By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which decade do you think was the best for video games?

Tagged games:

Which decade do you think was the best for video games?

1970s: Everything is bran... 0 0%

1980s: Huge improvements in quality and story 16 5.99%

1990s: The first CD and 3... 142 53.18%

2000s: Online play, matur... 76 28.46%

2010s: The last six years... 33 12.36%

Total:267

The 1990s, though there are some really great gems from the 2000s

Around the Network

Honestly, I feel like people are being a bit too bent towards their childhood. The 2000s or 2010s win by sheer volume alone. They produced a ton of better games, like hundreds more.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Ka-pi96 said:
Psychotic said:

2010s.

Anything else is just Miss Nostalgia painting everything pink. Now we have casual games, hardcore games, indie games, cinematic games, free-to-play games, mobile games... there's something for everybody, you can spend every free minute playing and it's much less about graphics than it used to and more about uniqueness. Only this decade could have brought things like Minecraft, Undertale and Dark Souls.

I loved gaming in the 90s, I loved gaming in the 2000s and I love gaming now. And the very fact that I didn't get tired of it a long time ago means that it just keeps getting better.

(And yes, I know MC and DS are technically from 2009. Sue me.)

Funny, I feel like it's the opposite...

So that's why Undertale and Journey win Game of the Year awards?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Definitely not the 70s or 80s though games were great. They got their stride in the 90's, in my opinion. It was a magical time full of innovation and freshness.

Acevil said:
Pemalite said:
Late 90's. Early 2000's on the PC, when developers were mixing genre's and taking risks. *sigh* The golden years... You just don't get games like Sacrifice or Dungeon Keeper anymore.

You cannot take risks anymore, since costs are so high, just look at some games like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite to notice that costs skyrocketed. 

You can take risks...

Developers being able to take risks is now starting to make a resurgence over the last couple of years, thanks to the PC, thanks to crowd funding.

There are also ways to maintain your cost ceiling, I.E. Free game engines, small teams. etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

90's, easy.

This question always comes down to Nostalgia, 90's. Because they're the games I grew up with and loved. If I was born later I have no doubt it'd be the 2000's instead.

The ps1/2 era

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil