By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

This is a whole mess. Microsoft sends all kinds of contradicting signs.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Hmm...

I think whats going on is PC gamers are frustrated with the way MS has handled PC games and rightfully so.

There is a large segment of PC gamers that dont buy or play much on consoles. There are PC gamers that want MS content and continued support. They dont want the Windows Store to be another GFW.

Phil is trying to appease the hardcore PC audience. Its a weird situation Sony and Nintendo arent in.

Why does Phil have to appease PC gamers ? What does Xbox have to do with PC gaming ? 

It's actions like these why less people buy Xbox compared to Playstation cause of not giving PC gamers incentives to buy Xbox ...

I know a few PC gamers who own an Xbox and they aren't exactly the most content compared to last generation since Phil Spencer and Microsoft wants to play second fiddle so much ... 

Why aren't they buying Activision, EA, Ubisoft, or even Japanese publishers ?! 

Of course it’s ok not to buy an Xbox. The Xbox console is there for convenience, there clearly not focusing about selling the most consoles in a generation, they seem to be caring on the more important factors and that's building the Xbox brand into something even bigger then it is now.

The only ones who are hating on this are those that care for console sales and wars. What would fanboys talk about now that Xbox isn't going to be in there arguments anymore? They’re going to be force to talk about the games quality now because that's all there going to have. Xbox games vs PS games. The way it should be. Not “This console sold 1.5m this month compared to your console that sold 560k on NPD”. And “woah 1080p>900p, I see a major difference and I can’t play anything under 1080p because it hurts my eyes”. I always questioned how those gamers played games last gen lol. Hopefully we will be comparing game stories and gameplay elements that actually matter now that XB1 is becoming more a choice then a must.

MS are turning the gaming industry in what it used to be. About the quality of the games. By removing this console war garbage we have today which tends to only talk about visuals and sales. Once all this is in place, we are going to be talking more about the games again. (Yes there were always console wars, my favourite was the Genesis vs SNES era. Compared to today that war was sensible.)

fatslob-:O said:

Why does Phil have to appease PC gamers ? What does Xbox have to do with PC gaming ? 

It's actions like these why less people buy Xbox compared to Playstation cause of not giving PC gamers incentives to buy Xbox ...

I know a few PC gamers who own an Xbox and they aren't exactly the most content compared to last generation since Phil Spencer and Microsoft wants to play second fiddle so much ... 

Why aren't they buying Activision, EA, Ubisoft, or even Japanese publishers ?! 

Because MS wants to be relevant in PC gaming but never supported it properly. Avid PC gamers believe MS is simply giving them some games and will stop support. Look at Halo, Gears and Fable. PC gamers never got the entire series of any of those. They got a taste and were forced to buy a Xbox for more.

If I was going to make a list of why people buy Playstation over Xbox, this PC thing ranks very low on the list.

Why aren't they buying Actvision, EA, Ubisoft, or Japanese publishers? I'm not sure if I understand the question.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's getting darker... Real darker...

Around the Network

"I think there's something very unique about playing console games on my television," he said, "10 feet away, with a controller in my hand, you and I sitting next to each other, either playing against each other or playing with each other — that is different from playing on my PC gaming rig sitting from 2 feet away playing with a keyboard and mouse or even a controller," he said.

I thought I play many PC games 10 feet away with a controller, apperently I was wrong.  Who knew? 

Thanks Phil.

Azzanation said:

Of course it’s ok not to buy an Xbox. The Xbox console is there for convenience, there clearly not focusing about selling the most consoles in a generation, they seem to be caring on the more important factors and that's building the Xbox brand into something even bigger then it is now.

The only ones who are hating on this are those that care for console sales and wars. What would fanboys talk about now that Xbox isn't going to be in there arguments anymore? They’re going to be force to talk about the games quality now because that's all there going to have. Xbox games vs PS games. The way it should be. Not “This console sold 1.5m this month compared to your console that sold 560k on NPD”. And “woah 1080p>900p, I see a major difference and I can’t play anything under 1080p because it hurts my eyes”. I always questioned how those gamers played games last gen lol. Hopefully we will be comparing game stories and gameplay elements that actually matter now that XB1 is becoming more a choice then a must.

MS are turning the gaming industry in what it used to be. About the quality of the games. By removing this console war garbage we have today which tends to only talk about visuals and sales. Once all this is in place, we are going to be talking more about the games again. (Yes there were always console wars, my favourite was the Genesis vs SNES era. Compared to today that war was sensible.)

What do console wars have to do with anything?
Of course gamers want a successful console as that means better support, more care given to the version of the games that runs on that console. That's simple fact. You can already buy a convenient Steam box, yet that's not what console gamers want. With exclusives going multi platform some of that quality and care for the console version may be lost. With the closing down of less succesful studios some variety may be lost, and thus some of the identity of the console.

MS is not turning the gaming industry in what it used to be. Their trying a new walled garden with the windows 10 store. How it used to be was MS flight sim, Age of Empires, Asheron's call, Dungeon Siege, Crimson skies, Rallisport challenge, etc on any version of Windows and some on Mac.

They're not trying to build the XBox brand, they're trying to build the Windows 10 store. XBox brand and console play second fiddle to that from now on. They're retreating from the console war to step right into the online store war.

It's OK if PC gamers don't want an XBox one, it's not OK if they don't want Windows 10. That's the new message.

Mr Puggsly said:

Because MS wants to be relevant in PC gaming but never supported it properly. Avid PC gamers believe MS is simply giving them some games and will stop support. Look at Halo, Gears and Fable. PC gamers never got the entire series of any of those. They got a taste and were forced to buy a Xbox for more.

If I was going to make a list of why people buy Playstation over Xbox, this PC thing ranks very low on the list.

Why aren't they buying Actvision, EA, Ubisoft, or Japanese publishers? I'm not sure if I understand the question.

Microsoft is ALREADY relevant in PC gaming since every PC developer uses the DirectX standard so what do they have to fear about losing PC gamers ? 

Not making PC gamers buy an Xbox is just a lost opportunity for Microsoft in the end ... 

@Bold If Microsoft wants to win they need to lure gamers all around so why aren't they buying these publishers ? 

Xbox keeps looking unattractive and more so after what just happened recently. Phil Spencer's leadership or lack thereof will be what drives Xbox into irrelevancy ... 

Protendo said:

"I think there's something very unique about playing console games on my television," he said, "10 feet away, with a controller in my hand, you and I sitting next to each other, either playing against each other or playing with each other — that is different from playing on my PC gaming rig sitting from 2 feet away playing with a keyboard and mouse or even a controller," he said.

I thought I play many PC games 10 feet away with a controller, apperently I was wrong.  Who knew? 

Thanks Phil.

LOL, I play PC games on a TV in my den. Sounds like Phil has a lot of catching up to do with how versatile PCs actually are.-

If MS wants PC gamers why not just offer a better service?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank