By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XB1 S is a Better Value than a $400 PC

jason1637 said:
Zkuq said:

Sure, if you like being handed games instead of deciding what you want to get.

With every console generation, a new controller is needed. With PC, you can still use your 20-year-old keyboard and mouse if they still work. And the chances are pretty high that you already own a keyboard and a mouse. Not everyone does, but a lot of people already have a desktop, and even laptop people usually have a mouse.

Anyway, apparently this is another PC vs. consoles comparison. And yet again, it conveniently forgets subscription costs, more expensive games, the cost of potentially owning multiple consoles, and probably a lot of other, less important but still relevant things. I really doubt there's just one objective truth that applies to everyone when it comes to PC vs. consoles. For some people, PC will offer better value, while to some other people, consoles will offer better value. There might be an objective answer for an average consumer, I doubt almost anyone on this site is qualified to determine it because determining it is most certainly not simple (or rather, it probably is relatively simple, but requires access to a good bit of data, some of which may not even have been collected).

Sometimes you actually get games that you want.

Also in this comparison I did add subscription cost. Owning multiple consoles isn't really relevant for this.

Yeah, sometimes. What about the other games you care about? And what about all the ones you don't care about, are you going to include all of them in the value  too? And yeah, you did add the subscription cost - for about a year. I'd say considering how popular online multiplayer on consoles is these days, that's a very short period.

Technically you're correct about owning multiple consoles. You could compare just a single console's price to a PC, and it's probably fine in a lot of cases. But if you look at the bigger picture, it's going to be wrong for a lot of gamers. I'd guess that most casual gamers own just one console, but more dedicated gamers tend to have multiple consoles. I think there have been some polls on this site that have showed that a lot of people here (a majority even) own or plan to get multiple consoles, which suddenly isn't as cheap anymore. So yeah, depending on your gaming habits or what kind of scope you choose for the comparison, limiting it to just a single console vs. PC could be right. But a proper comparison could also look really grim for consoles, depending on gaming habits or choice of scope. It's a complex issue of course. What about people that own both a PC and a console or several? It's pretty difficult to account for all possible, or even popular, cases.

My point is that it's not all black and white. You can find ways to make the situation seem beneficial to either side, but which one offers better value is really up to each person. Personally I find PC gaming offers me the better value, but for a lot of people, it's console gaming that offers better value. And then there's also other factors that aren't directly related to value, such as convenience. To me, it seems that a lot of people choose console gaming over PC gaming even if PC gaming would actually offer them better value, just because of a few exclusives and convenience.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
jason1637 said:

Sometimes you actually get games that you want.

Also in this comparison I did add subscription cost. Owning multiple consoles isn't really relevant for this.

Yeah, sometimes. What about the other games you care about? And what about all the ones you don't care about, are you going to include all of them in the value  too? And yeah, you did add the subscription cost - for about a year. I'd say considering how popular online multiplayer on consoles is these days, that's a very short period.

Technically you're correct about owning multiple consoles. You could compare just a single console's price to a PC, and it's probably fine in a lot of cases. But if you look at the bigger picture, it's going to be wrong for a lot of gamers. I'd guess that most casual gamers own just one console, but more dedicated gamers tend to have multiple consoles. I think there have been some polls on this site that have showed that a lot of people here (a majority even) own or plan to get multiple consoles, which suddenly isn't as cheap anymore. So yeah, depending on your gaming habits or what kind of scope you choose for the comparison, limiting it to just a single console vs. PC could be right. But a proper comparison could also look really grim for consoles, depending on gaming habits or choice of scope. It's a complex issue of course. What about people that own both a PC and a console or several? It's pretty difficult to account for all possible, or even popular, cases.

My point is that it's not all black and white. You can find ways to make the situation seem beneficial to either side, but which one offers better value is really up to each person. Personally I find PC gaming offers me the better value, but for a lot of people, it's console gaming that offers better value. And then there's also other factors that aren't directly related to value, such as convenience. To me, it seems that a lot of people choose console gaming over PC gaming even if PC gaming would actually offer them better value, just because of a few exclusives and convenience.

Well the games you dont care about there still free so if someoen checks them out they might end up loving it.

But yeah i think its around 60% of gamers own two consoles/PC/Handheld so there are people that do own multiple gaming devices.

I see where your ocming from because if you already own a gaming PC there isnt much reasson to get  a console or specifically an xbox since PC and Xbox are sharing exclusives.    

Dulfite said:
Except most gamers always own a pc that is good enough to be $400 worth. That's an incredibly cheap computer.

Actually, you may be wrong.

Looking at Steam statistics the average users have dated specs. I mean the most common CPU is dual core.

It doesn't take much to run the most popular Steam games. Frankly, many popular PC games are designed for relatively low end specs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Majority of PC's, even those that are several years old just need a GPU upgrade and they can handle the latest games just fine.

Besides, PC's have cheaper games, cheaper accessories, free online, free games/games upgraded for free. So the overall costs aren't apples to apples like many people think.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

jason1637 said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Well atleast on PC you don't have to rebuy your games every generation in the form of a ''remaster''.

Microsoft is getting rid of this with their upgradable model of generations. 

Sony was the one who started the upgradable model initiative. Microsoft wanted to beat them to market just like they did with the 360. Let's hope they don't rush the R&D like they did there and cause another colossal failure rate just to prove they can one up Sony. Sony wants to give options to the gamer on consoles so they do not join the rising arm of people who are jumping ship from consoles to PC. Microsoft is following but has not stated any legitimate reason for doing it outside of the fact that they want to have the most powerful upgraded console. As I've always said.... They will always be on sonys rear.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Majority of PC's, even those that are several years old just need a GPU upgrade and they can handle the latest games just fine.

Besides, PC's have cheaper games, cheaper accessories, free online, free games/games upgraded for free. So the overall costs aren't apples to apples like many people think.

-these graphicscards cost 300€ how is it cheap?

-Console have also cheaper games, you can get a lot of last gen games for pennies on Amazon if you buy them used. We have sales too on PSN/Live/NN. There is all kinds of compeition from digital, retail and second hand market on console. Its cheaper than steam to be honest and you arent dependent on some magical apearing SALE.

Mr Puggsly said:
Dulfite said:
Except most gamers always own a pc that is good enough to be $400 worth. That's an incredibly cheap computer.

Actually, you may be wrong.

Looking at Steam statistics the average users have dated specs. I mean the most common CPU is dual core.

It doesn't take much to run the most popular Steam games. Frankly, many popular PC games are designed for relatively low end specs. $400 is low spec. 

$400 is low spec

AnthonyW86 said:
Well atleast on PC you don't have to rebuy your games every generation in the form of a ''remaster''.

This is an EVERY generation thing?

On topic:

It just might be a better value...but as someone who is not a PC gamer I can't say for sure.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Perhaps if you count piece by piece hardware value, but certainly not as a platform.

Barkley said:
jason1637 said:

With PSN and PSPlus you are also getting much more value with a price around the PC.

Not to mention the consoles come with a gamepad, further adding value!

PC's you need an OS and a mouse+keyboard ontop of the price of the hardware.

If your really looking at it based on cost and you don't care about anything else there is nothing better then a gaming PC and it's not even an contest.