By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Reviews - 31% RT

Just saw it. The action was pretty good, but the story was all over the place and it took forever to get going. It was OK at best, but a disappointment overall.

Wait till it is available for a cheap rental, you won't be missing out.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Just saw it. The action was pretty good, but the story was all over the place and it took forever to get going. It was OK at best, but a disappointment overall.

Wait till it is available for a cheap rental, you won't be missing out.

Ya, I really get that feeling from the trailers, from what it seems is they had too many cooks. Wonder if this movie will reach a billion, right now I don't think the second or third week of this movie will be great, since that is when word of mouth seems to take place, given foreign markets can elevate a movie to a billion if well marketed.  Wonder how crazy this movie would have done if this was great movie, might actually rival Jurassic World of last year. 

I found it to be OK. For most of the movie it was floating around a 2/5 type of thing, but by the end I'd push it up to 3/5.

The first half of the movie is slow and there's too many pointless plot points (ie: Lois Lane is basically shoe horned into this movie). The second half of the movie is better though they are trying so damn hard to also shove in other characters that really don't need to be in the film. 

I wasn't crazy about the Lex Luthor character and Batman is basically just a flat out murderer in this film ... I mean I guess some people will think that's "cool", but to me it's not in keeping with the character, and all the use of Batman and guns ... is this supposed to be Batman or Rambo?

But there's enough cool moments throughout the movie to make it worth watching. It is pretty joyless though, if you thought Nolan's Batman films were too dark/sterile ... this is even worse, there's maybe one laugh in the entire movie.

Lawlight said:
oniyide said:

ironically thats what people have been saying about BvS what makes them wrong about that? and you right about TFA?

The plot and characters are solid in BvS, no major plot errors and character motivations are plausible. Unlike TFA. The BvS issues could easily be fixed in the director's cut. You can't fix dumb though - which is what TFA is.

spoiler alert

what was Lex's motivation? he hates Superman just to hate superman? then make a monster that could destroy the world? how is that plausible? how does that make sense? Batman supposed to be the World's greatest detective and couldnt figure out Lex was pulling the strings, how is that plausible?

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:

The plot and characters are solid in BvS, no major plot errors and character motivations are plausible. Unlike TFA. The BvS issues could easily be fixed in the director's cut. You can't fix dumb though - which is what TFA is.

I'd have to disagree with you there. They never built a solid reason to Superman to fight Batman. The frame work was their but they dropped the ball. A small example of this is the scene in which Batman is chasing a group of criminals with the kryptonite meteor. Superman shows up, stops Batman, confronts him and lets the criminals get away. WTF was that.

Lex Luthor's plot line is a complete cluster fuck. Particularly his interactions with the Kryptonian ship. That whole part of the movie is plot hole city. Based on what we saw in the Man of Steel. The ship would have killed him. One of the security robots, just like the one that nearly killed Lois in MoS, was right there and did nothing. And no, him using Zods fingerprints to get into the ship wouldn't have deactivated the robot. Clark enters the ship in MoS. Lois follows him. When the realizes that she isn't Kryptonian, the robot tries to kill her. The same thing should have happened to Lex. Setting aside the nonsensical way in which Doomsday was created. Lex Luthor who is supposed to be a damned genius. Creates Doomsday and unleashes him when he has zero control over him. The only reason Lex isn't dead is because Superman stopped Doomsday from splattering him all over the inside of he ship. The more I think about this movie. the less I like it. 

pretty much this, the more you think about it, the less sense it makes. Either people arent thinking about it (which is fine), they dont care (which is fine), or just not smart (fine too). But dont blatantly lie about it (not fine)

Around the Network
tiffac said:
Lawlight said:

I am actually looking forward to the Directors Cut of this movie. In all honesty this should have been a 2 part movie.

hell it should've been 3 parts, there are like 3 different movies here and each one could have been fine. Snyder clearly wanted to make a Dark Knight Returns movie

The should have just cut the Lois Lane plot line, and the whole Lex Luthor + US senator stuff was boring as hell.

Also the gratuitous "hey lets stop the movie so we see other Justice League characters not relevant to the plot at all" scene was lame too. I get that they are trying to ape Marvel, but the one smart thing Marvel does is it usually leaves this kind of thing for the post-credits scene. Also I don't know what was supposed to be happening in the Aquaman scene but it seemed really goofy.

Also yeah the reasoning to get Superman to fight Batman was convulted and stupid, just make Batman take the fight to Superman .... simple. 

There is some good stuff in the movie, the "Superman as God" had some cool iconography to it, the Batman rescue fight scene was well done (though would a wide angle kill you?), some of the Batman/Superman stuff was neat, Doomsday surprinsingly was OK. 

Needed a little more humor or at least more of a moral compass for the characters. Batman is just a murdering psychopath in this movie. 

I think the movie was fine. It's pacing was a bit off in the beginning but things got really good in the second half. To mix Superman's mixed perceptions from the public with Batman's introduction kinda threw me off. The story was not perfect as the transitions from one moment to another didn't go smoothly. I also agree some plot points from Man of Steel and for the upcoming Justice League are shoe horned in instead of being there naturally.

Jesse as Lex didn't really bother me in all honesty. Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne was pretty darn good. After years of having Bale speaking like he's choking under the mask as Batman, I like the new Bats. Sure he's uses a little more firearms than I expected but his fights and his interactions with others are solid. Gadot as Wonder Woman is good albeit in such a short amount of time. Although she may not be an intimidating presence, she got her parts right and showed that Wonder Woman is sophisticated, beautiful, fearless, and eager for battle. Henry as Sups, my favorite hero of all time, is solid, though I agree he was a bit wooden in the beginning. I like that he has learned his lessons from his first fight ever in Man of Steel and he tries to harness his powers better, though it may not always work. It's clear we're not dealing with the characters that got ripped straight from the comics. They're loosely based on the comics and given their own set of elements unique for the films.

The action is really great and I got chills seeing the Trinity together for the first time on the big screen. So overall, the film is not perfect, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it. 7/10 from me.

Darc Requiem said:
Lawlight said:

I'd have to disagree with you there. They never built a solid reason to Superman to fight Batman. The frame work was their but they dropped the ball. A small example of this is the scene in which Batman is chasing a group of criminals with the kryptonite meteor. Superman shows up, stops Batman, confronts him and lets the criminals get away. WTF was that.

Lex Luthor's plot line is a complete cluster fuck. Particularly his interactions with the Kryptonian ship. That whole part of the movie is plot hole city. Based on what we saw in the Man of Steel. The ship would have killed him. One of the security robots, just like the one that nearly killed Lois in MoS, was right there and did nothing. And no, him using Zods fingerprints to get into the ship wouldn't have deactivated the robot. Clark enters the ship in MoS. Lois follows him. When the realizes that she isn't Kryptonian, the robot tries to kill her. The same thing should have happened to Lex. Setting aside the nonsensical way in which Doomsday was created. Lex Luthor who is supposed to be a damned genius. Creates Doomsday and unleashes him when he has zero control over him. The only reason Lex isn't dead is because Superman stopped Doomsday from splattering him all over the inside of he ship. The more I think about this movie. the less I like it. 

They actually give you the perfect reason why Superman would fight Batman - Luthor had his mother as a hostage and Superman says to Lois that he either will come back with help or with Batman's head.

And you're confusing the airship in the Artic - the one that had the codex. This one is Zodd's but that doesn't mean that it's the same robot as the one in the Artic.

Also, Luthor clearly didn't expect Doomsday to be so out of control with the "blood of my blood" line but, more so, I think all he wanted was to take down Superman.

Soundwave said:

The should have just cut the Lois Lane plot line, and the whole Lex Luthor + US senator stuff was boring as hell.

Also the gratuitous "hey lets stop the movie so we see other Justice League characters not relevant to the plot at all" scene was lame too. I get that they are trying to ape Marvel, but the one smart thing Marvel does is it usually leaves this kind of thing for the post-credits scene. Also I don't know what was supposed to be happening in the Aquaman scene but it seemed really goofy.

Also yeah the reasoning to get Superman to fight Batman was convulted and stupid, just make Batman take the fight to Superman .... simple. 

There is some good stuff in the movie, the "Superman as God" had some cool iconography to it, the Batman rescue fight scene was well done (though would a wide angle kill you?), some of the Batman/Superman stuff was neat, Doomsday surprinsingly was OK. 

Needed a little more humor or at least more of a moral compass for the characters. Batman is just a murdering psychopath in this movie. 

Why was showing the other meta humans lame? You didn't explain that.

The reasoning was perfect. Why would they give only one of them reason to fight? If they did, Superman would just fly away and not fight.