By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XB1 S is a Better Value than a $400 PC

Ruler said:
Pemalite said:
Majority of PC's, even those that are several years old just need a GPU upgrade and they can handle the latest games just fine.

Besides, PC's have cheaper games, cheaper accessories, free online, free games/games upgraded for free. So the overall costs aren't apples to apples like many people think.

-these graphicscards cost 300€ how is it cheap?

-Console have also cheaper games, you can get a lot of last gen games for pennies on Amazon if you buy them used. We have sales too on PSN/Live/NN. There is all kinds of compeition from digital, retail and second hand market on console. Its cheaper than steam to be honest and you arent dependent on some magical apearing SALE.

I didn't pay that much for my graphics card and I was able to play games that looked way way better then anythiny on my PS4. Crysis 3 just flat out looked real at some moments.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Pemalite said:
Majority of PC's, even those that are several years old just need a GPU upgrade and they can handle the latest games just fine.

Besides, PC's have cheaper games, cheaper accessories, free online, free games/games upgraded for free. So the overall costs aren't apples to apples like many people think.

-Console have also cheaper games, you can get a lot of last gen games for pennies on Amazon if you buy them used. We have sales too on PSN/Live/NN. There is all kinds of compeition from digital, retail and second hand market on console. Its cheaper than steam to be honest and you arent dependent on some magical apearing SALE.

1) No they dont.

2) If you think Consoles can compete with Steam, Gog.com, Origin, uPlay, Green Man Gaming, Gamers Gate and the plethora of CD Key websites, Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars' etc'. Then you REALLY have not being paying attention, PC games are so much cheaper than Console games, it's insane. - I own hundreds of games on PC and Console. PC is always cheaper. No contest.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Ruler said:

1) No they dont.

2) If you think Consoles can compete with Steam, Gog.com, Origin, uPlay, Green Man Gaming, Gamers Gate and the plethora of CD Key websites, Humble Bundle, Bundle Stars' etc'. Then you REALLY have not being paying attention, PC games are so much cheaper than Console games, it's insane. - I own hundreds of games on PC and Console. PC is always cheaper. No contest.

PC games are on average about 15-20% cheaper, they're usually even around 15% cheaper at launch. I paid about 15£ for most of my PS3 games which were Platinum collection, and most PC titles in the same category go for about 1/3 of that. Not to mention hundreds of Freeware titles, insane bundles and constant sales on digital titles.

PC games are a lot cheaper than console games, it's one of the biggest advantages it has as a gaming platform. As a bonus; online play is also free (as it well should be, of course).

method114 said:
Barkley said:

Not to mention the consoles come with a gamepad, further adding value!

PC's you need an OS and a mouse+keyboard ontop of the price of the hardware.

If your really looking at it based on cost and you don't care about anything else there is nothing better then a gaming PC and it's not even an contest. 

I can go out and buy a used ps4 for sub £200, it'd cost £110-£125 just to get a GTX950, then you need a case, motherboard, cpu, hdd, mouse, keyboard,psu. My Gaming PC I built 3 years ago cost me £700, sure you can get a cheaper one but I wouldn't, it needs to last and trading in PC parts isn't quite as easy as trading in a console. It is more powerful than a ps4 still, but the gaming experience isn't really any better.

Mummelmann said:

PC games are on average about 15-20% cheaper, they're usually even around 15% cheaper at launch. I paid about 15£ for most of my PS3 games which were Platinum collection, and most PC titles in the same category go for about 1/3 of that.

While this is a big advantage PC has it's getting a lot closer this generation, PSN now has weekly sales. It was only the other week Battlefield 4 and Battlefield Hardline were £3.99 each on ps4.

Another big advantage is renting, I can pay £9.99 a month and have unlimited rentals on ps4 games, tis great!

Rented Ratchet & Clank at launch, platinumed it in 6 days,  that works out at £1.99 booyah.

Around the Network
method114 said:
Ruler said:

I didn't pay that much for my graphics card and I was able to play games that looked way way better then anythiny on my PS4. Crysis 3 just flat out looked real at some moments.

the RX480 costs 300€ here, PS4 Neo will offer same performance and wont cost more than 400 or 500

Pemalite said:
Ruler said:

1) No they dont.

-yes they do, the RX480 costs 300€ here, PS4 Neo will offer the same performance and more, and it wont cost more than 400 or 500. AMD new card was unerwhelming you said in your own words if i remember

-you own only indie games and 7th gen games probably. I can also count my games from previous consoles in my list.

Look for example at Bishock you can buy the remaster for 50€ on Xbox One and PS4, ro for 22€ for all the last gen versions on Amazon which includes shipping cost. Meanwhile on Steam you have to buy every single one of them which will cost you 70€, there is no Sale for these games

Barkley said:
method114 said:

If your really looking at it based on cost and you don't care about anything else there is nothing better then a gaming PC and it's not even an contest. 

I can go out and buy a used ps4 for sub £200, it'd cost £110-£125 just to get a GTX950, then you need a case, motherboard, cpu, hdd, mouse, keyboard,psu. My Gaming PC I built 3 years ago cost me £700, sure you can get a cheaper one but I wouldn't, it needs to last and trading in PC parts isn't quite as easy as trading in a console. It is more powerful than a ps4 still, but the gaming experience isn't really any better.

Yes but any PC gamer if he really wanted to could get anything for free once the machine is built and ready. Once you add in live subscription and software prices your paying more. If a PC gamer was a pirate he would be paying much much less but even with steam sales and all the other sales you still end up coming out ahead. The upfront cost are more but the overall savings is more and it's why I tried to swtich to PC gaming. Unfortunately I'm on a mouse and keybnoard all day at work and I'm not going to play on one. I need a controller to do everything.

method114 said:
Barkley said:

Yes but any PC gamer if he really wanted to could get anything for free once the machine is built and ready. Once you add in live subscription and software prices your paying more. If a PC gamer was a pirate he would be paying much much less but even with steam sales and all the other sales you still end up coming out ahead. The upfront cost are more but the overall savings is more and it's why I tried to swtich to PC gaming. Unfortunately I'm on a mouse and keybnoard all day at work and I'm not going to play on one. I need a controller to do everything.

You can't use Piracy to argue PC gaming is cheaper xD. While you're right that it would make PC gaming substantially cheaper and it is an option used by many It's not really a point you should should use for this debate.

Ruler said:
method114 said:

the RX480 costs 300€ here, PS4 Neo will offer same performance and wont cost more than 400 or 500

The RX isn't the only GPU that exists on the market. I am also seeing the 4Gb version sell for $220 Euro's?
Besides, it's a new release, there is an early adopter tax, prices will drop substantually before the Neo comes along.

You have no idea what kind of performance the Playstation 4's Neo will offer, stop pretending that you do, it's not released and Sony hasn't detailed it's hardware specifications.

Ruler said:

-you own only indie games and 7th gen games probably. I can also count my games from previous consoles in my list.

Look for example at Bishock you can buy the remaster for 50€ on Xbox One and PS4, ro for 22€ for all the last gen versions on Amazon which includes shipping cost. Meanwhile on Steam you have to buy every single one of them which will cost you 70€, there is no Sale for these games

1) That's a big assumption. Would you like me to link you to all of my games so you can take a look around? Stuff it. Here they are anyway.
https://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/Pemalite/
steamcommunity.com/id/Pemalite/
I own all the games listed. (And I am happy to prove it too.)

2) Again. You assume that Steam is the only place you can buy PC games.
I got Bioshock at 90% off on PC a few years back. I don't have to buy them again, they get a free upgrade to the remaster. I also own the games on 360, they don't get a free upgrade to the remaster.

At EB Games for the next gen remaster it is $100 AUD.

At full price Bioshock Trilogy is $80 AUD on Steam, for all games seperately.

So there is a 20% price difference right there.

Green Man Gaming has it for $70 AUD, but also has a 23% discount on it bringing it down to $53.90 AUD.

G2A has its for $31.16 AUD.

Shall I keep going? Or have I proven my point already? Those sites also activate those games on Steam. (Minus EB as that is console centric.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Barkley said:
method114 said:

You can't use Piracy to argue PC gaming is cheaper xD. While you're right that it would make PC gaming substantially cheaper and it is an option used by many It's not really a point you should should use for this debate.

Ok ok that's a cheap way to win the argument but even with just sales it still works out great for PC gamers. In the end I think the amount of money you save or spend is about the same with PC and consoles. Except with PC you get much better graphics. I'm just waiting for the ability to use my PC with a controller only on every single game. Not sure how they will do that with multiplayer games but they need to make like extra servers with controll only PC players or something.