By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Wonder Woman AND Justice League First Trailers!

binary solo said:
celador said:
Funny how we have another big action movie with the main character being a woman, just after Ghostbusters, but this has 98% likes. Maybe all the misogynists who hated Ghostbusters are asleep or something?

Anyway, WW looks decent. I don't really know much about the backstory of her apart from the real basics, so hopefully they flesh her out quite a bit in the movie.

Ghostbusters: gender reversal of roles from a previous movie = a mortal sin in the eyes of the MRA. At least 3 of the 4 female leads are not hot sexy chicks, and the 4th is debateable = not a good thing from the MRA perspective.

Wonder Woman: Is and has always been a woman = all is right in the world for the MRA. Wonder Woman is hot, Gal Gadot is hot, and she spends a lot of the movie in a skimpy outfit that reveals all the right curves = the essence of what makes for a good female character in movies.

98% likes = the mysogynists all approving of this as the correct way to represent women in entertainment.

Ghostbusters was rightly hated for being trash, for constant pandering and calling anyone who didn't support it sexist.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
darkknightkryta said:

Exactly, STOP THAT!  It bugs me when writers do that.  "We like this version of the character, so we'll rename him instead".  No reason to do that for anything, just use the character!  Though on another note, I've noticed DC has been moving away from Wally.  I haven't been keeping up with Flash in New 52 and I haven't actually read anyone call his name in Justice League, but it seems like Wally doesn't exist anymore.

Not sure if anybody replied to this but Wally is back. DC Rebirth is reportedly giving fans everything they want from DC. Haven't read them yet but I'm tempted.

THey did :P.  I just haven't picked up my comics in 3 months so I haven't read rebirth yet.

Captain_Yuri said:
I wish they kept the TV's flash instead of replacing him. Would make the movie more better imo cause I would see a face that I would already know.

Actually I'm glad they are not. The actor in the TV show is just so bad (in my oppinion); so personally I'm glad they are trying someone else.

binary solo said:
d21lewis said:
Basically nobody will ever be pleased.

I liked the serious tone in BvS but I guess I'm part of the minority. Still can't wait to see either of these movies!!

I mean I'm REALLY REALLY excited! Trying to have realistic expectations but I can't. I'm freaking out!!

You're not alone in being fine with the tone. My main beef was that this was a Superman sequel (because the villans were both Superman villains) but it also tried to be a Batman re-boot and a Wonder Woman intro and it didn't do any of those things terribly well. I still liked the movie but it was trying to do too much to be one of the greats. It felt like the DC guys trying to play catch up with Marvel.

Also Batman killing people? That's rather problematic from a lore perspective, especially they way he was shooting people up Rambo style. That was actually the main thing I had a serious problem with. One can say that this is Batman 20 years after becoming the Bat and he's become somewhat more flexible with his no kill policy as shit kept hitting the fan over those 20 years. But still, we weren't reated to that evolution in his character. It was shoved in our face in a way that probably wouldn't have happend if the movie simply stuck to being a proper Batman reboot, which is what it should have been. 

The Batman killing people seems like something they may address here and probably in the Batman film.  This info here looks promising: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-visit-everything-you-need-to-know-about-zack-snyders-justice-league-228#image-4 (be advised, a lot of potential very mild spoilers, though nothijg plot ruining)

Basically, in BvS he was Batman on the edge of dispair, jaded from all he had seen and especially Robin's death, and was obviously very pissed at Supes.  In JL, Superman's sacrifice has had a real impact on him and he's now looking to honor his sacrifice and live up to higher ideals.  If the Batman film focuses on Robin's death and how we got to BvS, we could have a really strong arc here, just released annoyingly out of sequence :P

I don't understand why Batman killing people is considered out of character. The guy deals with criminals of all sorts, after years of fighting corruption, god knows what he's seen that pushed him to kill.

Around the Network
LurkerJ said:
I don't understand why Batman killing people is considered out of character. The guy deals with criminals of all sorts, after years of fighting corruption, god knows what he's seen that pushed him to kill.

I think it's more of him killing inconsequently.  I.E. he doesn't give a shit if the baterang hits a hand or a skull after he throws it.  Before he would.

Nuvendil said:
binary solo said:

You're not alone in being fine with the tone. My main beef was that this was a Superman sequel (because the villans were both Superman villains) but it also tried to be a Batman re-boot and a Wonder Woman intro and it didn't do any of those things terribly well. I still liked the movie but it was trying to do too much to be one of the greats. It felt like the DC guys trying to play catch up with Marvel.

Also Batman killing people? That's rather problematic from a lore perspective, especially they way he was shooting people up Rambo style. That was actually the main thing I had a serious problem with. One can say that this is Batman 20 years after becoming the Bat and he's become somewhat more flexible with his no kill policy as shit kept hitting the fan over those 20 years. But still, we weren't reated to that evolution in his character. It was shoved in our face in a way that probably wouldn't have happend if the movie simply stuck to being a proper Batman reboot, which is what it should have been. 

The Batman killing people seems like something they may address here and probably in the Batman film.  This info here looks promising: http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-visit-everything-you-need-to-know-about-zack-snyders-justice-league-228#image-4 (be advised, a lot of potential very mild spoilers, though nothijg plot ruining)

Basically, in BvS he was Batman on the edge of dispair, jaded from all he had seen and especially Robin's death, and was obviously very pissed at Supes.  In JL, Superman's sacrifice has had a real impact on him and he's now looking to honor his sacrifice and live up to higher ideals.  If the Batman film focuses on Robin's death and how we got to BvS, we could have a really strong arc here, just released annoyingly out of sequence :P

That's fine and all, but that information needed to be in this movie, which had time to waste on all kinds of other shit.  Especially when both the comic version and the previous movie versions both showed a Batman who could not be driven to murder, you can't just have him show up and gun people down.

JWeinCom said:
Nuvendil said:

That's fine and all, but that information needed to be in this movie, which had time to waste on all kinds of other shit.  Especially when both the comic version and the previous movie versions both showed a Batman who could not be driven to murder, you can't just have him show up and gun people down.

Like I said, doing these out of sequence was a bad idea.  A brief shot of the Robin costume wasn't sufficent, I totally agree.

celador said:
binary solo said:

Ghostbusters: gender reversal of roles from a previous movie = a mortal sin in the eyes of the MRA. At least 3 of the 4 female leads are not hot sexy chicks, and the 4th is debateable = not a good thing from the MRA perspective.

Wonder Woman: Is and has always been a woman = all is right in the world for the MRA. Wonder Woman is hot, Gal Gadot is hot, and she spends a lot of the movie in a skimpy outfit that reveals all the right curves = the essence of what makes for a good female character in movies.

98% likes = the mysogynists all approving of this as the correct way to represent women in entertainment.

Ghostbusters was rightly hated for being trash, for constant pandering and calling anyone who didn't support it sexist.

Everyone I know who's seen it liked it. And reviewers I know to be hard arses and don't pander to anyone gave it positive reviews. So it seems like you can't legit call Ghostbusters objectively trash. If that's your opinion fine. But it's far from being a consensus view. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

JWeinCom said:
Nuvendil said:

Yeah, it's not good enough to force people to have to dig around and find out the motivations for why someone does something that on the face of it looks wildly out of character. The basis for that sort of motivation needs to be shown in the movie itself.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix