By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Reviews - 31% RT

serious question, if plot isnt the MOST important part of a film then what is? If the story doesnt make sense then whats the point? action i guess.

Around the Network

can someone give me a list of these good Zack Snyder movies? cause i lost all faith after Sucker Punch

oniyide said:
JWeinCom said:

I think the problem with Doom is there are just some characters that don't translate well between mediums.  For example, a guy who literally has Doom in his name trying to go around as a legitimate ruler... Eh... it comes off as weird.

If they wanted to actually do a good job with Dr. Doom, they can't do it in a Fantastic Four movie.  They'd have to do a seperate Doom Origin film (along the lines of Books of Doom) and then bring him into the sequel once he's been established.

its funny cause i was thinking the same thing. It can be done, weirder concepts have worked. But the people doing it HAVE TO GIVE A DAMN and IMHO im just not getting that feeling with the DC at least not the movie division.

If it were up to me there would be a Doom film like Books of Doom, great read. that could lead into a Fantastic Four movie which could lead to a Future Foundation fllm, good trilogy right there. One can dream

I think it'd be better to have a Fantastic Four movie, with the idea of this weird European monarchy in the background, and some hints that Reed and this Doom guy have a history.  Then a Doom movie, then Fantastic Four.  I dunno about Future Foundation.  I really enjoy Hickman's work, but his stories are drawn out over months or years... it'd be hard to adapt.

As for Luthor, I think the problem is that they don't have a Superman that really is set up to go against him.  Lex is sort of like a mix between the Joker and the Kingpin in a sense..  Superman can literally crush him in an instant if he so desired, but to destroy him, he would have to go against his own personal code of ethics, and also kill a US citizen who is massively weaker than him (which is a bit different from killing another god like being like Zod).  He's like a douchey little kid, and you want to wring his neck, but you can't.  Unless you've really established Superman and his morals, it's hard to have Luthor work.

oniyide said:
serious question, if plot isnt the MOST important part of a film then what is? If the story doesnt make sense then whats the point? action i guess.

It varies and depends on the film itself.  Some films are technically (as in cinematography) wonderful, but bare bones in other ways.  Some have great characters through a simple story.  Others have amazing worlds, and others raise large questions to make you think or feel.

If a work is strong enough in a single aspect I am willing to forgive weaknesses in others. 

We all see a work through our own eyes with our own preferences and values so I think often these debates devolve into relativism.

Darc Requiem said:
I saw it last night. The movie is mediocre. It had some strong points. Affleck and Irons were great for example. Cavill and Adams were good as well. However, Jessie Eisenberg was awful. Lex Luthor is the Dr. Doom of DC live action media. What do I mean by that? Like Dr. Doom he is a great comic book character that gets criminally mishandled. Not going play spoiler, but their something about Batman that has nothing to do with Affleck that REALLY bothered me.

Eisenberg did a great job. If you didn't like the character they were trying to portray, that's not on Jesse. Jesse played his character quite well.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

Maybe hollywood will be forced to rely on something other than comic book superhero movies.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Darc Requiem said:
I saw it last night. The movie is mediocre. It had some strong points. Affleck and Irons were great for example. Cavill and Adams were good as well. However, Jessie Eisenberg was awful. Lex Luthor is the Dr. Doom of DC live action media. What do I mean by that? Like Dr. Doom he is a great comic book character that gets criminally mishandled. Not going play spoiler, but their something about Batman that has nothing to do with Affleck that REALLY bothered me.

Eisenberg did a great job. If you didn't like the character they were trying to portray, that's not on Jesse. Jesse played his character quite well.

I didn't like the character he was portraying nor his performance. I have a major issue with elements of Batman's character but Affleck gave great performance. Eisenberg performance took me out of the film. He was annoying at his best and insufferable at his worst.

This movie sure as hell doesn't deserve that low 31% on RT.

Sure it wasn't the "best" super hero movie but sure as hell isn't the worst.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Lawlight said:
Darashiva said:
Honestly, as long as Zack Snyder is directing these films, I won't expect much from any of them. He's done some good films in the past, but those days seem to be long gone. I haven't seen this film yet, so I'll reserve judgement for now, although every single reviewer I usually tend to agree with has called the film mediocre at best.

Did those critics give The Phantom Menace and Indiana Jones 4 a thumbs up?

Why would they? You do realize that just because you like the movie, doesn't mean everyone else has to. It doesn't make either opinion right or wrong. I haven't really liked any Zack Snyder film since The Watchmen. Everything else after that has been disappointing or just bad, so my expectations for this film were never very high. I haven't seen Dawn of Justice yet, so I can't say anything about it. It just doesn't look very good at this point. From what I hear there are some good parts, but there's just too many problems to make it overall good. 

sethnintendo said:
Maybe hollywood will be forced to rely on something other than comic book superhero movies.

not for while