By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Game, Another Internet Hate Bandwagon

Tagged games:

There is some justified hate for it. The Devs promised things that were not in the game at release. There is legit reason to hate here.

Around the Network
method114 said:
There is some justified hate for it. The Devs promised things that were not in the game at release. There is legit reason to hate here.

Hate is a strong word and emotion over something like that. Dislike? Disappointment? Disapproval? Sure. But hate? That's going overboard.

oniyide said:
MikeRox said:

You know, I was actually shocked when the pricing was revealed at the same time as the PS4 physical release. I had always presumed it was a sub £20 digital only title until that point.

Are Hello Games the publisher, or did Sony/someone else make that decision for them?

i wouldnt be surprised if it was Sony being stupid. Me personally im not paying 60 for NMS no way.

Thanks to tnhe price of games inflating in Canada over the last 2 years ( we were at parity with the U.S. for about a decade ), I paid $80 for it. Given that I can't even play it right now, perhaps I should return it. All this talk of it's price is making me think I should.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

arcaneguyver said:
This gen has seen many above average games get dragged through the hot coals for a var8ety of reasons that all seem to converge at 'spite for the developer.' If there is a compelling story about how the dev team deserves to fail - generally by over-promising, no matter by how little, or simply not delivering what The Internet expected - the individuals who had no intention of buying the game in the first place will spread the word on social media as if they were personally wronged. It's a somewhat more destructive aspect of the social media outrage culture, as it will impact sales. (Generally people are outraged by things they have no control over, leading to a week of memes and clickbait articles before petering out.)

Basically, everyone wants to have an opinion, and if there's a way to get a negative one without putting in the time or money usually necessary to form one - especially if there's a 'moral' excuse for not putting in the time/money - people will jump on it. I've been very conscious of this recently - for example, I didn't see the Ghostbusters movie, but have read & watched enough reviews to have an idea of what it is like. It'd be all too easy for me to then adopt the opinions of those reviews and enter discussions as if I had formed those opinions firsthand.

One of the best post in this thread.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

naruball said:
Arlo said:
I hate the word "bandwagon." I hate the idea that if something gets too much hate, people start saying that others hate it just because it's cool to hate it.

It's not a bandwagon thing. We're allowed to hate games. Sometimes they just deserve it.

How can you determine whether something is a bandwagon exactly? I'm not saying that they only reason to hate it is the "bandwagon", but I'm certain that in many (not necessarily most) cases it is. Especially when  you talk to people and say they hate it even though they haven't played it at all.

But the most important thing is when you do actually play the game to not look for things that justify that hate. When you give it a fair chance and don't like it, fair enough. But when others' opinion have affected you so much that it's all you can think about, then maybe you didn't form that opinion all on your own.

Are you just trying to prove that SOME people hate things when they're not justified?  Because of course that happens.  But simply bringing up the bandwagon idea is suggesting that the games rarely deserve it, and that most haters are just being haters to do it.  That's simply not true.  Even sometimes when people haven't played a game the hate can be justified if they don't approve of what a developer is doing.  It's just another form of voting with your dollar and making your opinion heard.  If a developer does something that people hate, they're going to let them know.  Even if some people are being unfair, things are still always going to generally go the way they should be going.

Around the Network
Arlo said:
naruball said:

How can you determine whether something is a bandwagon exactly? I'm not saying that they only reason to hate it is the "bandwagon", but I'm certain that in many (not necessarily most) cases it is. Especially when  you talk to people and say they hate it even though they haven't played it at all.

But the most important thing is when you do actually play the game to not look for things that justify that hate. When you give it a fair chance and don't like it, fair enough. But when others' opinion have affected you so much that it's all you can think about, then maybe you didn't form that opinion all on your own.

Are you just trying to prove that SOME people hate things when they're not justified?  Because of course that happens.  But simply bringing up the bandwagon idea is suggesting that the games rarely deserve it, and that most haters are just being haters to do it.  That's simply not true.  Even sometimes when people haven't played a game the hate can be justified if they don't approve of what a developer is doing.  It's just another form of voting with your dollar and making your opinion heard.  If a developer does something that people hate, they're going to let them know.  Even if some people are being unfair, things are still always going to generally go the way they should be going.

Never said that, nor did I suggest it. Don't get why you need to make assumptions instead of focusing on what I actually said.

Arlo said:
naruball said:

Woops, I mistook you for the OP and that's entirely my fault.

So much crying over something that doesn't matter. Who cares if people don't like a game you like. Do you need something to be popular or loved to have your opinion validated? If a game is getting hated on and receiving bad reviews it's just an example of people either not liking it, or the console it's on. That's their loss, not yours. If the game is that great and you love it, be an evangelist for its qualities...your friends and people who value your opinion will give it a try.

naruball said:
method114 said:

Hate is a strong word and emotion over something like that. Dislike? Disappointment? Disapproval? Sure. But hate? That's going overboard.

When I say hate I don't mean it literally. 

I think all the games on that list have 100% right to be hated on. Keep in mind just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean you need to be offended by it :P

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)