Blizzard 134 36.22%

Rockstar 165 44.59%

Konami 42 11.35%

None of those 29 7.84%

Total:370
jason1637 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

It is and has always been.

Oh my bad. I saw Blizzard, Activision, and Konami.

That never happened cuz you have no proof I made that mistake.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
jason1637 said:

Oh my bad. I saw Blizzard, Activision, and Konami.

That never happened cuz you have no proof I made that mistake.

Lol. I voted Konami

Wasn't even a hardcore PC gamer when I got into Blizzard games. Blizz without a doubt.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

For me it's definitely Rockstar Games.

Nautilus said:
Zkuq said:

Which three? All I can think is hack'n'slash RPGs with Diablo. RTS games existed before Warcraft (Dune and C&C), so I wouldn't personally count StarCraft, and as far as I know WoW didn't define anything either (although it really nailed it by doing everything so well). WoW did have a huge impact though, but I wouldn't call it defining anything. Hearthstone and card games perhaps, or were there popular games in that genre before it? I guess that's two.

Warcraft popularized the RTS genre and also made it the great genre it is today.And while Starcraft didnt innovate anything, since Warcraft already did it, it did perfect the formula, being arguably the best RTS game ever made.And while WOW wasnt the first MMo to be created, it was(again) the one that made the genre popular in the first place, and pioneered many things which are now standards on MMO(which you can see by how many MMO tried to be a WOW clone).Plus diablo as you already mentioned.So yeah, you got there the 3 defining games that made 3 different genres as we have today.

I'm pretty sure it was either Westwood and their games or Westwood + Blizzard that popularized RTS games. Definitely not Blizzard alone though. MMOs were popular even before WoW, it just managed to grab even non-gamers. Yeah, that's huge, but hardly genre-defining. It did have a huge impact but the genre already existed, and as far as I know, WoW didn't drastically change it.

pokoko said:
Zkuq said:

Which three? All I can think is hack'n'slash RPGs with Diablo. RTS games existed before Warcraft (Dune and C&C), so I wouldn't personally count StarCraft, and as far as I know WoW didn't define anything either (although it really nailed it by doing everything so well). WoW did have a huge impact though, but I wouldn't call it defining anything. Hearthstone and card games perhaps, or were there popular games in that genre before it? I guess that's two.

You might have an argument with Warcraft/Starcraft but I don't see how it can argued that that WoW has not defined MMOs.  I was into MMOs when it came out and I remember it hitting the scene like a tidal wave.  Ask the average person what they think of when you say "MMO" and they'll probably say "WOW".  It has over 100 million accounts created--and that's for a subscription based service.

MMOs existed and were popular even before WoW, and I'm pretty sure WoW didn't drastically change the genre. Its impact on the genre and its popularity is huge, but I think it didn't drastically change anything so that it could be said to have define the genre. It's by far the single most important game in the genre, but the genre already existed way before WoW.

I suppose it's important how you want to define what it means for a game to define a genre. To me, it's not just about popularity (although it is importan too), but also about the roots.

Oh, maybe I should get back on topic. I suppose Blizzard, because everything Blizzard touches turns to gold. There have been some mistakes too, but overall, Blizzard has been pretty great. I like Rockstar as well, but personally I think GTA is greatly overrated, and they haven't made that many other games in a long time. Also, I don't think iterating over the same thing (GTA) over and over again makes a company great. It may be great for business, but it's way too easy and safe for me to be able to call someone that great.

Around the Network

Blizzard makes more cheesy games, but ones people remember because of it, so I'll go with them.

Zkuq said:
Nautilus said:

Warcraft popularized the RTS genre and also made it the great genre it is today.And while Starcraft didnt innovate anything, since Warcraft already did it, it did perfect the formula, being arguably the best RTS game ever made.And while WOW wasnt the first MMo to be created, it was(again) the one that made the genre popular in the first place, and pioneered many things which are now standards on MMO(which you can see by how many MMO tried to be a WOW clone).Plus diablo as you already mentioned.So yeah, you got there the 3 defining games that made 3 different genres as we have today.

I'm pretty sure it was either Westwood and their games or Westwood + Blizzard that popularized RTS games. Definitely not Blizzard alone though. MMOs were popular even before WoW, it just managed to grab even non-gamers. Yeah, that's huge, but hardly genre-defining. It did have a huge impact but the genre already existed, and as far as I know, WoW didn't drastically change it.

Yeah, Westwood was the one that basically created the genre with Dune and Command and Conquer, but it wasnt until Warcraft that things really got popular.But ill give you this one, since Westwood importance over Blizzard on this one cant really be ignored.But in my opinion you are wrong about WOW.It dosent really matter if the genre has already been created before by another game.I mean, most revolutionary games we have nowadays have inspiration on games that came before it.The point is that WOW did things so right, abe with new or existing ideas, that should be credited as such.It basically laid the foundation for the other games in the genre, and when one game does that, I think its worth the title "revolutionary".Thats at least how I see it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Voted Konami.

No contest.
I still play Warcraft 3 and Starcraft: Brood War and the first two Diablo games to this day.
When was the last time anyone played GTA:San Andreas or even GTA IV? Rockstar games age like milk.

New Blizzard (SC2 and up) vs Rockstar might be a contest, but factor in old Blizzard and it's just a bloodbath.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Nautilus said:
Zkuq said:

Yeah, Westwood was the one that basically created the genre with Dune and Command and Conquer, but it wasnt until Warcraft that things really got popular.But ill give you this one, since Westwood importance over Blizzard on this one cant really be ignored.But in my opinion you are wrong about WOW.It dosent really matter if the genre has already been created before by another game.I mean, most revolutionary games we have nowadays have inspiration on games that came before it.The point is that WOW did things so right, abe with new or existing ideas, that should be credited as such.It basically laid the foundation for the other games in the genre, and when one game does that, I think its worth the title "revolutionary".Thats at least how I see it.

One company did not popularize RTS gaming.
Blizzard and Westwood were equal rivals until EA fucked Westwood up. People forget so easily just how big Westwood was. And those weren't the only one. Age of Empires held its own against both weswood and Blizzard.

Blizzard eventually won because the superb design of their games made them keep selling long after they got old. But at the time of the golden age of RTS gaming, three companies made the genre popular, not one.

I LOVE ICELAND!