By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Fanboys anger me! Uncharted 4 Rant!

Neodegenerate said:
IkePoR said:

Really? I disagree, it had massive marketing, appeared in multiple directs recieving multiple DLC's and paches and got the same budle treatment as Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4. 

AAA to me speaks more to the production budget/value than it does just to marketing.  It also speaks to the expected reception of the game.  I think games like Splatoon, and this year's release of Ratchet and Clank, are games that would fall out of that category despite being high quality games.

Isn't marketing part of the budget though?  Or at least the bottom line?  Xenoblade X wouldn't be considered AAA because it has the opposites of games like Splatoon, MK and Smash.

If there's a way to define triple A games more factually, I'll digress.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network

You have to expect franchise fatigue to start setting in when this is the 5th game in the series, 6 if you count the shitty card game. Also, when reviewers say the game needs to innovate, it doesn't necessarily mean ND needs to radically change it into something no one has done before. But how about something they have never done before? Something different for the series.

Either way though, it makes for interesting discussion, but you should never let the opinions of reviewers actually compromise you emotionally. It's just the opinion of random people.

IkePoR said:
Neodegenerate said:

AAA to me speaks more to the production budget/value than it does just to marketing.  It also speaks to the expected reception of the game.  I think games like Splatoon, and this year's release of Ratchet and Clank, are games that would fall out of that category despite being high quality games.

Isn't marketing part of the budget though?  Or at least the bottom line?  Xenoblade X wouldn't be considered AAA because it has the opposites of games like Splatoon, MK and Smash.

Marketing is part of the budget sure.  But do you really think that Splatoon's marketing budget, along with production budget, was equivalent to other games considered AAA like GTA, Uncharted, Halo, Gears of War, etc etc?

I could be putting too fine a definition on AAA, but I always took it to be the more blockbuster-y style of game.

Neodegenerate said:
IkePoR said:

Marketing is part of the budget sure.  But do you really think that Splatoon's marketing budget, along with production budget, was equivalent to other games considered AAA like GTA, Uncharted, Halo, Gears of War, etc etc?

I could be putting too fine a definition on AAA, but I always took it to be the more blockbuster-y style of game.

Well, 4 million on Wii U is as blockbuster as you're gonna get without Mario(if this is a reliable source).

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Generic seems like the word they should have used. That or homogenized. A game doesn't have to be innovative to be good, but you shouldn't gain points either for being generic or safe.

Lube Me Up

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
Neodegenerate said:

Well, 4 million on Wii U is as blockbuster as you're gonna get without Mario(if this is a reliable source).

4 million is a great sales number, but I still don't think that qualifies the game as AAA.  The shame of it is AAA is a term thrown around a lot that still doesn't have a firm definition.  It is largely open to interpretation, though most agree on the idea that it is an expensive game that is expected to move a ton of units.

Splatoon to me, based on that loose definition, doesn't meet the expensive part.  I don't think anyone would ever call Minecraft AAA, despite its huge sales pool.

IkePoR said:
Neodegenerate said:

Of course it is. Why would marketing of a specific game not be in its budget? Although, the amount Nintendo spent on Splatoon advertising was pretty huge. So, it might be more expensive you might you think.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Volterra_90 said:
The game is not innovative, that's a fact. It depends on the reviewer, but you can deduct points for that. Not convinced on the other two reasons though XD.

Innovative.... That just sounds dumb to me when we are in an industry where IP iteration is the norm not the exception. 

outlawauron said:
IkePoR said:

Of course it is. Why would marketing of a specific game not be in its budget? Although, the amount Nintendo spent on Splatoon advertising was pretty huge. So, it might be more expensive you might you think.

Would you classify Splatoon as AAA though?  That is the heart of the conversation there.

Unfarted 4: A Constipated End.

Joke.