By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

Chazore said:

I'm also liking the brought up topic of Steam survey apparently being the entire PC gaming hardware spec database despite the fact that not everyone has opted into the survey and even outside of Steam, I'm not even a part of it because I never chose the option and I know I'm not the only one either (but lets say I am because that's easy go with in order to defeat the argument).

That you're part of it or not doesn't change the result of that survey from a percentage perspective. The sample is more than big enough to be representative and I'm sure even you know that.

So yeah, your argument was defeated before you even typed all this.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPU's that are 2 years old...

I know all that and nothing of that goes against anything I said.

Fact is still that GPU tech is advancing slowly and a midrange GPU is relatively fast these days.

Fact is that the PS4 Pro will have the same performance or better than 90-95% of PC gamers out there.

Mr House's argument is that he wants to deflect those guys who think they will get better performance out of a PC, but 90-95% won't. And the other 5-10% will get double performance at most (if they're willing to spend 500 Euro and up for the GPU alone).

So the Ps4 Pro is very much a choice when it comes to raw performance.

But why would they stop thinking PC won't get better performance? If those guys are thinking to upgrade their PC or buy a new gaming PC, its not hard to check out why PCs will have superior performance.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

torok said:
Captain_Yuri said:

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]"

By using a mid ranged 2016 GPU with a weak sauce CPU? Where the gamers have to choose between visuals or performance? While not allowing Mod Support?

Good Luck lawl

TBH, Tomb Raider in 4K checkerboard, high settings is way more than my 970 can do and it costed 300 dollars alone.

Its not like PCs can't upscale too... Someone just needs to test it and see the comparisons before we all jump to conclusions

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Bandorr said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Lol. A console can never compete with a PC. I'm still surprised we even have consoles, to be honest. I guess it's just ease of use and their price? I'm not sure.

Consoles have been around for almost 50 years.. and you are sitll wondering why they are around? That seems.. awkward.

Awkward is definitely not the right word there. Lol. And I just don't understand why so many people still buy consoles. It's clearly because they are easier to buy, easier to use, and cheaper than PCs. I don't get what the 50 years stat has to do with anything.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

The PC reasoning was entirely in a pre-E3 initial article that officially confirmed the Neo's existence (and why it wouldn't be present at E3). It's not for PC gamers - it's to dissuade console gamers from migrating to PC.

Of course, it's more fun to make snarky comments concerning the idea that a console weaker than the best current gaming PCs is supposed to directly compete with them for the attention of existing PC gamers.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:

The PC reasoning was entirely in a pre-E3 initial article that officially confirmed the Neo's existence (and why it wouldn't be present at E3). It's not for PC gamers - it's to dissuade console gamers from migrating to PC.

Of course, it's more fun to make snarky comments concerning the idea that a console weaker than the best current gaming PCs is supposed to directly compete with them for the attention of existing PC gamers.

I do believe this has always been the fight between Sony and Microsoft to begin with. However, if they are serious with this, perhaps they could have relaunched Playstation Store that provides digital distribution like Steam or Origin that is also accessible on PC.

GOWTLOZ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPUs that are 2 years old...

PS4 Pro doesn't run games at 1080p and upscale them to 4K, it runs them at a higher resolution somewhere close to 4K and upscales that to 4K. Read that in the DF article.

It also plays games at higher settings than PS4. That is why it doesn't run games at 60fps.

Never said they upscale from 1080p... But Upscaling is still happening. And while it probably does run it a bit higher settings than ps4... Its not PC max at that resolution...

PC:

PS Pro:

Now I am not saying that a 970 can run that at 4k Native cause it can't but at the settings of the Ps4 Pro and upscaled to 4k? We will find out soon enough but I would say more plausible. And of course, PC has the added benefit of running games in 60fps at 1080p.

My point isn't to say that ps4 pro isn't a great console cause it is. I will be getting it as soon as it comes out. But it won't stop people who are looking at PC for better performance and visuals because PC does have exactly that (at higher cost obviously).

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]"

By using a mid ranged 2016 GPU with a weak sauce CPU? Where the gamers have to choose between visuals or performance? While not allowing Mod Support?

Good Luck lawl

I think between the lines he is saying, the best console performance for $400. It's probably a high priority for them to not go much beyond that number, as every console that has, has been recieved poorly. Sony learned that lessor first hand with PS3.

I like this approach of a mid cycle refresh, and that's it. Some people don't buy their consoles for the first, or even second or third year, so that creates a new interesting option for those people. Buy the new beefed up system for a standard console price, or buy the older system for a lower price.

I bought my PS4 this February, but if I had known about this, I would have waited for the Pro.

If thats what he means, I 110% agree but he should have been more clear imo.

BraLoD said:

PS Store is accessible on PC.

Ah, my mistake. Playstation Now exists. Color me wrong.

The Sony haters have really come out of the woodwork the past few days.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames