By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: New PS4k/PS4.5 leak via NeoGAF - GPU twice as powerful, dev kits already in developers' hands, $399-$499

Teeqoz said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Using a socket for a few CPU's isn't something Intel created. Nearly all embedded CPU's re-use sockets for a while. It's just as easy to upgrade an ARM, MIPS and POWER machine as it is x86.

I didn't literally mean easy to upgrade the hardware, I mean terms of how doable it would be without messing up already developped games. But as I stated, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Normally that isn't a problem. All mainstream processor architectures are backwards compatible with older instruction sets.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:

PC gaming is a much different beast than console gaming though. On console everything just works. Every game is built to work in the framework of PSN or XBL. Everything on the consoles in unified, simple, and easy to understand. The process for updates in every aspect is miles easier than on PC.

Sure, on consoles "everything just works" all the time... unless it doesn't. Almost every game released has flaws that need to be patched later. It takes years until new consoles have all the promised features or all the popular features their predecessors had. Even gamepads have to be patched nowadays on consoles. If the PSN or XBL are down, you can forget online gaming or most other online activities. If f.e. Steam is down on PC, I can still play games online that use other services (Battle.net, Origin, Uplay) and all other non-gaming online features still work.

KBG29 said:

The PC market is a complete mess right now. Steam brought things together for a few years,  but then other publishers saw what they were doing and decided that they should just do it for themselves. Now you have acoounts galore on PC, and every publishers has its own exclusive store.

I still don't see the big problems with several digital stores instead of one on PC. It can have advantages (see above), there is a healthy competition between these stores which keeps the PC game prices down and offers great deals (and even free games like EA's "on the house" program). Even IF you let run ALL popular game launchers (Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net and GOG Galaxy) run at the same time, they only need a fraction of your processing power and RAM, their space requirement on the HDD is even more neglible.

And they don't have to run all the time: if you don't need some of the game launchers for a while, just close them (or even disable the auto-start). The only game launcher in my auto-start is Steam, the other ones I only start if I want to play a EA, Ubisoft or Blizzard game or a GOG-classic.

KBG29 said:

Along with those stores are propiatory network features and applications that have to be up to date to run their games. This means constant updates, and constant road blocks to playing. This experience is fine for people that put gaming first, but it does not work for those that just want the best expereince, and want it ready to go the handful of times they sit down and play each month. 

These "constant updates" aren't a big hassle. Almost every game launcher has auto-updates for itself and for its installed games, just like modern home consoles. Windows, Nvidia and AMD also have autopatches. Most of these updates work perfectly fine in the background and don't block the whole system like firmware-updates on home consoles or game-pudates on 7th gen consoles (it got a lot better with 8th gen consoles). "The best experience" is totally subjective.

KBG29 said:

This is why this business model of scaleable consoles is going to take over. They are very cheap, very quite, very powerful, and very simple, and they are quickly moving to offering everything that PC does.

They are cheap compared to a PC with the same performance. Very quite? My PC is a lot quiter than my PS4, PS3 and Xbox 360. Thanks to SSDs a cold boot on PC takes about the same time as a cold boot of one of the 8th gen consoles. Waking the PC up from standby is even faster than on consoles. 

Very powerful? Compared to what? Very simple? They get complexer every generation while PC maintenace and access got a lot simpler over the last decades... now the "console experience" and the "PC experience" has more similarities than ever before. And consoles will never be able to do everything "that PC does."

Will I be able to burn a CD/DVD/Blu-ray on a PS5? Can I connect a scanner to scan some family photos? Probably not.

If there planning on selling a console twice the power of the current PS4 then expect exclusive PS4.5k games. That's a slap in the face for previous adopters if that's true. Also double the PS4 power is still far off from running games in 4k. Upscaling games to 4k is not worth the investment for a whole new console. Sony should just wait until 4k is affordable before they dip into 4k gaming.

I am sure there are some gamers who would buy into this but there are 40m+ PS4 owners right now that aren't.

Just remember that even if the rumor is true, 2x power =/= 2x performance.

twintail said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well the PS4 doesent have limitless power. No God of War maintained 60 fps until a remaster.

Maybe it will be 1080p and 60fps on OG PS4. While the improved specs see gains in effects, resolution, etc.

But they dont suffer from eratic change in frame rate either. They feel smooth to play almost 100% of the time. Which is what I want . 

Well I actually replayed GoWIII pretty recently and the frame rate is eratic, now that we've become a more savvy about frame rates its more apparent.

I bet its worse than you remember, so what this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHr0Se-cto

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

What's really disturbing or a mystery to me is why Sony hasn't gotten out in front of this rumor.
Whatever the announcement is, they really need to be in control of their own beast instead of the rampant rumor mill of negative information spewing out of anonymous Internet leakers lately.

Which to me looks more like social media sabotage, than real info.

The constant posts about the ps4 not being powerful enough to run psvr. I mean Sony has showcased to the public, in plain view, at a ton of trade shows, ACTUAL PS4's running RIGS, Eve, and a ton of other titles quite capably. And pretty much 90% of users take the helmet off with a massive smile on their faces, you see them ducking, and being ACTUALLY scared of on screen characters , and this is on the ps4 headset.

There's no trickery here guys, the ps4 has an actual working VR headset coming out this year, it's real, it works and your gonna be wow'd when you realize your INSIDE a 3D stereoscopic gameworld.

Mar1217 said:
Sorry people, but the ''PS4K'' would be straight up a PS5 if it was to be that much more powerful to able to run 4k games.

And I don't believe at all those rumours. In the best case, it's going to be able to run 4k blu-ray video/movie,in the worst case, it's just going to be a PS4 slim.

Prepare to be deceived folks

We need to wait until E3, and isn't too far away, just 2 Months until E3.

Swordmasterman said:
Mar1217 said:
Sorry people, but the ''PS4K'' would be straight up a PS5 if it was to be that much more powerful to able to run 4k games.

And I don't believe at all those rumours. In the best case, it's going to be able to run 4k blu-ray video/movie,in the worst case, it's just going to be a PS4 slim.

Prepare to be deceived folks

2 months is a long time to let this rumor stink in the corner.

ZahaDoom said:
Swordmasterman said:

2 months is a long time to let this rumor stink in the corner.

Even the Wall Street, is supporting those rumors, i don't know why so much people are spreading this rumor.