By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: New PS4k/PS4.5 leak via NeoGAF - GPU twice as powerful, dev kits already in developers' hands, $399-$499

Most likely not true, people should time these statements with april fool´s day instead :).

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

I am a console and handheld purist, and I think this is the best thing to to consoles in many generations. I wish they would have done this when Cell went from 90nm to 65nm, and again from 65nm to 40nm. The same thing should have happened on the Vita as well. In fact the Vita would most likely be flying off shelves if they had done this, and added phone and texting to it.

I don't know who these people are that think this is bad. I mean, yeah, if this was PS5, then that would be some major BS. But, it's not, it's just a premium upgrade of the current PS4, and all games will work on all PS4's, so there is absolutely no reason to be upset over this, it changes nothing for those that already have a PS4, and offers a better experince for those that want it.

If Sony had done that with the ps3, they might not be here now... It's basically throwing away your profitable years by resetting the clock. The ps3 had a massive hole to climb out of. But perhaps Sony is run by masochists and its time to dig a new hole.

It changes nothing for those that already have a ps4?
Well, apart from the fact whether getting PSVR is a good idea or not. Is it going to be supported at all beyond launch on base ps4 in such a scenario?
And perhaps more expensive games, good excuse to raise the price, better on ps4k. The extra dev costs need to be covered somehow.

I have not bought a PS4 yet so I think its a good idea. If the old PS4 plays all the PS4k games there is no downside for current PS4 owners.

Netyaroze said:
I have not bought a PS4 yet so I think its a good idea. If the old PS4 plays all the PS4k games there is no downside for current PS4 owners.

The question is not *whether* they can be played but *how*. *How* is a big point this generation.

Glad I didn't buy a PS4 yet. I was planning to buy one this holiday but now I'm not so sure...

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
JEMC said:
Twice the GPU power is not enough to run games at 4K.

Well its probably good enough to run a current 1080p/60fps PS4 game at 4k/30fps.

They really shouldnt call it the 4k in my opinion. It wont have much 4k content for gaming.

On a side note, Xbox could probably gain some ground if they also launch a more powerful X1 for $299-350. They would lose money but gain in userbase.

There is no current AMD chip that's twice the GPU power of the PS4 (1152 SPs) so it's hard to look for PC benches searching a yes or not answer. That theoretical GPU would fall between the 380X (2048 SPs) and the 390 (2560 SPs), and there's a noticeable gap between those two cards without even counting that the PS4.5 chip would run at a lower frequency too.

I find it hard to believe, to be honest.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

As long as every upcoming game will still be playable on the normal PS4 and there won't be exclusive games for PS4K I can live with it. Don't own a 4K TV so I don't care if it is 1080p or 4K.

Dr.Vita said:

As long as every upcoming game will still be playable on the normal PS4 and there won't be exclusive games for PS4K I can live with it. Don't own a 4K TV so I don't care if it is 1080p or 4K.

I agree. I'm not a fan of this approach at, but a 2x jump in power isn't going to suddenly make the regular ps4 completely obsolete. It will still be able to play the same games, just at a lower resolution and framerate. Most generational leaps in power are in the 10x range, so I don't think we need to worry that games will suffer from the same gap in quality as the ps3 versions did against the ps4. 

I'd still prefer that none of the console manufacturers do this, and my complaints from Phil Spencer's comments about an iterative Xbox apply t this as well, but since all 3 are heavily rumored (and in the case of Sony and MS, there is a whole lot of smoke billowing out) to be headed in this direction, it seems that all we can really do is keep to the system we already have and keep buying games for it (at least that's what I'm planning to do, personally). It's disappointing, but it's not like I'm going to quit gaming because of it. 

Developers on curent gen can't make 1920x1080 60 fps games and with those rumors they make 4096 × 2160. I don't know why Sony has not talk about all those rumors that confuse ps4 buyers. Maybe all that is true for PS5. I mean who believe Sony has 2 consoles release this year? If they drop the price more on ps4, and advertise the new console like 'buy it only if you have 4k tv' that will be nice.

This is a Shame, now the Midia will Milk this Money Cow until the end, or until Sony, announce what Trully is (a PS4 Slim, without performance advandage), at E3.