By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

celador said:
Not sure what people's issue is. It's an upgraded option. Meant to compete better with pC, not to be at par with the best ones. Of course Sony have to say otherwise but that is marketing.

Hope Xbox fans don't think Scorpio will be as good as the best PCs either. Will be interesting to see what is said then.

Exactly.  We already have some coming up with pipedreams about it using a top of the line CPU, 12 GB of RAM, and using something higher than a 6 Tflops.  I'm going to laugh if it turns out to be pretty much a PS4 Pro with a better, or just overclocked, GPU.

And people are completely missing the point of this statement.  The VAST majority of gamers on PC don't have a rig as good as the PS4 Pro.  Hell, at the beggining of the gen, Steam revealed that most had something on par, or lower, than the PS4/XB1.  Looks like the Pro is off to a good start, anyway.  It's been in the Top 5 on Amazon for 2 days, now.  It's also #1 on Gamestop.

Around the Network

ok Sony u can complete with pc but In ur dream

FloatingWaffles said:
outlawauron said:

In what way? Because consoles definitely do a lot better at economic part of the competition.

Economically sure, consoles do well because they are simple and easy. Pay $400 for a box that you can place a game into and just play and not have to worry about setting or anything like that. That is the whole point essentially, also exclusives and such as well.

They will never be able to compete with PC because PC is an always evolving thing unlike consoles. There are no "hardware generations" for PC. When Sony wanted to make a more powerful PS4 they couldn't just update the regular PS4, they had to release a whole new seperate devision called the PS4 Pro. Where as with PC you can do it at anytime you want and new PC hardware is always coming out that you can always just keep adding new stuff to, where as with consoles you are constrained to what is actually in the box and you can't upgrade it. 

That is why consoles can't compete with PC because PC is always years ahead in terms of hardware because they can just release whenever they want, they don't have to wait for a new  generation or such.And while the price can cost a lot more for a PC, it depends on what hardware you want in it, sure if you want the BEST and most recent hardware in your gaming PC it will cost a lot, but I remember reading articles when the PS4 and Xbox One came out about how you could build a gaming PC for the same price and it would be more powerful than the consoles.

It's also why consoles are always less powerful than even years old PC's because they have to keep the price affordable to sell, so they have to get the cheaper components that maybe released a few years back and not the most recent graphics card and stuff like that, unless they want to sell the console at a loss.

Sony is coming from a sales and active userbase perspective and so was I. Far more consoles out there than "gaming PCs" and games obviously sell better on consoles. From a strict individual standpoint, you can't offer a console that can compete the best of the best ever changing tech, but improvements like what they're trying to do will hold you over until the next generation in ~2/3 years.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Captain_Yuri said:
Slimebeast said:

But midranged in the PC world takes you very far these days because Moore's law is broken and hardware techonology is advancing so slow now.

The only GPU that is twice as fast as a PS4 Pro is the GTX 1080p and the new Titan. For $600. And only 1% av all PC guys own one of those. And even these guys struggle to run Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 in 4K and 60fps.

A GTX 1070 is 60% faster than the PS Pro and that GPU still costs 500 Euro! And these guys can't run most games in 4K/60fps.

So only a tiny minority of PC gamers (perhaps 4-5% in the upcoming year) actually have that choice of getting both visuals and performance you speak of.

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPU's that are 2 years old...

I know all that and nothing of that goes against anything I said.

Fact is still that GPU tech is advancing slowly and a midrange GPU is relatively fast these days.

Fact is that the PS4 Pro will have the same performance or better than 90-95% of PC gamers out there.

Mr House's argument is that he wants to deflect those guys who think they will get better performance out of a PC, but 90-95% won't. And the other 5-10% will get double performance at most (if they're willing to spend 500 Euro and up for the GPU alone).

So the Ps4 Pro is very much a choice when it comes to raw performance.

BasilZero said:

It'll only be able to compete for a year or so lol - after that - they'll need to upgrade again if they want to continue competing since PC hardware always gets upgrades every year in one form or another.

Reminds me of the mess that Nintendo did with the 3DS - making the New 3DS.

Minor improvements that arent worth getting for if you already have a platform that plays the same games.

PS4 Pro is a bigger upgrade than New 3DS where the CPU was slightly upgraded while PS4 Pro's GPU has been hugely upgraded and the CPU is also higher clocked.

FloatingWaffles said:
It was made to compete with PC but yet it won't have mod support.

Also no console will ever be able to compete with PC anyway.

They aren't competing with the best PC's but with mid range PC's. PS4 Pro still has better specs than most PC's used by PC gamers.

Around the Network

So people who would usually switch to a high end pc will switch to a console? The PS4 Pro is more powerful but if you really want the best graphics, PC will always come out on top.

Doesn't matter tough, its good for PC gaming and if the console sells well its good for current and future PS4 owners since there will be more games, lets just think about it like that. And if it would sell poorly, they will just not do it next generation, but so far it looks some people are happy about it.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Captain_Yuri said:

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]"

By using a mid ranged 2016 GPU with a weak sauce CPU? Where the gamers have to choose between visuals or performance? While not allowing Mod Support?

Good Luck lawl

TBH, Tomb Raider in 4K checkerboard, high settings is way more than my 970 can do and it costed 300 dollars alone.

Slimebeast said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPU's that are 2 years old...

I know all that and nothing of that goes against anything I said.

Fact is still that GPU tech is advancing slowly and a midrange GPU is relatively fast these days.

Fact is that the PS4 Pro will have the same performance or better than 90-95% of PC gamers out there.

Mr House's argument is that he wants to deflect those guys who think they will get better performance out of a PC, but 90-95% won't. And the other 5-10% will get double performance at most (if they're willing to spend 500 Euro and up for the GPU alone).

So the Ps4 Pro is very much a choice when it comes to raw performance.

I really wonder why this has to be explained.

Captain_Yuri said:
Slimebeast said:

But midranged in the PC world takes you very far these days because Moore's law is broken and hardware techonology is advancing so slow now.

The only GPU that is twice as fast as a PS4 Pro is the GTX 1080p and the new Titan. For $600. And only 1% av all PC guys own one of those. And even these guys struggle to run Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 in 4K and 60fps.

A GTX 1070 is 60% faster than the PS Pro and that GPU still costs 500 Euro! And these guys can't run most games in 4K/60fps.

So only a tiny minority of PC gamers (perhaps 4-5% in the upcoming year) actually have that choice of getting both visuals and performance you speak of.

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPUs that are 2 years old...

PS4 Pro doesn't run games at 1080p and upscale them to 4K, it runs them at a higher resolution somewhere close to 4K and upscales that to 4K. Read that in the DF article.

It also plays games at higher settings than PS4. That is why it doesn't run games at 60fps.

Well... Good luck, but I'll still stick to my PC.