By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

People in here need to actually read the OP and not just the title. It's ridiculous lol.

The statement makes perfect sense, but people just see "compete with pc" and nothing else and piss themselves.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

You do know that a) The Ps4 Pro is an underclocked 480 and b) The 480 struggles to beat the gtx 970 (except for a couple of games) which is a 2 year old GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1748?vs=1743

And you do realize that the Ps4 pro a) upscales to 4k, not native b) Uses ps4's settings which is around medium-high depending on the game? c) Can't run at 60 fps even at 1080p for games that ran at 30fps previously?

So I am not sure why would any PC gamer choose a ps4 Pro for the "best visual" or "best performance" experience since it has neither and can't even beat GPUs that are 2 years old...

While I understand this, numbers aren't showing this kind of difference in performance. I have a OC 970 (it gives around stock 980 performance), which, as you say, is supposed to destroy the underclocked 480 on the Pro. But my GPU does ROTR on max settings in 1080p floating between 35 to 50 fps. To reach 1440p, I would probably have to run it on medium-high. No way I'm touching 4K even if I could use checkerboard rendering and my PC is way more expensive than a Pro. So yes, it is beating 2 year GPUs pretty handily.

Also, mind that "2 year GPU talk" is more exagerated than it looks, because the newer models are not that more powerful. A 1080 can't even double a stock 970 and is more akin to beating my model by 70% at best. And that's a unfair comparison since mine isn't the equivalent model in the previous line. So if the Pro is beating my GPU, it isn't actually that far from even the 1080 in-game performance. You probably could do ROTR around 35 to 45 fps maxed on the 1080, so it isn't that much of a difference. When you consider that you expent 400 bucks on one side and probably 1200 in the other, it seems like a no-brainer.

They actually did some nice upgrades on it. It's very competitive with PCs when talking about 4K, specially because 4K and 60fps demands in most cases 2 GPUs. I would need a 1000 bucks PC do do a similar showing. I don't even know if the 1070 would do much better, maybe just the 1080. Anyway, both GPUs are more expensive than the entire console alone.

Makes sense, and not just a little.

I keep seeing this "PC you get one pro, but it's worth zip so it doesn't even matter" type argument, in fact I see it every time we see a console gain some new hardware. Eventually we reach a point where ye old "why bother gaming on a PC" type thread starts becoming a thing again and it's always from the same people who stick with that slightly new hardware and look at the price tag and somehow believe that all of PC gaming shall be obsolete.

I'm also liking the brought up topic of Steam survey apparently being the entire PC gaming hardware spec database despite the fact that not everyone has opted into the survey and even outside of Steam, I'm not even a part of it because I never chose the option and I know I'm not the only one either (but lets say I am because that's easy go with in order to defeat the argument).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Lol. A console can never compete with a PC. I'm still surprised we even have consoles, to be honest. I guess it's just ease of use and their price? I'm not sure.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

Says PS4 is meant to compete with PC. Doesn't allow mods in Fallout 4. Doesn't have a 60fps option for any first party titles. Is a joke.

torok said:

While I understand this, numbers aren't showing this kind of difference in performance. I have a OC 970 (it gives around stock 980 performance), which, as you say, is supposed to destroy the underclocked 480 on the Pro. But my GPU does ROTR on max settings in 1080p floating between 35 to 50 fps. To reach 1440p, I would probably have to run it on medium-high. No way I'm touching 4K even if I could use checkerboard rendering and my PC is way more expensive than a Pro. So yes, it is beating 2 year GPUs pretty handily.

Also, mind that "2 year GPU talk" is more exagerated than it looks, because the newer models are not that more powerful. A 1080 can't even double a stock 970 and is more akin to beating my model by 70% at best. And that's a unfair comparison since mine isn't the equivalent model in the previous line. So if the Pro is beating my GPU, it isn't actually that far from even the 1080 in-game performance. You probably could do ROTR around 35 to 45 fps maxed on the 1080, so it isn't that much of a difference. When you consider that you expent 400 bucks on one side and probably 1200 in the other, it seems like a no-brainer.

They actually did some nice upgrades on it. It's very competitive with PCs when talking about 4K, specially because 4K and 60fps demands in most cases 2 GPUs. I would need a 1000 bucks PC do do a similar showing. I don't even know if the 1070 would do much better, maybe just the 1080. Anyway, both GPUs are more expensive than the entire console alone.

I think you are a little bit confused here, the Pro doesn't beat a 970 here's why.

The Pro doesn't play games at 4K, it renders them at 1440p or 1600p at most and at medium-high settings 30fps.The console upscales games to 4K but it doesn't actually play them at 4K, just like the XB1S doesn't play at 4k when it upscales 900p games for that resolution.

I think(if my calculations are not mistaken) the 970 should be able to handle 1440p gameplay at medium-high settings at 60fps or at least close to it.I say this because I did some tests yesterday(please check link) before the Pro was announced and was really surprised by how taxing Ultra settings actually are.I didn't specify this in the linked comment but my average performance with only one GPU on GTAV maxed out is around 42fps while with medium-high settings it was 65fps and in TW3 maxed out my average performance is less than 30fps with hairworks on, but with medium-high settings and hairworks it was close to 40fps average.

This is not to say though that the Pro is a bad machine, it actually(just like when the PS4 just released)is the best bang for the buck when it comes to gaming, and I am really exited for it.

That's funny. They just proved they don't understand why people play on PC in the first place if they think a minor improvement is enough to convince PC players.

I'm sure that's what MS is doing too.

These consoles are basically economic PC's. (poor choice words, I know)

gooch_destroyer said:
I'm sure that's what MS is doing too.

These consoles are basically economic PC's. (poor choice words, I know)

MS released an Xbox app on W10 and got Play Anywhere program to annex both worlds together.

It would be counter intuitive to their aspirations to do all of that and compete with PC.