By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: New PS4k/PS4.5 leak via NeoGAF - GPU twice as powerful, dev kits already in developers' hands, $399-$499

JRPGfan said:

PS4k in the area of performance, of a Nvidia Geforce 970 ?

Not bad for a 499$ console.

If you want to buy a new Geforce 970, your looking at like 330$.

A console this powerfull for 499$ is a decent price.

PS4 GPU is a HD7850 with some added Instruction Set. Two of these would be a 960, not a 970.

Not only that, but even if it was a 970, it would NOT run 4k. I have two 970's in my rig and I can't run 4k. This is how sad it is.

Also, the CPU and the memory are the big bottlenecks in this PS4. If the memory was HBM for example, the current GPU would be at least 30% faster, since it's inside an APU and it's common knowledge that APU's are bandwidth dependent.

The CPU have a nice turbo clock, but it's almost never at turbo and it's a freaking low-end mobile core. This is just sad.

for $499, it's a nice bump in performance per watt and performance overall, but it still won't be able to run native 4k games. Upscale to 4k? Maybe yes, but with 30fps lock I assume.

EDIT: This seems highly unlikely. A new console that is this much different from the original, will absolutely kill any possibility of new games be playable on both. First, the cost of making two version for the same game. One that has 4k textures and the other one who don't. Otherwise you would be downloading 100GB of 4k textures and maps that your console wouldn't even use. It's just plain stupid. Developers will have increased cost making the game compile twice with different settings. Thus making games more expensive.

Also, if there are two dev kits, this means that the developers would have to make a game twice. This is beyond insane. It would be just easier to have the normal PS4 dev kit, and the new PS4.5 run games much faster and at higher quality, just enabling the options once the software discovers what system it's running from. This could easily be the case if developers have ONE dev kit. With two, games will have to be compiled twice, and the disc will need both executables. Again, it's just plain stupid.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Twice the GPU power is not enough to run games at 4K.

Well its probably good enough to run a current 1080p/60fps PS4 game at 4k/30fps.

They really shouldnt call it the 4k in my opinion. It wont have much 4k content for gaming.

On a side note, Xbox could probably gain some ground if they also launch a more powerful X1 for $299-350. They would lose money but gain in userbase.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

twintail said:
I'll say that if something like GoW4 doesn't look amazing or run flawlessly on my original PS4, I am going to be upset.

Well the PS4 doesent have limitless power. No God of War maintained 60 fps until a remaster.

Maybe it will be 1080p and 60fps on OG PS4. While the improved specs see gains in effects, resolution, etc.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

zero129 said:
I dont know why so many people are upset about this. Its like the exact same thing i was saying in that MS thread. This gen of consoles where build for this forword compat thing. The ones who dont want to upgrade dont have to, you will still play all the same games looking the same as they would of!!.
I mean do you guys really think it would be in Sonys best interest to allow both its competition to release new versions of their consoles and Sony does nothing??.

Yes, it would be in their best interest to not split the market with different PS4s.

I still think its just going to be a PS4 with 4k Player and HDMI 2.0 for media playback only (no enhanced hardware) although this rumor seems to be heavily pushed so maybe ill be wrong idk

Around the Network

So, it's expensive and only upscales the resolution of games? Nah, for some reason I don't buy this rumor.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

They can Fuck off with this shit.

I really should not be surprised by the negative backlash it's getting by console purists. I am, but I shouldn't be.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I really should not be surprised by the negative backlash it's getting by console purists. I am, but I shouldn't be.

I am a console and handheld purist, and I think this is the best thing to to consoles in many generations. I wish they would have done this when Cell went from 90nm to 65nm, and again from 65nm to 40nm. The same thing should have happened on the Vita as well. In fact the Vita would most likely be flying off shelves if they had done this, and added phone and texting to it.

I don't know who these people are that think this is bad. I mean, yeah, if this was PS5, then that would be some major BS. But, it's not, it's just a premium upgrade of the current PS4, and all games will work on all PS4's, so there is absolutely no reason to be upset over this, it changes nothing for those that already have a PS4, and offers a better experince for those that want it.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

No wonder these rumors keep coming, 12 pages again already!

I don't believe it.
Launch standalone PSVR, but if you want to actually enjoy these games you need another 499 ps4.5 too!
Twice the GPU power isn't magically going to increase games from 30fps to 60fps or from 1080p to 1440p with better textures. They forgot to add the required extra memory and memory bandwidth in the leak.

It will be extra work for developers for zero gain, one, the other, or neither version will be optimal.