By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Game, Another Internet Hate Bandwagon

Tagged games:

alternine said:

So No Man's Sky is another game this year that joins the list of being dogged and shat on at every turn. Here are some more examples from this year.

Star Fox Zero

Metroid Prime Federation Force

The Division

Quantum Break

Mirrors Edge Catalyst

What's your opinion of this mob mentality the internet has on games?

The hate is justified, none of these games are particularly good. And when a hyped game turns out to be mediocre, yeah no surprise it gets hated on.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Turkish said:

The hate is justified, none of these games are particularly good. And when a hyped game turns out to be mediocre, yeah no surprise it gets hated on.

Have you played them all?

Only Quantum Break, Division and No Mans Sky. I heard the others have fatal flaws, like the motion controls of Star Fox being terrible, and Mirrors Edfe having a generic open world design unlike the first game.

naruball said:
onionberry said:
The game has more than 15,000 negative reviews on steam, it's not like metacritic, you need to buy the game to post a review. Just a food for thought.

And? Some of them are complaints about technical problems, not with how good or bad the game is overall.

Also, it is possible that they are simply riding the hate bandwagon. People on the internet told them it's bad, they expect it to be bad and they start playing by looking for things to verify that it's a bad game.

It's like watching a tv show and have no problem with an actor until people start hating on him and then all you see is how bad his acting is. Or, a closer example, the internet hating on The Big Bang Theory, but you haven't watched it yourself. When eventually you do, you go "laugh track, I knew it. This tv show blows". Whose opinion really is it if you're easily influenced by others but won't admit it to yourself (speaking in general of course).

Just some more food for thought.

I alway find the idea of preconceived notions interesting. How people are "wired", and how it may affect them going into a movie, game, or a book. I have personally found that it's almost never the notion, but the product in question. Although sometimes I wonder if it's possible for people to actually enjoy dislikling or hating something on a level the exeeds the norm. I think we have all had our "so bad it's good" moments. For me, those moments never happen with games. Only TV and movies. A broke ass game is a broke ass game. Regarding MNS, I have the much more stable PS4 version, and have yet to play it. It sounds like it deserves the negative reveiws and fan backlash for launching as it is on PC, and to a lesser extent for a few features promised ( repeatedly )that never materialized.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It happens all the time when something that is essentially niche genre is too hyped (either by devs or internet) and mainstream gamers go for it.

It's actually pretty good game if you enjoy the genre.

Turkish said:
alternine said:

So No Man's Sky is another game this year that joins the list of being dogged and shat on at every turn. Here are some more examples from this year.

Star Fox Zero

Metroid Prime Federation Force

The Division

Quantum Break

Mirrors Edge Catalyst

What's your opinion of this mob mentality the internet has on games?

I actually get the impression No Man's Sky has delivered exactly what it was meant to. Just because so many people conjured up their own visions of what it was going to be is not in anyway the fault of the developer.

Looking at a lot of the titles listed in the OP. It does genuiinely seem to be over-expectation from the audience/media rather than anything the developers themselves have done wrong. You nail it on the head when you say mediocre. There is no reason to "Hate" on a mediocre game. If they were objectively dog turds I would understand it.

Expecting a game to be 9/10 finding out it's a 7/10 and so due to disappointment you give it 3/10? That's just trash journalism. In fact, it's as bad as the more "PC/SJW" outlets reviewing games with big boobies and saying "yeah it's a good game, but the sexism is unbearable so 4/10" which I have seen far too many times in recent years.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Turkish said:

Only Quantum Break, Division and No Mans Sky. I heard the others have fatal flaws, like the motion controls of Star Fox being terrible, and Mirrors Edfe having a generic open world design unlike the first game.

Why was Quantum Break's hate "justified"?

Ran like shit on pc?(couldn't even finish it on mine) The tv show aspect was done badly? It felt like a formulaic generic 3rd person shooter?

vivster said:
Where was the Mirror's Edge hate? Seems to me it was not worse received than the original.

No Man's Sky's problem was that it attached itself to Sony and as such was instantly regarded as AAA instead of a small indie project. If the game came out of nowhere nobody would've cared enough and it would probably even achieve critical acclaim in terms of indie games.

maybe next time they shouldnt charge AAA prices

oniyide said:
vivster said:
Where was the Mirror's Edge hate? Seems to me it was not worse received than the original.

No Man's Sky's problem was that it attached itself to Sony and as such was instantly regarded as AAA instead of a small indie project. If the game came out of nowhere nobody would've cared enough and it would probably even achieve critical acclaim in terms of indie games.

You know, I was actually shocked when the pricing was revealed at the same time as the PS4 physical release. I had always presumed it was a sub £20 digital only title until that point.

Are Hello Games the publisher, or did Sony/someone else make that decision for them?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

While I do agree that when games are hugely hyped prior to release it will always attract trolls who attack a game just for the sake of attacking it, it also tends to lead to a situation where perfectly valid criticism of a game is lumped together with the trolls. It seems to happen pretty much whenever a big new game is released, and someone gives it a lower score than fans of the game/series had already decided it deserves.

MikeRox said:
oniyide said:

You know, I was actually shocked when the pricing was revealed at the same time as the PS4 physical release. I had always presumed it was a sub £20 digital only title until that point.

Are Hello Games the publisher, or did Sony/someone else make that decision for them?

i wouldnt be surprised if it was Sony being stupid. Me personally im not paying 60 for NMS no way.