By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

Wow, not even at XBO's level? Close too? NX better be able to make toast or the deals off for me.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

OK Captain Semantics.

A portable device that you hold in your hands (as opposed to your genitals) that's the size of a Wii U game pad would be capable of running games XBox One games like Star Wars Battlefront, Call of Duty, FIFA, Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed etc. on a 5-6 inch display where 720p or 1080p rendering would be overkill and as such 960x540 resolution or less would be acceptable.

That's possible. Unlikely for Nintendo since they don't care much for cutting edge technology. If Sony was making a tablet ... oh hell yeah. They'd totally go for it.

tldr

A handheld with power similar to the XBO isn't happening by 2017.

Should be getting close though. nVidia Tegra 6/Parker looks to be a mobile beast this year and the Tegra X1 is already pretty good.
It's just unfortunate that nVidia is pretty much irrellevant in the mobile space.

Now nVidia went from 192 to 256 Cuda cores when it went from the K1 to X1, 28nm to 20nm.
So it stands to reason a linear increase would mean 320 Cuda cores when it drops down to 16nm.
1GHz * 2 FP 16 * 2 FMA * 320 = 1280 Gflop.

Same amount of ROPS but with quarter of the texture mapping units. Bandwidth though, is another kettle of fish entirely, the Xbox One will beat Tegra for many more years to come due to that fact, Tegra likely has inferior Geometry performance too.

Interested to see what nVidia does in 2017.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Platina said:

He's implying that there needs to be a balance, so where the price stands is not necessarily around the price of the Wii U, but if the power is actually around the XOne/PS4 or weaker, it definitely should be around the price you have mentioned

I still think they're going for some sort of consolidated pricing model, but I'm not as solid on that as my other predictions as there's only one quote by Iwata that could potentially be interpreted as away to back up the idea of some weird pricing structure.

It's funny how she always breaks her rules about posting stuff. At one point she said she wouldn't post anything for the rest of may before posting the thing calling out power levels. Then today she tweeted that she wouldn't post any more NX rumors for the year before confirming Nvidia to a known Gaf insider.

Pemalite said:
spemanig said:

tldr

A handheld with power similar to the XBO isn't happening by 2017.

Should be getting close though. nVidia Tegra 6/Parker looks to be a mobile beast this year and the Tegra X1 is already pretty good.
It's just unfortunate that nVidia is pretty much irrellevant in the mobile space.

Now nVidia went from 192 to 256 Cuda cores when it went from the K1 to X1, 28nm to 20nm.
So it stands to reason a linear increase would mean 320 Cuda cores when it drops down to 16nm.
1GHz * 2 FP 16 * 2 FMA * 320 = 1280 Gflop.

Same amount of ROPS but with quarter of the texture mapping units. Bandwidth though, is another kettle of fish entirely, the Xbox One will beat Tegra for many more years to come due to that fact, Tegra likely has inferior Geometry performance too.

Interested to see what nVidia does in 2017.

Don't get me wrong, I think the NXDS will definitely be able to handle fantastic looking downgraded ports of XBO/PS4-level games by the time it comes out that will look essentially undiscernable from the console versions due to the smaller screen, lower resolution made up for by high pixel density blah blah. But definitely nothing with the power of the XBO in such a small form factor by next year.

Around the Network

It's what I figured it would be going on this and earlier rumors. It'll be somewhere around XBO's power, using some sort of gimmick to try to bring people in, while probably launching at $299-$349. Looking like a repeat of the Wii U's numbers if true. Core gamers are just not going to be enticed by a console that's less powerful than the one they have now. Core gamers are also mostly done with gimmicks after motion controls didn't live up to their potential. If they're going to spend another $350, they'll probably purchase a PS4 Neo, instead.

thismeintiel said:
It's what I figured it would be going on this and earlier rumors. It'll be somewhere around XBO's power, using some sort of gimmick to try to bring people in, while probably launching at $299-$349. Looking like a repeat of the Wii U's numbers if true. Core gamers are just not going to be enticed by a console that's less powerful than the one they have now. Core gamers are also mostly done with gimmicks after motion controls didn't live up to their potential. If they're going to spend another $350, they'll probably purchase a PS4 Neo, instead.

You are very wrong if you think they will release around XB1 power console for $299-349 and basically repeat Wii U mistake (several time they stated Wii U had higher price than they wanted). If they releasing around XB1 power console it will have $249-299 price point. Also PS4 Neo will not have price point below $399.

Soundwave said:
Emily Rogers apparently confirmed to a NeoGaffer that Nvidia is involved in Nintendo's future hardware. So I guess no AMD?

Future hardware can mean handheld also, so if we have Nvidia in handheld that doesn't mean will not have AMD in home console.

SJReiter said:
Platina said:
Tagging

Really wonder what the launch price of this console will be..

Check out Kimishima's recent comments on the subject: 

-I am curious about the price. Nintendo has a history of value-focused consoles.

"It’s true there is a certain expectation for the prices of Nintendo consoles. Our developers put a lot into them, but we can not sell at a loss. The final price is determined by balancing these two conflicting ideas. I don’t believe it’s as simple as “because this is a new platform, we can make it more expensive.”"

Seems like he's implying it won't necessarily be more expensive than the Wii U. So about $300 then? Maybe $350?

Nintendo stated that Wii U had higher price than they wanted, IMO NX will have price point $249-299, definatly not above $299.

Probably $299 with some kind of new gimmick from the sounds of it.

My guess is then a 1TFLOP Nvidia custom chip based on mobile tech, slightly below the XBox One.

Welp. At least it'll be an upgrade on the Wii U hardware wise whereas the Wii was barely one over GameCube.