and Wii U. Since that doesn't make sense, Switch is not a part of the same generation as the PS4.

I'm at this point not so sure if the categorization into generations makes sense outside of a manufacturer. Clearly the Switch is a uccessor to WiiU and 3DS, and is in the next generation. But putting it together with generations of other manufacturers might be troubling. This worked for a long time, as the main competitors always more or less matched their cycles. Sega was doing faster cycles, but they started later and had to catch up and later on they were thrown out as a main competitor.

But recently the cycles were going out of sync. While usually generations were around 6 years, the manufacturers started to differ. While the Wii lasted the usual 6 years (WiiU came 2012, Wii 2006), the main competitors PS3 and X306 lasted longer. The PS3 came 2006, but the PS4 was 2013, so 7 years later. The Xbox360 already released in 2005, the X1 in 2013, so it lasted even 8 years. Nintendo on the other hand cut their cycle short, the Switch now released 5 years after the WiiU (although you could argue it is in line with the 3DS). At this point we cannot be sure Switch will compete against PS5 (maybe Nintendo takes another short and Sony another long cycle), so putting it in the same generation is a bit early. At this point it is clear Switch will seriously compete against PS4, except Sony announces now PS5 and releases it next year. As PS4 still is selling well, I don't see that happening.

So Switch may or may not be later competing against PS5, but that only means the generations of the different manufacturers are overlapping.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Op disappeared like Batman in the Doomsday fight.

OTBWY said:
habam said:

switch is 9th gen, its competing with the ps5, not ps4. The Wii U was the PS4s equivalent.

Utter nonsense. The generational categorization is moot when there is no fictional PS5, with "mid-gen" upgrades being released. The Switch is competing with the PS4 or whatever else is on the market right now. It's that simple.

A next generation starts when a company releases it's next console.  Ninteno is the first to do so, therefore it's the start of the 9th gen.  

To all who believe generations are "stupid" - these terms don't have to make sense to you.  They are in place to identify time periods of consoles apart when discussing video games.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
OTBWY said:

Utter nonsense. The generational categorization is moot when there is no fictional PS5, with "mid-gen" upgrades being released. The Switch is competing with the PS4 or whatever else is on the market right now. It's that simple.

A next generation starts when a company releases it's next console.  Ninteno is the first to do so, therefore it's the start of the 9th gen.  

To all who believe generations are "stupid" - these terms don't have to make sense to you.  They are in place to identify time periods of consoles apart when discussing video games.

Perhaps their brain power is too limited in order for it to make sense.

IkePoR said:
OTBWY said:

A gen doesn't make sense when A: A new iteration has been released in the middle of the lifecycles of its competitors and B: The competition has already released more powerful hardware of the same console in the current gen. It really doesn't make sense to use it anymore when the reason to categorize is no longer relevant. The time that a company released a single console and stuck to that hardware for 5-7 years is over. That is my opinion on it anyway.