By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Misleading Playstation 4 Slim advertisement?

I mean, I thought the OP was a joke and that this was ridiculous, but apparently people here are taking it seriously. Okay then. Imma just back slowly away.

Around the Network

I echo the sentiment that they meant currently, but yeah I can see how that can be seen dishonest. Not a huge deal but I guess they didn't wanna put "currently" somewhere in there.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

RavenXtra said:
Somehow this ambiguity would be classified as "misleading" and "false advertising" if applied to Microsoft, but in this case it's oh so obvious. Interesting

Stop baiting.  In the English translation from Wright, it is obvious.  "Best selling" means best selling unless there is something to modify that.  Present tense is present tense.  Doing the tired "oh, but people react differently if it's about X instead of Y" just seems silly and reactionary in this case--in most cases, actually, as you have different people reacting in different ways.  Every damn thing gets spun up from someone and spun down from someone.  

Now, if it's something different in Spanish then that's a different situation but most people are commenting on the English in the OP.  

RavenXtra said:
Somehow this ambiguity would be classified as "misleading" and "false advertising" if applied to Microsoft, but in this case it's oh so obvious. Interesting

The truth is people would be saying it is misleading with others saying it is obvious very much the same as occurring here. The same would happen for Nintendo. Were you just kidding with this statement or are you being serious?

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Its like saying the 3DS is the best selling handheld console.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Well it's sort of misleading because the 3ds is the best selling console this gen and the ps2 of all time. The should have said best-selling home console this generation.

Maybe they twisted the meaning a bit since the console hasn't surpassed the PS2, but by best-selling they probably didn't mean most-selling, and they most likely meant "fastest-selling", which is technically true.

bunchanumbers said:
Isn't it false advertising? 3DS has more sales.

Even including the 3ds, right now the PS4 is outselling the plucky handheld 3 units to 2, I don't think the 3ds has had a week of sales above the PS4 in the past couple of months recorded on here, and I mean global figures.

As for this being misleading? I mean, the statement in english is pretty clear they are talking about presently, but I could understand it might bave been a bit different in Spanish.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

pokoko said:
RavenXtra said:

Stop baiting.  In the English translation from Wright, it is obvious.  "Best selling" means best selling unless there is something to modify that.  Present tense is present tense.  Doing the tired "oh, but people react differently if it's about X instead of Y" just seems silly and reactionary in this case--in most cases, actually, as you have different people reacting in different ways.  Every damn thing gets spun up from someone and spun down from someone.  

Now, if it's something different in Spanish then that's a different situation but most people are commenting on the English in the OP.  

I'm baiting? News to me, thanks for the fantastic insight.

Also yes, best-selling means best-selling. As in a total number of units, especially when accompanied by "in the world". It might be just a 'tad' ambiguous and maybe even "misleading" to put such a label on a currently selling system that has yet to surpass any of its predecessors in terms of total amounts sold. If they meant to say fastest-selling, then why not just say fastest-selling? Or even if they meant best-selling as in "best-selling 8th gen console", why not specify? As people are pointing out, its a very ambiguous and (depending on what kind of connotation you view the word with) potentially misleading type of statement to make when you could just.. say what you actually mean.

Acevil said:
Wright, obviously you are bashing Sony, and insert sony defensive comment here.

In all honestly, they most likely mean currently best selling console.

that was my first thought.  It's the best selling console currently/in the current year/in the current gen.

I am Iron Man