By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are You Buying No Man's Sky?

Are You Buying No Man's Sky?

Hell YES 211 50.00%

Hell NO 137 32.46%

Show Me The Stars 74 17.54%

Total:422

I'm only gonna buy it if they make a mobile version called "Go Man's Sky" where you collect all the planets via AR.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Hell yes for me.
In real life I like exploring paths that I don't know only for the discovery pleasure, thus this game perfectly fits my tastes

GribbleGrunger said:
When we get to the centre we'll get another map which is a map of the universe and here we'll discover the ultimate goal and that's to get to the centre of the universe, but to do that we'll have to travel through even more galaxies.

Surely this is wrong. Don't you start off at the edge of a galaxy and travel to the center of the galaxy? I don't think this game has multiple galaxies or even set in an entire universe. That would beyond crazy.

Eventually, but not at launch.

I would mark it down as probably, but there's still a small chance it's a no.

Around the Network
SWORDF1SH said:
GribbleGrunger said:
When we get to the centre we'll get another map which is a map of the universe and here we'll discover the ultimate goal and that's to get to the centre of the universe, but to do that we'll have to travel through even more galaxies.

Surely this is wrong. Don't you start off at the edge of a galaxy and travel to the center of the galaxy? I don't think this game has multiple galaxies or even set in an entire universe. That would beyond crazy.

This is definitely a universe, Sean has said as much. Sean has also said that getting to the centre could be seen as a new beginning so it makes sense that our first goal is to get to the centre of the galaxy and our ultimate goal is to get to the centre of the universe. I think this is why it's been confusing. Sean doesn't want us to know that but in the last two videos he's said 'universe' even though he also says we play in a galaxy.

The PS5 Exists. 

SvennoJ said:
Slimebeast said:

Pretty cool that exploration part and Elite Dangerous!

What do you mean by "for over a year exploration was.." as if it isn't anymore. Is it because the whole ED universe has been charted or its becuse interest in it died?

What are you gaming platsforms btw SvennoJ, and have u played Elite Dangerous a lot?

And this 1000 member expeditions sounds exciting. How did it happen? Were people physically travelling with space chips in a certain direction during a 3 month period?

The chance of randomly meeting another player outside the bubble (100 ly around Sol) is pretty much non existent. It could happen and the first documented deep space meet up made the galnet news (in game news bulletin) https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/01-MAR-3301

01 MAR 3301

On the fringe of the Scutum-Centaurus arm, on the far side of the galaxy, two lone deep space explorers rendezvoused at a star system called EACTAINDS GN-W C1-6.

CMDR R4nger0's mission? To cross the galaxy in a Sidewinder.
CMDR Kamzel's mission? Returning to Earth after an 8-week survey expedition along the galactic outer rim.

CMDR Kamzel left the frontier on 16th December 3300, CMDR R4nger0 departed on 7th January 3301. The meeting was the first human contact both pilots had in the many weeks they'd been away from home. Both pilots jointly surveyed the rendezvous system, shared a bottle of Lavian Brandy, and parted ways to continue on their respective journeys. The event was recorded and a vlog data-packet was beamed back toward human space. Streams of the log can be viewed by searching for ‘A Distant Rendezvous’ via your local vlog service provider.

Some observers have called for the EACTAINDS GN-W C1-6 star system to be renamed ‘Rendezvous Point’, to commemorate this historic event... the most distant deep space encounter ever recorded.

That system is still a sort of like pilgrimage point in the game for explorers with subsequent people leaving their mark there. The galaxy is far from charted with 400 billion stars to explore! Most of which have planets around them. Some extreme locations have been covered by now. For example the furtherst system Kamzel had reached on his first long range expedition is now called Beagle point, now seen as an achievement to get there. (65 thousand light years from Sol) The area around there has been throroughly explored, yet 99% of the Galaxy still hasn't been visited at all.

Here is an overview of the early days of exploration https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/172422-Exploration-The-Age-of-Pioneers-(March-3300-August-3301) I'm in there as well April 3301 ★ CMDR SvennoJ reaches CEECKIA PE-E D13-0, a system 65,365 LYs from Sol - setting a new distance record for a 41 LY Anaconda. I've played ED a lot, daily for many months, resulting in the biggest travel log and collection of pictures I've made for any game besides Everquest. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/132053-Exploration-Quest-for-the-loneliest-planet

What I mean by it doesn't have to be a solitary affair anymore is that the introduction of player maintained groups (to play in) and later wings made it a bit less lonely. People playing in the same group can see eachother on the galaxy map and chat with eachother. Travelling in a wing ensures you end up in the same instance and can fly together. The 3 month distant world expedition at the start of this year took it even further by getting over a thousand people to follow a predefined itinerary with way points to meet up a couple of times per week. The chance of seeing anyone in between waypoints was still extremely slim, yet landing at the next waypoint and seeing all those other ships there was pretty cool. Which also resulted in all kinds of organice events like buggy races, canyon flying or this http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-19-watch-a-massive-elite-dangerous-fleet-jump-into-hyperspace

Here's the complete expedition info https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/242548-Distant-Worlds-3302-A-journey-beyond-the-Abyss-Thread-II-(discussion-itinerary-amp-maps-fleet-roster-news-archive) Warning, it's a lot! It almost took as much time keeping up with the forums as flying the ship. It was a lot of fun, sharing cool findings and prospecting planets for jump materials. (Needed to make longer jumps so ships with shorter range could reach Beagle point as well, part of the expedition was mapping out a galactic highway with 'green' systems where you can mine needed jump boost materials)

I've played ED on my laptop, 5 months last year, another 4 this year. Currently my ship is still at the other end of the Galaxy. It's more of a winter time kinda game for me. Too much outdoor stuff to do now for a timesink like ED. I mostly play on PS4 nowadays and am planning to play NMS on that. I might switch to the Steam version later if it hooks me like ED did.

Elite Dangerous only features airless rocky/icy planets so far and the amount of variation and sense of discovery is already extremely strong. NMS adds fully living worlds to discover, can't wait!

That's fascinating stuff. Those forums links were broken but the Eurigamer worked. It was cool to see them all jump into hyperspace. Epic!

I regret I didn't buy the game on the sale Steam. Should one buy the expansion or just start with the base game?

GribbleGrunger said:
SWORDF1SH said:

This is definitely a universe, Sean has said as much. Sean has also said that getting to the centre could be seen as a new beginning so it makes sense that our first goal is to get to the centre of the galaxy and our ultimate goal is to get to the centre of the universe. I think this is why it's been confusing. Sean doesn't want us to know that but in the last two videos he's said 'universe' even though he also says we play in a galaxy.

So as it stands we play in a galaxy? All I've seen so far is solar systems within one galaxy. Do you think if there are other galaxies you will be transported to another galxy through a worm hole at the center of the universe? Or will you travel between galaxies? It would be mind blowing to see something similar to that famous image that the Hubble telescope as you left the galaxy to travel to the next.

My guess is the worm hole would be the way they would go since they can control what galaxy you go to next, presumably more dangerous than the last.

SWORDF1SH said:

So as it stands we play in a galaxy? All I've seen so far is solar systems within one galaxy. Do you think if there are other galaxies you will be transported to another galxy through a worm hole at the center of the universe? Or will you travel between galaxies? It would be mind blowing to see something similar to that famous image that the Hubble telescope as you left the galaxy to travel to the next.

My guess is the worm hole would be the way they would go since they can control what galaxy you go to next, presumably more dangerous than the last.

Remember this is only a theory but I'm convinced it's true now having watched and listened carefully to every interview and tried to find a legitimate reason for the contradictions. The map we see at the moment is the galaxy (in my opinion), lot's of white dots representing solar systems, so I'd image the map of the universe will look similar but those dots will be galaxies not solar systems.

The PS5 Exists. 

Slimebeast said:

That's fascinating stuff. Those forums links were broken but the Eurigamer worked. It was cool to see them all jump into hyperspace. Epic!

I regret I didn't buy the game on the sale Steam. Should one buy the expansion or just start with the base game?

I guess you need to be a member for those secured links.

You might as well go for the expansion as you need Horizons to be able to approach, land on planets and drive around. Although you don't really need that at the start. You begin with a tiny ship and have to trade, complete missions, mine or scan planets to move up. You can make money by finding stuff on planets too yet that's much less efficient than going between space stations. And a lot more dangerous, don't approach a high g planet too fast :)

Beware it's not an easy game to jump into. Signing up for the frontier forums will give you access to tons of guides, or just get aquinted at your own pace. It's worth pushing through the initial difficulties. Here's a nice video for what Horizons adds