By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Misleading Playstation 4 Slim advertisement?

No.

Around the Network

Slightly misleading, but misunderstanding that requires almost purposeful misinterpretation. It's pretty obvious it refers to the relevant situation, i.e. the current console generation.

So let me get this straight: This thread is still open due to one sentence: 'The worlds best selling console'

But my thread, which was about a gameplay video that hid the fact the 4K footage was on PC behind the 'show more' option, was posted on an XBox Youtube channel, started with the XBox logo and ended with an advert for the XB1s was locked because it wasn't considered misleading.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=219546&page=1

Something isn't right here.

The PS5 Exists. 

/facepalm... dont even know what present tense is.

Sony have done amazing getting to their position. They should be bragging and I'm glad they are.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

That's not the place for this kind of stuff Briggle.
Look up for a mod to help you.

My friend, I've seen your posting habits in some XB1 game related thread so please don't presume the moral upper hand with me.

The PS5 Exists. 

This senseless Sony bashing needs to stop.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

RavenXtra said:
pokoko said:

Stop baiting.  In the English translation from Wright, it is obvious.  "Best selling" means best selling unless there is something to modify that.  Present tense is present tense.  Doing the tired "oh, but people react differently if it's about X instead of Y" just seems silly and reactionary in this case--in most cases, actually, as you have different people reacting in different ways.  Every damn thing gets spun up from someone and spun down from someone.  

Now, if it's something different in Spanish then that's a different situation but most people are commenting on the English in the OP.  

I'm baiting? News to me, thanks for the fantastic insight.

Also yes, best-selling means best-selling. As in a total number of units, especially when accompanied by "in the world". It might be just a 'tad' ambiguous and maybe even "misleading" to put such a label on a currently selling system that has yet to surpass any of its predecessors in terms of total amounts sold. If they meant to say fastest-selling, then why not just say fastest-selling? Or even if they meant best-selling as in "best-selling 8th gen console", why not specify? As people are pointing out, its a very ambiguous and (depending on what kind of connotation you view the word with) potentially misleading type of statement to make when you could just.. say what you actually mean.

It's not ambiguous, it's simple English.  Selling is present tense and needs no modification.  At the end of the last generation, the PS3 was normally the best selling console in the world even though the Xbox 360 had sold more units.  If you want to communicate something beyond the present then you need a modification, such as "of all time" or "over the last decade".  

The best selling console in the world is the PS4.  You look on the New York Times Best Sellers list and it has the book that is selling the most right now at the top, not Don Quixote or A Tale of Two Cities.  Books that make the list are called "Best Selling" even though they've sold a fraction of Harry Potter or And Then There Were None.  False advertising?  Of course not.  There is no modification so most people understand that it means at the time.

Nor does it mean fastest selling, which is something different.

BraLoD said:

It's nothing to do with moral or whatever you may think about my posting habits regarding anything, it was a word of advice so you won't get in trouble but heh, that's what you get back.

Suit yourself.

I posted that AND contacted a mod. This is just senseless and invented. Without my example there would be no point of reference for future threads of this nature. If rules are to be enforced then they have to be enforced evenly.

The PS5 Exists. 

pokoko said:
RavenXtra said:

I'm baiting? News to me, thanks for the fantastic insight.

Also yes, best-selling means best-selling. As in a total number of units, especially when accompanied by "in the world". It might be just a 'tad' ambiguous and maybe even "misleading" to put such a label on a currently selling system that has yet to surpass any of its predecessors in terms of total amounts sold. If they meant to say fastest-selling, then why not just say fastest-selling? Or even if they meant best-selling as in "best-selling 8th gen console", why not specify? As people are pointing out, its a very ambiguous and (depending on what kind of connotation you view the word with) potentially misleading type of statement to make when you could just.. say what you actually mean.

It's not ambiguous, it's simple English.  Selling is present tense and needs no modification.  At the end of the last generation, the PS3 was normally the best selling console in the world even though the Xbox 360 had sold more units.  If you want to communicate something beyond the present then you need a modification, such as "of all time" or "over the last decade".  

The best selling console in the world is the PS4.  You look on the New York Times Best Sellers list and it has the book that is selling the most right now at the top, not Don Quixote or A Tale of Two Cities.  Books that make the list are called "Best Selling" even though they've sold a fraction of Harry Potter or And Then There Were None.  False advertising?  Of course not.  There is no modification so most people understand that it means at the time.

Nor does it mean fastest selling, which is something different.

Selling would be translated like "vendiendo" in spanish, that's something that is happening now, but the ad says "vendida" wich can be translated as "sold" which sounds like is a definitive thing that already happened and even more when it finishes the sentence with "of the world" because that is sometimes used almost the same way as "of the history".