By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

sethnintendo said:
IkePoR said:

A next generation starts when a company releases it's next console.  Ninteno is the first to do so, therefore it's the start of the 9th gen.  

To all who believe generations are "stupid" - these terms don't have to make sense to you.  They are in place to identify time periods of consoles apart when discussing video games.

Perhaps their brain power is too limited in order for it to make sense.

My brain power is fine thank you, there's no need to be insulting. All that i'm saying is that the notion that because the Nintendo Switch is 9th gen, it doesn't compete with 8th gen consoles, such as the PS4. I find that to be nonsense. The Switch is competing with the PS4 and the Xbox One. A new fictional gen doesn't automatically cancel out competition in the market right now.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
sethnintendo said:

Perhaps their brain power is too limited in order for it to make sense.

My brain power is fine thank you, there's no need to be insulting. All that i'm saying is that the notion that because the Nintendo Switch is 9th gen, it doesn't compete with 8th gen consoles, such as the PS4. I find that to be nonsense. The Switch is competing with the PS4 and the Xbox One. A new fictional gen doesn't automatically cancel out competition in the market right now.

^ Makes sense to me. The Switch is competing against 8th gen consoles and that's all that matters right now. Whether you want to call it 9th gen or not, it doesn't put it in some bubble on it's own.

I personally don't see any use in classing it in any gen right now. For all we know the PS5 won't come out until 2020 or later and a Switch sucessor could be out as early as 2022 meaning for the majority of the lifecycle of the Switch 2 a 10th gen console would be in the lifecycle of the 9th gen PS5.

Last edited by Green098 - on 31 October 2017

lol i remember this thread and the other thread made by op predicting doom. Typed all that then claim to not care to lmao

OTBWY said:
IkePoR said:

A next generation starts when a company releases it's next console.  Ninteno is the first to do so, therefore it's the start of the 9th gen.  

To all who believe generations are "stupid" - these terms don't have to make sense to you.  They are in place to identify time periods of consoles apart when discussing video games.

A gen doesn't make sense when A: A new iteration has been released in the middle of the lifecycles of its competitors and B: The competition has already released more powerful hardware of the same console in the current gen. It really doesn't make sense to use it anymore when the reason to categorize is no longer relevant. The time that a company released a single console and stuck to that hardware for 5-7 years is over. That is my opinion on it anyway.

Again, the terms are under no obligation to make sense to you.  

The New 3DS exists and is still part of the 8th generation.

Power of hardware has no signifigance in the concept of the console generation.

Length of hardware lifecycle has no signifigance in the concept of the console generation.

You are entitled to your opinion on this site, however.  No matter how wrong they may be.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Wyrdness said:
Op disappeared like Batman in the Doomsday fight.

I think I saw bananaking in one of the PGW threads.

Around the Network

I think BananaKing might still be right in a way. Look, Switch is selling fast but software sales tell the same story told before with the Wii and the WiiU : first party shines but 3rd parties bite the dust. At some point Switch is bound to struggle from its weak library and the lack of 3rd party exclusives. It may end up far stronger than the WiiU, but it will have had the same trajectory.

ryuzaki57 said:
I think BananaKing might still be right in a way. Look, Switch is selling fast but software sales tell the same story told before with the Wii and the WiiU : first party shines but 3rd parties bite the dust. At some point Switch is bound to struggle from its weak library and the lack of 3rd party exclusives. It may end up far stronger than the WiiU, but it will have had the same trajectory.

I feel that opinion is born of hope, rather than any real logic.

ryuzaki57 said:

i think the indie's want to have a word with you...
and i have a little feeling that bethesda will have it too.. and Ubisoft.. and... you get my point.. they are selling games and they are selling well so no.. it is not just 1st party games that sell
you are just wanting it to fail, you can just admit to that instead

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said:

I'm at this point not so sure if the categorization into generations makes sense outside of a manufacturer. Clearly the Switch is a uccessor to WiiU and 3DS, and is in the next generation. But putting it together with generations of other manufacturers might be troubling. This worked for a long time, as the main competitors always more or less matched their cycles. Sega was doing faster cycles, but they started later and had to catch up and later on they were thrown out as a main competitor.

But recently the cycles were going out of sync. While usually generations were around 6 years, the manufacturers started to differ. While the Wii lasted the usual 6 years (WiiU came 2012, Wii 2006), the main competitors PS3 and X306 lasted longer. The PS3 came 2006, but the PS4 was 2013, so 7 years later. The Xbox360 already released in 2005, the X1 in 2013, so it lasted even 8 years. Nintendo on the other hand cut their cycle short, the Switch now released 5 years after the WiiU (although you could argue it is in line with the 3DS). At this point we cannot be sure Switch will compete against PS5 (maybe Nintendo takes another short and Sony another long cycle), so putting it in the same generation is a bit early. At this point it is clear Switch will seriously compete against PS4, except Sony announces now PS5 and releases it next year. As PS4 still is selling well, I don't see that happening.

So Switch may or may not be later competing against PS5, but that only means the generations of the different manufacturers are overlapping.

The cycle has gone out of sync because Nintendo is the only company who didn't deviate from the norm. If you grant Sony the benefit of a long PS4 lifecycle, you should be consistent and do the same for Switch, especially because Switch sales do not point towards a short lifecycle.

Since Switch is also a 3DS successor, it creates some unique circumstances. For the past two generations, handhelds have launched notably earlier than the home consoles of the same generation, but handhelds also tend to get ignored, so quite a few people perceive Switch as too soon to be called 9th gen. The other big point is that Sony has been eliminated from the handheld market, so there's no counterpart to Nintendo's portable console anymore. The lack of such a competitor further fuels the perception that Switch isn't 9th gen, but you can't blame Nintendo for addressing the handheld market when it was time to introduce the next generation.

The reasons given for categorizing Switch as 8th gen are the same that would put the Dreamcast into gen 5. However, nobody has been logically consistent and called the Dreamcast 5th gen yet.

You are correct about generations overlapping more than in the past. That's the result of console gaming branching of into two different directions. On one hand you have Nintendo who still provide typical console gaming, on the other hand you have Sony and Microsoft who lured PC developers to consoles and step by step turned their consoles more into dumbed down PCs. Since the two paths are very different, it makes sense that generations do not align as tight anymore as they used to, because the underlying philosophies do not demand launches in close proximity of each other.

Well, you say it yourself, the generations don't line up. Therefore I see not much sense in declaring Switch in the same gen as PS4 or PS5. If we assume PS4 and Switch both follow a normal console-lifecycle, then Switch will be 2.5 years on market with PS4and 3.5 years with PS5. Declaring it to be in the same generation as either of them is illogical. As far as we know, both could deviate from the lifecylce again and making the differences even bigger.

Also Nintendo did deviate earlier, the GBA had only 3.5 years as the DS came out.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

ryuzaki57 said:

Didn't you hear? Some 3rd-parties already said they had their best sales on Switch and some more had the best sales outside of PC on Switch. That somehow contradicts your claim that 3rd-party bites the dust.

You may say that these declarations are only from small indie devs, but basically if the big 3rd-parties failed to support Switch, they obviously can't sell. We'll see how Doom and Skyrim go, the first real big 3rd-party games. Before that your statement is too early.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]