By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

That makes no sense - the regular PS4 is already more powerful than most PCs. The percentage of people who migrate from console to PC is almost non-existent.

Around the Network

Makes perfect sense to me. I don't see why people are taking issue with it.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I know this question has probably been answered a million times, but can the PS4 Pro sacrifice the 4k upscale for a higher framerate? Is that going to be an option in any game?

So many action games are stuck at 30fps this gen and just feel sluggish by comparison with PC. A higher res won't fix that.

torok said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPUs that are 2 years old...

While I understand this, numbers aren't showing this kind of difference in performance. I have a OC 970 (it gives around stock 980 performance), which, as you say, is supposed to destroy the underclocked 480 on the Pro. But my GPU does ROTR on max settings in 1080p floating between 35 to 50 fps. To reach 1440p, I would probably have to run it on medium-high. No way I'm touching 4K even if I could use checkerboard rendering and my PC is way more expensive than a Pro. So yes, it is beating 2 year GPUs pretty handily.

Also, mind that "2 year GPU talk" is more exagerated than it looks, because the newer models are not that more powerful. A 1080 can't even double a stock 970 and is more akin to beating my model by 70% at best. And that's a unfair comparison since mine isn't the equivalent model in the previous line. So if the Pro is beating my GPU, it isn't actually that far from even the 1080 in-game performance. You probably could do ROTR around 35 to 45 fps maxed on the 1080, so it isn't that much of a difference. When you consider that you expent 400 bucks on one side and probably 1200 in the other, it seems like a no-brainer.

They actually did some nice upgrades on it. It's very competitive with PCs when talking about 4K, specially because 4K and 60fps demands in most cases 2 GPUs. I would need a 1000 bucks PC do do a similar showing. I don't even know if the 1070 would do much better, maybe just the 1080. Anyway, both GPUs are more expensive than the entire console alone.

Well... According to benchmarks, 970 at 1080p usually has 50 fps on average at max settings. According to devs of Tomb Raider, PS4Pro will have a setting that will allow it to run at 45+ fps at 1080p. But here's the thing, it is not going to be running at max settings. So with PS4Pro, at 1080p you get either max settings at 1080p 30 or non-max settings at 1080p 45+. Running the Ps4Pro at "insert res here" (it was 3200 or something) followed by upscaling will make it run at 30fps with lower settings than running it at 1080p which I would assume will make it hover around medium-high PC settings. So a 2 year old GPU is taking shots at PS4 Pro's capabilities. Also considering that RoTR hits 45+ fps when lowering down the visuals @1080p, it sounds like a GPU bottleneck to me where as the 970 can play at max settings around 50 fps @ 1080p.

And a 1080 is better than 2 970s in most cases, specially if you overclock it... Heck, take 1 970, benchmark it and double the scores and it should give you better fps than 2 970s in actual SLI. And 1080s, specially overclocked will beat it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1714?vs=1743

And of course, 2016 GPUs are cheap. 1060 which = better than 980 is $250. Again, I am not saying PS4 isn't a fantastic console cause it 110% is. But if someone was seriously considering buying a PC for Performance and Visuals, I doubt PS4 Pro will change that... If they are looking for the best value, PS4Pro will of course beat an equivalent PC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

BraLoD said:
Azuren said:
The Sony haters have really come out of the woodwork the past few days.

And TGS is right in the corner... if we get something big there it will only get worse.

I've been very critical of Sony this past week and one of those guy's saying arrogant Sony is back. But knowing my taste in games i will probably enjoy their TGS conference.

Around the Network

I can definetly agree with this, as I was one of thouse people myself. When the rx 480 and gt 1070 where anounce, I really thought danm, pc gaming is getting afordable I can really upgrade and not spend a lot. Now that the pro is out, I have no desire to get a pc anymore, Ill spend less and get much better performance than what my ps4 is ofering and the best part is that sony exclusives, wich are already kicking ass and looking better than what games on a $1000+ pc can achive, will get even better. I can already picture horizon in 4k, even though is upscaled 1440 or 1600, it will still look amazing.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Locknuts said:
I know this question has probably been answered a million times, but can the PS4 Pro sacrifice the 4k upscale for a higher framerate? Is that going to be an option in any game?

So many action games are stuck at 30fps this gen and just feel sluggish by comparison with PC. A higher res won't fix that.

I know thats a comon complaint, but only among high end pc gamers wich are very few iin comparison.  So I dont think 60fps will be a driving factor, at least not as much as pixel count will be.

At the end of the day then console is able to do it, but devs will prefer quality of image over framerate and will just not include the option, cuz more people care abut image res than frames.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Captain_Yuri said:
Slimebeast said:

I know all that and nothing of that goes against anything I said.

Fact is still that GPU tech is advancing slowly and a midrange GPU is relatively fast these days.

Fact is that the PS4 Pro will have the same performance or better than 90-95% of PC gamers out there.

Mr House's argument is that he wants to deflect those guys who think they will get better performance out of a PC, but 90-95% won't. And the other 5-10% will get double performance at most (if they're willing to spend 500 Euro and up for the GPU alone).

So the Ps4 Pro is very much a choice when it comes to raw performance.

But why would they stop thinking PC won't get better performance? If those guys are thinking to upgrade their PC or buy a new gaming PC, its not hard to check out why PCs will have superior performance.

Just look at the PC gamers on our site. Almost nobody owns a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080! Because they are damn expensive and don't offer enough performance for all that money.

You can dream about one and even boast about PC being superior on forums, but if you don't actually own a 1070 or 1080, your PC will not be much faster than a PS4 Pro. Most people who own a PS4 won't upgrade to a $1200 PC, but instead buy a cheaper PC.

BraLoD said:
Locknuts said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider will have multiple options.
If devs want it, they can make it.

Just looked it up. Apparently they can only guarantee over 45 fps in the high framerate mode.

Surely they could drop a few settings to please those who prefer a locked 60fps? I mean that's what the mode is there for in the first place.

PS4 Pro seems pretty weak to me now. Must be that Jaguar CPU.

Just because it's meant to compete with PC doesn't mean it's meant to compete with the 1080. This is more aimed at the folks who might consider getting a 1060 or a 480 (or 470 or 460). That is a bigger part of the market than those who buy 1080s and 1070s.