By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

spemanig said:
Pemalite said:

Should be getting close though. nVidia Tegra 6/Parker looks to be a mobile beast this year and the Tegra X1 is already pretty good.
It's just unfortunate that nVidia is pretty much irrellevant in the mobile space.

Now nVidia went from 192 to 256 Cuda cores when it went from the K1 to X1, 28nm to 20nm.
So it stands to reason a linear increase would mean 320 Cuda cores when it drops down to 16nm.
1GHz * 2 FP 16 * 2 FMA * 320 = 1280 Gflop.

Same amount of ROPS but with quarter of the texture mapping units. Bandwidth though, is another kettle of fish entirely, the Xbox One will beat Tegra for many more years to come due to that fact, Tegra likely has inferior Geometry performance too.

Interested to see what nVidia does in 2017.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NXDS will definitely be able to handle fantastic looking downgraded ports of XBO/PS4-level games by the time it comes out that will look essentially undiscernable from the console versions due to the smaller screen, lower resolution made up for by high pixel density blah blah. But definitely nothing with the power of the XBO in such a small form factor by next year.

Oh I agree.
But not because of the chips themselves though, but because the Memory systems in mobile are poor. (I.E. LPDDR3/LPDDR4 usually single channel.)
Plus the Xbox One released with a 28nm chip that is based on technology that is 4 years old... And it was never fast to begin with.
The advantages of 14 and 16nm compared to 28nm does open up allot of possibilities though.

That said, this is also Nintendo we are talking about, they gave up trying to win the Performance and thus Graphics quality crown generations ago... They likely will not be using the latest and greatest mobile SoC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
spemanig said:

Don't get me wrong, I think the NXDS will definitely be able to handle fantastic looking downgraded ports of XBO/PS4-level games by the time it comes out that will look essentially undiscernable from the console versions due to the smaller screen, lower resolution made up for by high pixel density blah blah. But definitely nothing with the power of the XBO in such a small form factor by next year.

Oh I agree.
But not because of the chips themselves though, but because the Memory systems in mobile are poor. (I.E. LPDDR3/LPDDR4 usually single channel.)
Plus the Xbox One released with a 28nm chip that is based on technology that is 4 years old... And it was never fast to begin with.
The advantages of 14 and 16nm compared to 28nm does open up allot of possibilities though.

That said, this is also Nintendo we are talking about, they gave up trying to win the Performance and thus Graphics quality crown generations ago... They likely will not be using the latest and greatest mobile SoC.

Nintendo's pretty obsessed with high speed RAM pools on their systems though. Even the 3DS has some type of embedded RAM pool.

I doubt they would just use vanilla LPDDR4 and nothing else. Probably LPDDR4 + some embedded RAM or something equivalent.

Miyamotoo said:
thismeintiel said:
It's what I figured it would be going on this and earlier rumors. It'll be somewhere around XBO's power, using some sort of gimmick to try to bring people in, while probably launching at $299-$349. Looking like a repeat of the Wii U's numbers if true. Core gamers are just not going to be enticed by a console that's less powerful than the one they have now. Core gamers are also mostly done with gimmicks after motion controls didn't live up to their potential. If they're going to spend another $350, they'll probably purchase a PS4 Neo, instead.

You are very wrong if you think they will release around XB1 power console for $299-349 and basically repeat Wii U mistake (several time they stated Wii U had higher price than they wanted). If they releasing around XB1 power console it will have $249-299 price point. Also PS4 Neo will not have price point below $399.

We'll have to see what kind of deal Nintendo can make with manufacturers.  If the Wii U is any indication, taking a loss on outdated HW at $299+, they probably won't be getting the best cost per part.  It'll probably be even worse if manufacturers look at only 15M Wii Us shipped, lucky if it hits 20M+.  But, maybe they can pull off at least $299.  Of course, that still doesn't change that not only will it have to compete against a $299 PS4 OG, which will still be more powerful than it, but it'll also look even more outdated once the PS4 Neo is shown.

Soundwave said:

They have very poor odds of third party support now I'd say. No x86 and a weaker chip than the PS4 ... third parties are not going to even bother. At least the Western ones.

Nintendo wouldn't get western third-party-support anyway, so why bother.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Seems the NX will live or die by the grace of the handheld crowd. If it's left up to coach gamers, the contraption will come down in flames very quickly. "Sleek and attractive" won't do shit, expecting a new machine to sell on the back of such intangibles just shows a fundamental misperception of the gaming market.

Around the Network

now this sounds like classic Nintendo LOL, we shall see but I kinda dont doubt this

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Miyamotoo said:

Future hardware can mean handheld also, so if we have Nvidia in handheld that doesn't mean will not have AMD in home console.

Emily's post was about the console, and the Nvidia comment was meant to clarify why NX wasn't using x86. Also, another source said the NX console is using Nvidia. Sooooo AMD looks out of the picture. Sounds like it was Neo all along.

Dante9 said:
Seems the NX will live or die by the grace of the handheld crowd. If it's left up to coach gamers, the contraption will come down in flames very quickly. "Sleek and attractive" won't do shit, expecting a new machine to sell on the back of such intangibles just shows a fundamental misperception of the gaming market.

Not a single successful console has sold off the back of "coach gamers." They don't matter. Mainstream casuals do. "Sleek and attractive" will do all the shit.

Having the PowerPC RISC-based chip really wasn't really a big reason why the Wii U doesn't have third party support. Looking back at its conception to now, it seems the machine was doomed to fail after the partnership with EA failed, and I don't think it was because of the rumored rejecting the Origin store front, its a good chance it was the deal, that eventually fell through, with Microsoft and it's orginal plans for the Xbox One.

The next big blow would be when the major game engines at the time, the CryEngine and Unreal decided not to actively support Nintendo's home console. With out that support most developers didn't seem to want to spend time setting up the engines to work with the console. Then there was the nasty spiral that was Nitnendo getting use to HD development so their games were pushed back and the system not selling because the "big titles" were late, then the thrid parties "testing" the waters with questionable titles, which caused some to pull out.

spemanig said:

Emily's post was about the console, and the Nvidia comment was meant to clarify why NX wasn't using x86. Also, another source said the NX console is using Nvidia. Sooooo AMD looks out of the picture. Sounds like it was Neo all along.

Considering AMD's report on having 3 custom wins entering production I doubt this.