By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Misleading Playstation 4 Slim advertisement?

So, I was watching a Bruce Lee movie on TV (For a change, I barely watch TV anymore!), when a break came in and, to my surprise, a PS4 Slim advert came up. It's the same I'm posting right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL-vWoNFSlQ

Here's the transcription to what's being said, since it's a Spanish advertisement:

"The best-selling console in the world has a new style: smaller, lighter, and full of new ways of playing. Now your videogames will come alive thanks to the amazing HDR pictures. Join the future of gaming with the new and redesigned PS4 for only 299,99. For the players."

Now this is the part I want everyone to focus on:

The best-selling console in the world has a new style: smaller, [...]

No disclaimer is made on the video in regards to this statement, at all. And I'm left wondering, when did Playstation 4 surpassed PS2 in sales? That must have been quite the feat, because I missed it.

So what do you people think? Is it misleading? Are they simply being hyperbolic to boost the impact of the advertisement? We're missing some part of the puzzle?

Around the Network

Wright, obviously you are bashing Sony, and insert sony defensive comment here.

In all honestly, they most likely mean currently best selling console.

I mean, they didn't say of all time. It is the best selling console currently available.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Clearly referring to current generation sales not all-time.

That's why people have the word 'ever'.

Best selling console
And best selling console ever.

And of course the current gen. As obviously it's not outsold the PS3/360 that are still in production(???)

But it's not as snappy putting that in asterisks.

Which is unfortunate I was looking forward to seeing if this bad trend of Sony mishaps would continue, but nah this is okay.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

It's definetly misleading, even if they meant this gen, they didn't specifically say that. They said in the world, no time whatsoever.

Maybe it passed PS2 and Sony just hasn't announced it yet :P

No disclaimer is quite something too :p

Well, they have to sell the system before they start announcing the Pro somehow. Actually, I have a problem with the "and full of new ways of playing" statement. How is the PS4 slim any different from a regular PS4 outside of the size and design?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Misleading is showing 4K PC footage and ending with a console advert ...

The PS5 Exists. 

technically it is the best selling console in the world,right now

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Darwinianevolution said:
Well, they have to sell the system before they start announcing the Pro somehow. Actually, I have a problem with the "and full of new ways of playing" statement. How is the PS4 slim any different from a regular PS4 outside of the size and design?

HDR? But yh, lets pretend thats not a difference at all.

And if you think the Pro is going to cannibalize the sales of the cheaper console.... then you are even more outta touch than your post suggests.