By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is This Misleading Marketing? (Sony and NMS)

shikamaru317 said:

From what I've heard, dataminers have found evidence that the VGX and E3 demos for No Man's Sky were staged. They hand picked the best possible planets and creatures that the randomization system could make and tossed them all together to show the game at it's best. It's definitely misleading considering the fact that the randomization system can also make horrific monstrosities like the one in this vid: 

The vid that's been removed due to a request from the copyright holder... Which ought to be Hello Games. Which, of course, ought to be a much bigger problem than showing a marketing video that shows the best sides of the game (unless of course the content they showed in trailers isn't even in the final product). Someone show me a trailer that displays something other than what are considered good-looking portions of a game. But you can't go around removing negative videos about the game.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
I wouldn't say this is misleading marketing, just a game being shown in early development. What is misleading is that Sony used this better looking footage of the game to promote it recently. That's misleading.

Are you referring to the ads currently playing on YouTube?

wow, you really made me think

KLAMarine said:
Dr.Vita said:
Nope it's definitely not. Now stop these topics please.

Allow me to ask you the same question I posed to another user: does it not disturb you the chasm between the final product and the e3 presentations? Of course people are at fault for being so gullible but at the same time gtlitzed-up e3 presentations should share some of the blame. Shouldn't they? Not all of the blame but at least some.

People who expect the end product to look exactly like the footage shown at presentations in big events like the E3 should blame themselves when they are disappointed. This is just how the industry works. Every developer tries to show the best side of their product to the consumers in presentations. And in the end product a lot of them won't represent the same quality (like in the case of No Man's Sky). This is not only about the gaming industry, basically every industry works like this. If people want to avoid this, they shouldn't buy games day one. 

celador said:

That makes me happy. :)

Whatcha thinking, if I may ask?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
SWORDF1SH said:
I wouldn't say this is misleading marketing, just a game being shown in early development. What is misleading is that Sony used this better looking footage of the game to promote it recently. That's misleading.

Are you referring to the ads currently playing on YouTube?

I think so, the four pillars ads.

You can't blame Sony for it being misleading. That's like blaming MS if Ubisoft downgrades a game that was showcased at MS's E3. But it is misleading.

Dr.Vita said:
KLAMarine said:

Allow me to ask you the same question I posed to another user: does it not disturb you the chasm between the final product and the e3 presentations? Of course people are at fault for being so gullible but at the same time gtlitzed-up e3 presentations should share some of the blame. Shouldn't they? Not all of the blame but at least some.

People who expect the end product to look exactly like the footage shown at presentations in big events like the E3 should blame themselves when they are disappointed.

No blame to be handed out to overblown trailers?

Dr.Vita said:

This is just how the industry works. Every developer tries to show the best side of their product to the consumers in presentations. And in the end product a lot of them won't represent the same quality (like in the case of No Man's Sky). This is not only about the gaming industry, basically every industry works like this. If people want to avoid this, they shouldn't buy games day one. 

And I'm not happy about that. We should work towards changing it for the better. I favor a two-front attack: urge consumers to be more skeptical and urge producers to be more honest.

KLAMarine said:
celador said:

That makes me happy. :)

Whatcha thinking, if I may ask?

i'm thinking Sony and these devs need to be taught a lesson

Teeqoz said:

You can't blame Sony for it being misleading. That's like blaming MS if Ubisoft downgrades a game that was showcased at MS's E3. But it is misleading.

Sony did play its part, giving Hello Games a big platform. I don't know the extent to which Sony was aware of the problems the game had (the game crashes on PS4 for crying out loud! I'm pretty sure Sony wouldn't want a high-profile game crashing their console) but I would urge Sony to exercise more discretion in the future.

I worry they won't exercise greater discretion however: I'm pretty sure this game's release has sold some PS4s for them, at the very least.