By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Misleading Playstation 4 Slim advertisement?

BraLoD said:

Your post here is simply against the rules, even if you contacted a mod.
I wasn't either trying to mod you or give you a moral lesson, just warn you this wasn't the right place, for your own good.

Anyway, lesson learned, don't worry.

But the point cannot be made clearly without an example. I wasn't aware it WAS against the rules though. Can you point me to the relevent section, please?

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Wow, the gall of them to advertise at the expense of their competitors. The era of good guy Sony certainly was a short lived one.

You just take every chance you can get don't you lol. You're persistent I'll give you that.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

So either this is a well crafted satirical thread or common sense really is lost on some people lol. Come on, OBVIOUSLY they're not saying of all-time. They're saying its the best selling console CURRENTLY. If this thread is serious then this is the very definition of nitpicking and grasping for straws.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

RavenXtra said:
pokoko said:

Stop baiting.  In the English translation from Wright, it is obvious.  "Best selling" means best selling unless there is something to modify that.  Present tense is present tense.  Doing the tired "oh, but people react differently if it's about X instead of Y" just seems silly and reactionary in this case--in most cases, actually, as you have different people reacting in different ways.  Every damn thing gets spun up from someone and spun down from someone.  

Now, if it's something different in Spanish then that's a different situation but most people are commenting on the English in the OP.  

I'm baiting? News to me, thanks for the fantastic insight.

Also yes, best-selling means best-selling. As in a total number of units, especially when accompanied by "in the world". It might be just a 'tad' ambiguous and maybe even "misleading" to put such a label on a currently selling system that has yet to surpass any of its predecessors in terms of total amounts sold. If they meant to say fastest-selling, then why not just say fastest-selling? Or even if they meant best-selling as in "best-selling 8th gen console", why not specify? As people are pointing out, its a very ambiguous and (depending on what kind of connotation you view the word with) potentially misleading type of statement to make when you could just.. say what you actually mean.

It's present tense. How is this even a conversation?

When Ford says the F-series pickup is "The best selling pickup for 39 years" they don't mean that it became the best selling pickup of all time 39 years ago.

When an ad for a movie comes on and it says "The #1 movie in America!" They're talking about it's opening weekend.

"In the world" and "Of all time" aren't used interchangably.

In fact. If last generation while advertising the PS3 Sony had called themselves "The number one console maker in the world" that, while technically true, would have been misleading. Since it meant absolutely nothing with regards to their current product.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Goodnightmoon said:
pokoko said:

It's not ambiguous, it's simple English.  Selling is present tense and needs no modification.  At the end of the last generation, the PS3 was normally the best selling console in the world even though the Xbox 360 had sold more units.  If you want to communicate something beyond the present then you need a modification, such as "of all time" or "over the last decade".  

The best selling console in the world is the PS4.  You look on the New York Times Best Sellers list and it has the book that is selling the most right now at the top, not Don Quixote or A Tale of Two Cities.  Books that make the list are called "Best Selling" even though they've sold a fraction of Harry Potter or And Then There Were None.  False advertising?  Of course not.  There is no modification so most people understand that it means at the time.

Nor does it mean fastest selling, which is something different.

Selling would be translated like "vendiendo" in spanish, that's something that is happening now, but the ad says "vendida" wich can be translated as "sold" which sounds like is a definitive thing that already happened and even more when it finishes the sentence with "of the world" because that is sometimes used almost the same way as "of the history".

As I said in my previous post, I don't know anything about how it's written in Spanish so I can't comment on that.