By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Game, Another Internet Hate Bandwagon

Tagged games:

This gen has seen many above average games get dragged through the hot coals for a var8ety of reasons that all seem to converge at 'spite for the developer.' If there is a compelling story about how the dev team deserves to fail - generally by over-promising, no matter by how little, or simply not delivering what The Internet expected - the individuals who had no intention of buying the game in the first place will spread the word on social media as if they were personally wronged. It's a somewhat more destructive aspect of the social media outrage culture, as it will impact sales. (Generally people are outraged by things they have no control over, leading to a week of memes and clickbait articles before petering out.)

Basically, everyone wants to have an opinion, and if there's a way to get a negative one without putting in the time or money usually necessary to form one - especially if there's a 'moral' excuse for not putting in the time/money - people will jump on it. I've been very conscious of this recently - for example, I didn't see the Ghostbusters movie, but have read & watched enough reviews to have an idea of what it is like. It'd be all too easy for me to then adopt the opinions of those reviews and enter discussions as if I had formed those opinions firsthand.

Around the Network

I don't see the problem. People don't like a game for whatever reason; they talk.

onionberry said:
The game has more than 15,000 negative reviews on steam, it's not like metacritic, you need to buy the game to post a review. Just a food for thought.

Indeed. I think people have gotten swept along in the hype for what was always going be a less mainstream game. It's particular audience adore it, but there will be plenty of regular gamers who just don't get it at all.

I didn't buy it launch because I generally find that type of open world games a bit boring.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Lrdfancypants said:
alternine said:

Nah its pretty par for the course. Every generation has its bad and broken games. Its just that its WAY more vocal now with social media and all.

Yeah, social media probably makes it stand out more like everything else that seems vocal than days of yore.

Sometimes I miss game magazines.  

Me too, man. The Internet is the Wild West.

naruball said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I was saying how to avoid getting hate...

If all you want is the money then yeah, hype it up as much as you can, just don't be surprised when it gets a lot of hate.

Hence the bolded.

They are a business. Of course they'll prioritise success over silly things such as "internet hate". It'd be incredibly silly to avoid hyping your game, thus resulting to significantly less sales, just to avoid the mean things people on the internet may say regardless of hype.

If you hype up your game and don't deliver, it's called short term success.

For long term success you either reduce the amount of hype a bit or you better deliver.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:
onionberry said:
The game has more than 15,000 negative reviews on steam, it's not like metacritic, you need to buy the game to post a review. Just a food for thought.

Indeed. I think people have gotten swept along in the hype for what was always going be a less mainstream game. It's particular audience adore it, but there will be plenty of regular gamers who just don't get it at all.

I didn't buy it launch because I generally find that type of open world games a bit boring.

This is the most sensible post on here. 

i know im ot here but 

alundra 2 got undeserved hate back in ps1 days 

alundra 2 > alundra 1    fact

Barozi said:
naruball said:

Hence the bolded.

They are a business. Of course they'll prioritise success over silly things such as "internet hate". It'd be incredibly silly to avoid hyping your game, thus resulting to significantly less sales, just to avoid the mean things people on the internet may say regardless of hype.

If you hype up your game and don't deliver, it's called short term success.

For long term success you either reduce the amount of hype a bit or you better deliver.

Fancy words but ultimately meaningless.

If they game had had less hype there is no way knowing how much it would have sold in the end. Plenty of great indies never sell anywhere near as much as No Man's Sky did in a day, lifetime.

There is the possibility that no matter the hype people would have been disappointed anyway.

Also, keep in mind that plenty of people are playing it and loving it believing that it actually delivered what it promised.

This controversy has people talking about it and some giving it a chance even through piracy to see what it's all about. Without hype, the game would have most likely received less exposure.

How many indies do you know that can sell at full price? Had it not been for the hype, a few people would have given it a chance.

Hate to a certain extend shows passion towards a project. With No Man's Sky i am just entering indifference. It was one of my most anticipated games the past few years. The trailers they released left me in awe. As the game was nearing release, the anticipation became more of a tempered excitement. Now that the game is out, am just really disappointed. Am not going to argue with people about its quality and what we got was what we were promised. I feel like it under delivered. As i feel indifferent about the game, this will be my only and last post on it. Am glad for those of you who are enjoying it. 

As for other games. It is similar story where people were passionate about the product and they felt it just didn't deliver. Hyperboly is ofcourse how you get noticed on internet and that is why you find it in spades. 

The Fury said:

I think No Man's Sky is a great game, I like the idea of relaxing spending my time traveling, looking for resources, seeing what I find. Yet, I do feel something was missing from it. I mean it doesn't look like the first shots we saw and this is disappointing, I've yet to see a giant dinosaur like animal, largest I've seen is a giant deer.

You know what No Man's Sky should have been? Sony should have had faith in Hello Games technology, given them an extra 50 employees and they should have made a new Colony Wars in a massive universe with the chance of meeting people. The idea being you still get the resource gathering, technology learning but to build better space combat ships to fight battles not just more exploration.

I saw a giant flying centipede that dwarfed the pig sized land creatures on the planet.  If I had to guess I'd say around 100 meters long.  It was pretty awe inspiring like Alan Grant in Jurassic Park for me.