By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Nintendo NX will be dead on Arrival.

oniyide said:
At least the man came back in and took his crow, some people wouldnt even do that.

He did?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SpokenTruth said:

Let me ask it this way, can you name me 1 console that started off incredibly strong for several months and then burned out a year after launch?

Wii U (jk sadly)

WiiU didn't have several months. It launched in November, in January it became clear that it has no momentum after the launch. At that point was still some hope of revitalization, but it looked bad then. Switch is already way beyond that mark.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

oniyide said:
At least the man came back in and took his crow, some people wouldnt even do that.

The OP (banaking) didn't came back. Some of the posters in the thread were coming back, you might have mixed up some users.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
oniyide said:

The OP (banaking) didn't came back. Some of the posters in the thread were coming back, you might have mixed up some users.

Oh i must have. pity, kudos to does that did.

Interesting thread, crow just keeps getting put on the endangered species list.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
darkenergy said:
Interesting thread, crow just keeps getting put on the endangered species list.

Well he was right on the specs being outdated and the library lackluster.

SpokenTruth said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Well he was right on the specs being outdated and the library lackluster.

Outdated specs were a given.  That's like predicting the next Tesla vehicle will be electric.  Switch was known as a portable device.  Not possible to have high end specs.

The library being lackluster is fully dependant on taste. Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Arms (among many others) all make for a diverse and highly rated games library for those that like a Nintendo device.  If you wanted Sony/MS 3rd party games, you don't look to Nintendo consoles.  It's only lackluster if you expected those games.

Nobody knew what it wsa going to be. When he predicted we didn't know it would be a portable system. Not with certainty.

Mario Kart 8 is a port, Arms is hardly what I would call a great game to begin with, Breath of the Wild is also on Wii U but even if you include that the library is lackluster. No majpor multiplatform games and a handful of first party games don't make for a good library in any genre. And certainly not all of these are highly rated, you know that well.

That could change with time I know, but at present I can't find any way its library would be considered strong or even decent.

Lol, OP. Where are you now? Don't cry XD

I fully intend to pick up the switch when they "force" me to via a must have like Mario. That being said, I agree with some of the posters here that it is far too early to assume prolonged success of the system, but on the other hand, it's certainly not dead on arrival. That implies and instant flop out of the gate.

Every single portable LCD Nintendo system has sold 70 million or more units. Well the 3DS will get there in a few months anyway. So basically every single one. Portables are simply Nintendo's strength and have been for a long time. 

What the Switch wisely did is introduce high-end, console style gaming to the handheld world and as such differentiates itself from cheap/casual free games on tablets/phones that were killing a big chunk of the DS-to-3DS audience.

Before you couldn't have games like Zelda: BotW or Mario Kart 8 or Splatoon 2 on a portable, what you'd get were downgraded spin-offs or portable-ized versions of those games (read: lower quality visuals/scope/size). 

The challenge Nintendo really had was how were they going to differniate their portable product in a world where cheap/free games on phones/tablets have completey eradicated the lower rung portions of the traditional handheld market. Well they've responded with an approach that takes their portable experience higher end, which seems to be working, but portables has always been Nintendo's comfort zone. Unlike the wild rollercoaster of their console division, portables are always stable for them, even the 3DS is going to outsell the NES.