By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda breath of the wild new "Biggoron Sword" footage

AZWification said:

I will enjoy using the fire rod! Burning those suckers will feel pretty good.

Same here! 

I love magic! Hence why I always choose mages in rpgs. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Slimebeast said:
As a medieval guy I don't care much about katanas, but I wonder, how does the Nintendo community here on VGC feel about Zelda going so heavily on open world?

Zelda was at least partly open world (hub based) in the past too, but to me it feels like Zelda has now embraced the Western open world sandbox mentality, almost like a Ubisoft game.

Personally I am very hyped about the NX, but strangely I don't feel as strongly about the new Zelda as I thought I would. What is wrong here exactly?

For me, what makes it so much more appealing than a typical sandbox game is the amount of interactivity and nuance that's gone into the world.

Grass can be set on fire, which creates updrafts you can ride with your sail cloth and is influenced by the wind. Trees can be felled for firewood, and if cut down into a river will float downstream on the current. Temperature varies not just by area, clothing, and time of day, but with altitude and proximity to fire; the peak of a mountain is colder than halfway up, and you can start a fire and stand/rest by it to keep warm, except if it rains, the fire will be put out. The skeleton enemies will pick up their comrade's severed arms to use as weapons. Bokoblins can leave their weapons lying unattended while lounging around camp, and you can sneak up and steal them before engaging.

I could go on and on, but I honestly can't think of many other games that have this level of thought put into the game world and how you can interact with it.

But grass on fire, different weather zones, dynamic enemies etc, aren't those features much like those who developerss like Ubisoft and others pride themselves with? Tons of gimmicky features that are kind of cool but really don't add to the depth of the game.

I'm not trying to downplay. I love features like that and I do think they add depth (so why did I just claim they don't add depth? I don't know lol).

Thanks for giving some examples. I avoid videos and articles because I want to explore the game myself and basically not know anything beforehand, but it's extremely exciting to hear that Zelda has been given this kind of detail and life to its world.

But, and it's a huge but. I'm afraid that like with many other big games these features won't have any real meaning. What I mean is that with just one difficulty level (damn you Assassin's Creed), the game will naturally be designed for the lowest common denominator (a mass market casual gamer) which means a core gamer can just rush through the game without having to utilize these beneficial features.

Like with Assassin's Creed. Especially during the Revelations era, the AC games had tons of cool features (countless upgrades and special equipment, environmental assistance, a strategy layer, mini-games and so on), but since the game was so damn easy, a player could rush through it by only using the basic attacks and moves, and ignore all the cool stuff. Which was really sad and made me angry and frustrated.

I want to have access to a hard difficulty level where it's practically impossible to beat the game if you don't pay attention to and utilize the features.

Slimebeast said:
curl-6 said:

For me, what makes it so much more appealing than a typical sandbox game is the amount of interactivity and nuance that's gone into the world.

Grass can be set on fire, which creates updrafts you can ride with your sail cloth and is influenced by the wind. Trees can be felled for firewood, and if cut down into a river will float downstream on the current. Temperature varies not just by area, clothing, and time of day, but with altitude and proximity to fire; the peak of a mountain is colder than halfway up, and you can start a fire and stand/rest by it to keep warm, except if it rains, the fire will be put out. The skeleton enemies will pick up their comrade's severed arms to use as weapons. Bokoblins can leave their weapons lying unattended while lounging around camp, and you can sneak up and steal them before engaging.

I could go on and on, but I honestly can't think of many other games that have this level of thought put into the game world and how you can interact with it.

But grass on fire, different weather zones, dynamic enemies etc, aren't those features much like those who developerss like Ubisoft and others pride themselves with? Tons of gimmicky features that are kind of cool but really don't add to the depth of the game.

I'm not trying to downplay. I love features like that and I do think they add depth (so why did I just claim they don't add depth? I don't know lol).

Thanks for giving some examples. I avoid videos and articles because I want to explore the game myself and basically not know anything beforehand, but it's extremely exciting to hear that Zelda has been given this kind of detail and life to its world.

But, and it's a huge but. I'm afraid that like with many other big games these features won't have any real meaning. What I mean is that with just one difficulty level (damn you Assassin's Creed), the game will naturally be designed for the lowest common denominator (a mass market casual gamer) which means a core gamer can just rush through the game without having to utilize these beneficial features.

Like with Assassin's Creed. Especially during the Revelations era, the AC games had tons of cool features (countless upgrades and special equipment, environmental assistance, a strategy layer, mini-games and so on), but since the game was so damn easy, a player could rush through it by only using the basic attacks and moves, and ignore all the cool stuff. Which was really sad and made me angry and frustrated.

I want to have access to a hard difficulty level where it's practically impossible to beat the game if you don't pay attention to and utilize the features.

Since you're avoiding videos and spoilers, I won't post the many gifs that show how these features can be used in cool ways that vary and deepen gameplay, but my impressions of the game so far is that it really does feel like one of those titles where you can have fun just messing around for hours, not necessarily trying to move the story forward at all. The diversionary stuff looks so fun in its own right that you'll want to go out of your way to do it even if it's not strictly essential.

RolStoppable said:
Slimebeast said:
As a medieval guy I don't care much about katanas, but I wonder, how does the Nintendo community here on VGC feel about Zelda going so heavily on open world?

Zelda was at least partly open world (hub based) in the past too, but to me it feels like Zelda has now embraced the Western open world sandbox mentality, almost like a Ubisoft game.

Personally I am very hyped about the NX, but strangely I don't feel as strongly about the new Zelda as I thought I would. What is wrong here exactly?

People who have played Zelda since the very first game are going to tell you that an open world is a return to Zelda's roots.

What is wrong with you is that you need to be told what you are supposed to like, and you think that this Zelda does not represent what Zelda should be. So in order to correct this, I am going to tell you that this Zelda is looking great and you should feel the same way.

But I didn't mean that Zelda going away from its roots necessarily makes the game less attractive. I only meant that I'm not "feeling it". When they showed the demo at E3 or whatever I didn't feel hyped, and that surprised me. Perhaps I felt like they were demoing a Ubisoft game (cool features you will end up skipping).

Now that you have established that the new Zelda actually is going back to its roots doesn't change things.

RolStoppable said:
Slimebeast said:

(...)

Since the game is supposedly so openly designed that you can challenge the final boss right away (which should be seriously difficult because of the crappy equipment you are going to have at the start of the game), the same freedom should hold true for all other points of interest. Meaning that a lesser skilled player will avoid dangerous places and instead try to find easier tasks while a more skilled player can use the environment to his advantage in order to defeat enemies that would otherwise take a long time to beat with conventional attacks. Playing in such a way would of course not make the easy tasks go away, but you would be able to skip past them if you want more of a challenge.

I hope it plays out like this! What you describe could never happen in an Assassin's Creed game, because in Assassin's Creed nothing is challenging no matter how early you take it on.

I seriously doubt you can challenge the final boss right away in Zelda though lol. Probably a misinterpretation in translation.

This game looks super fun.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
I liked that sword in OOT, but I don't like how slow it is for the attacks in this video, which gets worse due to the stop frames when it hits the enemies.

As for what kind of weapons I'd like to see, I want to see something that manipulates water.

the sword is slow cause this game is more realistic physics wise, so link is too small for a heavy sword. And something that manipulates water like a water rod would be really awesome.

I love when he throws balls of fire. The combat in this game is going to be soooooo amazing. And I loved that background music. Praise to my Nintendo overlords.

Slimebeast said:
curl-6 said:

Well, i've played the demo on gamescom and it looks like Zelda will be way different from a typical Ubi world game. Most importantly, having played tons of open world games, Breath of the Wild actually feels fresh and great, way better than i had expected. Nad quite different from other Zeldas.

Slimebeast said:

Great, because everything is so far looks very fun and interesting, with great interaction with world itself. If you look at videos and all thing you can do, Zelda BotW really doesn't look like Ubi game.

I really don't know what to say to you, because everything we saw so far looks great, interesting and fun, only thing we didn't seem so far and that are huge part of every Zelda games are real big dungeons, we saw only miny dungeons, also we didnt see any settlements, towns and NPC. This game don't become one of most hyped Nintendo games ever without reason. :)

Qwark said:
I wonder how many gamers are going to use any other weapon after they find the mastersword.

Plenty, because some weapons look very interesting and fun to use them, and there many difrent types of weapons.

onionberry said:
AZWification said:

I will enjoy using the fire rod! Burning those suckers will feel pretty good.

That's what I'll be doing in BotW, I will burn everything JUST right. Also, I thought that was Groose when I scrolled past the image very fast.. :P

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---