By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Misleading Playstation 4 Slim advertisement?

Faelco said:

I'm not an english speaker, but doesn't "selling" mean "selling at the moment" ? You know, I thought that the "-ing" showed an ongoing action...

So, am I wrong? Or do english speakers complain about something because they don't understand fully their own language?

Thats it

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Wright, obviously you are bashing Sony, and insert sony defensive comment here.

In all honestly, they most likely mean currently best selling console.

Yeah, that's what they could mean, but does it hurt to be a bit more specific? Especially when other advertisements of their do actually make the specification or disclaimer about it?

Normchacho said:
I mean, they didn't say of all time. It is the best selling console currently available.

Well, they said "in the world", and left it there. The ambiguity works in both ways.

superchunk said:
Clearly referring to current generation sales not all-time.

It's not that clearly if the question can be posed in the first place...no?

ArchangelMadzz said:

That's why people have the word 'ever'.

Best selling console
And best selling console ever.

And of course the current gen. As obviously it's not outsold the PS3/360 that are still in production(???)

But it's not as snappy putting that in asterisks.

Which is unfortunate I was looking forward to seeing if this bad trend of Sony mishaps would continue, but nah this is okay.

Thing is, you can't add "ever" in spanish in regards to how the sentence is created. It could very well mean best selling console in the world, like that, or best selling console in the world ever; it's lost in translation either way.

Shadow8 said:

It's definetly misleading, even if they meant this gen, they didn't specifically say that. They said in the world, no time whatsoever.

Maybe it passed PS2 and Sony just hasn't announced it yet :P

No disclaimer is quite something too :p

A small disclaimer wouldn't have hurt anyone. :(

Darwinianevolution said:
Well, they have to sell the system before they start announcing the Pro somehow. Actually, I have a problem with the "and full of new ways of playing" statement. How is the PS4 slim any different from a regular PS4 outside of the size and design?

There's the HDR thing, which I dunno if it can be expanded into more than one full new way, but still...

Hiku said:

Best selling.
PS2 is no longer selling. ;)

But...3DS is, like some people have pointed out here. Unless 3DS isn't a console.

GribbleGrunger said:

Misleading is showing 4K PC footage and ending with a console advert ...

But what does this have to do with the question I'm posing here?

PwerlvlAmy said:
technically it is the best selling console in the world,right now

As in a trend? Because that'd be more contrived, considering like those other users pointed out, that 3DS is the best-selling console in the world, right now. Going by this "in the world" accepted definition here, I guess.

BraLoD said:
I don't even know how to answer to this thread, so I'll be making this my answer, Wright.

You could always share your views in regards to what has been said in here, overall.

Ljink96 said:
Would it hurt to put current gen. That is misleading. And even then, the should put "Home Console" because of 3DS.

That's what I found most interesting. Sony has clearly pointed out a disclaimer like such in other advertisement videos. They didn't here.

bunchanumbers said:
Isn't it false advertising? 3DS has more sales.

Well, that's certainly an angle worth discussing, I think...

Nymeria said:
Selling, meaning it is selling the most right now. Doubt many PS2s being sold this month or year.

Maybe I didn't explain it properly. The way the Spanish advert says it doesn't mean "the console that's currently selling the most in the world", but, as literal as the translation can get, "the best-selling console in the world". If this were to be a trend a disclaimer must have been made, because otherwise the implications of such are lost in Spanish.

Xen said:
The reason this thread was made is the definition of the word "nitpicky".

Well, you know me already. I'm nitpicky and the Devil's Advocate by nature. Besides, a bit of discussion is never a bad thing, no?

Signalstar said:
When a movie claims to be the #1 movie it really means #1 the past weekend. Same situation here.

So it's just past weekend? How do you know? Why not the whole month? Why not the whole gen? Regardless, videogame companies don't work exactly the same as the movie business; they tend to make official sales statements that don't just apply to a single weekend.

twintail said:
This is nitpicking on a whole new level.

Lol wow

Doesn't feel like nitpicking, though, if you were to listen it in Spanish. As the sentence is structured in a way that leaves too much to the imagination.

StarOcean said:
They said that because they know people aren't retarded enough to think they mean all time. It's obvious what they meant when they said that.

So when a different advert made the disclaimer, just to avoid precisely the fact that it could be interpreted the wrong way, means that such advert treated their public in a more retarded way? Or are you saying Playstation consider Spanish people to be more clever than British?

Somehow this ambiguity would be classified as "misleading" and "false advertising" if applied to Microsoft, but in this case it's oh so obvious. Interesting

RavenXtra said:
Somehow this ambiguity would be classified as "misleading" and "false advertising" if applied to Microsoft, but in this case it's oh so obvious. Interesting

What double standards, I don't know of these double standards. These are not the double standard you are looking for. 

Wright said:
StarOcean said:
They said that because they know people aren't retarded enough to think they mean all time. It's obvious what they meant when they said that.

So when a different advert made the disclaimer, just to avoid precisely the fact that it could be interpreted the wrong way, means that such advert treated their public in a more retarded way? Or are you saying Playstation consider Spanish people to be more clever than British?

Is it the same advertising company? Nintendo, Sony, and MS use many different media companies to advertise their products. I'll concede if it is the same advertising company who made it but that can be hard to tell. But honestly, if you understood what is meant then what really is the issue? 

Around the Network
StarOcean said:

Is it the same advertising company? Nintendo, Sony, and MS use many different media companies to advertise their products. I'll concede if it is the same advertising company who made it but that can be hard to tell. But honestly, if you understood what is meant then what really is the issue? 

That's the thing, I didn't fully understand it, hence why I'm posting it here to see people's approach to it. Being translated into English, it seems more clear to everyone else. The original sentence in Spanish? It is still as ambiguous as a J. D. Salinger book.

And then again, one advert got a full disclaimer about it, this one completely left it blank. But it's probably like you said. British people (and myself, out of the exception of the later) are more retarded than Spanish people, hence why they need such things in the first place.

It sounds kind of misleading yes, when you listen the sentence in spanish seems like they talk about the best selling console ever and if you know nothing about console sales is really easy to be confused, which may be what the ad is looking for.

Wright said:
StarOcean said:

That's the thing, I didn't fully understand it, hence why I'm posting it here to see people's approach to it. Being translated into English, it seems more clear to everyone else. The original sentence in Spanish? It is still as ambiguous as a J. D. Salinger book.

And then again, one advert got a full disclaimer about it, this one completely left it blank. But it's probably like you said. British people (and myself, out of the exception of the later) are more retarded than Spanish people, hence why they need such things in the first place.

Alright, if it sounds different in English than Spanish than I will concede my point. I didn't realize they worded it so tricky (thats the word I'll use here) in Spanish.

RavenXtra said:

Do you have an example? I mean...I would be surprised to see people giving MS a hard time for something as benign as this.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Double Post. 

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.