By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

Wyrdness said:
OTBWY said:
Some people are seriously still in denial.

Feels like they're death row waiting for Pokemon to end it all.

Pokemon: Executioner confirmed! :P

I actually am intrigued in seeing how Pokemon will fare with a mainline game heading to a home console/hybrid system with greater tech than any of the handhelds ever released. This will not only be Pokemon's only third foray into HD (Rumble U and Pokken being the first two), but the first in the mainline series' history. So you bet your ass that expectations will be huge due to the series' prestige (well-received and addictive games, though favorites may very among the fandom), consistently great sales (the recent mainline games selling ~15-18 million), potential increase in sales due to interest and demand for a home console mainline game for years, and being a constant money maker (not sure if any other franchise besides Mario, and maybe GTA and CoD, come close). Plus, the ever lasting hopes and dreams of what fans could hope for in this upcoming Switch title (MMO, open-world with over 800 Pokemon and potentially counting, etc.)

Around the Network
Bajablo said: and i have a little feeling that bethesda will have it too.. and Ubisoft.. and... you get my point.. they are selling games and they are selling well

Actually I really don't. Maybe you could enlighten me with the high sales figures of Ubi and Bethesda on Switch?

What I know is :

- Nights of Azure 2 Switch sold 13% of total in Japan, 8 times less than PS versions

- Fate Extella sold 15 times less than on PS platforms in Japan

- FIFA18 Switch has vanished from EU charts and showed up low in the NPD Switch chart

- NBA2K18 Switch barely showed up in EU charts

We'll have more data in the next 2 months but so far 3rd parties on Switch haven't set worldwide charts on fire, while PS4 3rd parties are always in good position.

Also, Ubi is just porting old games on Switch and keeps its big projects for PS4 (AC, Far Cry, etc.) so it's not an example of solid 3rd party support.

I am so glad I was reminded of this topic. I am not going to bring up old stuff but it was very good for the chuckles.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

ryuzaki57 said:
Bajablo said: and i have a little feeling that bethesda will have it too.. and Ubisoft.. and... you get my point.. they are selling games and they are selling well

Actually I really don't. Maybe you could enlighten me with the high sales figures of Ubi and Bethesda on Switch?

What I know is :

- Nights of Azure 2 Switch sold 13% of total in Japan, 8 times less than PS versions

- FIFA18 Switch has vanished from EU charts and showed up low in the NPD Switch chart

We'll have more data in the next 2 months but so far 3rd parties on Switch haven't set worldwide charts on fire, while PS4 3rd parties are always in good position.

Also, Ubi is just porting old games on Switch and keeps its big projects for PS4 (AC, Far Cry, etc.) so it's not an example of solid 3rd party support.

Regarding Ubisoft , do you think Mario and Rabbids was not a big project? Because last time I checked Mario was quite a big IP to work with. Easy to cherry pick things, for instance you could have mentioned the solid sales for Bomberman, Street fighter 2, Lego games and a lot of Indies that have claimed their games have sold best on Switch. Indies do count you know. Bethesda supporting Switch is an indication the tide is turning slightly. Last edited by zippy - on 01 November 2017

ryuzaki57 said:

What I know is :

you don't have a switch and havn't been looking at the eshop i take it..

wait your 2 months m8.. i'll wait for you.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Around the Network
ryuzaki57 said:
I think BananaKing might still be right in a way. Look, Switch is selling fast but software sales tell the same story told before with the Wii and the WiiU : first party shines but 3rd parties bite the dust. At some point Switch is bound to struggle from its weak library and the lack of 3rd party exclusives. It may end up far stronger than the WiiU, but it will have had the same trajectory.

What 3rd party games have suffered?  Xenoverse 2, Disgea 5, NBA2k, etc have been a hit.  Let alone the hype for DOOM and Wolfenstein 2 on the Switch.

The only POSSIBLE example you can give is FIFA18, which is more people speaking with their wallets that we want full games on Switch rather than watered down half games.

With such a bold statement you must have some kind of evidence to back it up.  It's ok, I'll wait.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

ryuzaki57 said:
I think BananaKing might still be right in a way. Look, Switch is selling fast but software sales tell the same story told before with the Wii and the WiiU : first party shines but 3rd parties bite the dust. At some point Switch is bound to struggle from its weak library and the lack of 3rd party exclusives. It may end up far stronger than the WiiU, but it will have had the same trajectory.

With all the stories of third party games doing well? Or are you focusing exclusively on FIFA here? Third parties are successful on Switch so far. The question is can bigger titles sell, too? We will know more about this next month as November will bring us Resident Evil, L.A. Noire, Lego, Skyrim, Doom, etc. You can't judge a console's ability to sell third party titles solely on some late ports performing worse than their original versions on PS4. That's quite stretching it. Look at the numbers: The flow of Switch titles is growing exponentially, many Indies have said their games were the most successful on the Switch, Bomberman, Street Fighter, Dragonball, etc. all sold well. There won't be a PS Vita or 3DS in Japan anymore in 2018, so where else should japanese third parties go? Nintendo consciously made room for third parties in November to give them a chance to sell because the release schedule is so stuffed with third party games. And we just had news that Nintendo increased its forceast from 10 to 14 million Switch units this fiscal year, so 4 million additional customers for third parties. 

KLAMarine said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Was the Switch, in OP's words, dead on arrival or not?

Yes and that statement is indeed incorrect. That's why I said "in a way" or partially if you prefer. OP also says that "Nintendo is doing the same mistakes as they did with WiiU" and that "it was WiiU all over again". That is I think not proven wrong so far, because the imbalance between 1st and 3rd party is looking essentially the same as with previous systems.

I plan to make a big analysis thread on Switch and 3rd parties in early Jan. 18 so let's all meet and discuss the situation there. I'll answer a few important point but let's get done with this thread.

Regarding Ubisoft , do you think Mario and Rabbids was not a big project?  

It is a big and successful project, but it's not a 3rd party game.

Regarding the indies talk, yes Switch is the ultimate indy machine, Bravo! But indies won't make the difference.

The flow of Switch titles is growing exponentially, many Indies have said their games were the most successful on the Switch, Bomberman, Street Fighter, Dragonball, etc. all sold well. There won't be a PS Vita or 3DS in Japan anymore in 2018, so where else should japanese third parties go

No, Switch currently has 4 games scheduled for Q1 2018 in Japan, PS4 has 20. In the whole 2018, Switch has 20 3rd party games and PS4 60. Nothing "exponentional" here.

And yes there are several PSVita games scheduled for 2018.

ryuzaki57 said:
KLAMarine said:

Was the Switch, in OP's words, dead on arrival or not?

Yes and that statement is indeed incorrect. That's why I said "in a way" or partially if you prefer. OP also says that "Nintendo is doing the same mistakes as they did with WiiU" and that "it was WiiU all over again". That is I think not proven wrong so far, because the imbalance between 1st and 3rd party is looking essentially the same as with previous systems.

I plan to make a big analysis thread on Switch and 3rd parties in early Jan. 18 so let's all meet and discuss the situation there. I'll answer a few important point but let's get done with this thread.

Regarding Ubisoft , do you think Mario and Rabbids was not a big project?  

It is a big and successful project, but it's not a 3rd party game.

Regarding the indies talk, yes Switch is the ultimate indy machine, Bravo! But indies won't make the difference.

The flow of Switch titles is growing exponentially, many Indies have said their games were the most successful on the Switch, Bomberman, Street Fighter, Dragonball, etc. all sold well. There won't be a PS Vita or 3DS in Japan anymore in 2018, so where else should japanese third parties go

No, Switch currently has 4 games scheduled for Q1 2018 in Japan, PS4 has 20. In the whole 2018, Switch has 20 3rd party games and PS4 60. Nothing "exponentional" here.

And yes there are several PSVita games scheduled for 2018.

Ever heard of games being.... ya'know ...announced for Switch? Crazy concept i know. Pretty sure there will be a Nintendo direct before the year is out and the small matter of games will be addressed. Both for Japan and other territories. Both 1st and 3rd party. Am willing to bet your 20 PS4 games vs. "4"  Switch games will have no effect whatsoever on the weekly sales massacres appearing every week in Japan.

SpokenTruth said:
ryuzaki57 said:

The agony of a foe succeeding is taking its toll on the psyche to the point of delving into madness and dementia. It seeks out any shred of negativity to cling to.  The last bastion of hope.  It comforts the weariness, self doubt and insecurities. It wants it, it needs it.

With trembling hands this post was submitted.  Eyes nearly welled up with tears.  Prayers spoken that kindred souls will echo the irrationality and drown out the voices of reason. Prayers spoken that 3rd parties will see the light and doom the hybrid console to a life of irrelevance.  Prayers spoken that the internal circuitry of the bastard child of a home and portable console fail to render title screens.

The lost cause of denial making a final attempt of resurrecting the glory days of a foe's defeat. The crusade must be carried on....at all costs.

This thread was worth it just for this post, it reminds me of a nature documentary.