By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

Moving some Xbone games to PC doesn't "devalue" the Xbox brand. Hell, it should bring in even more revenue since you have a whole new crowd of people to sell software to and get on your service. It's as silly as saying Sony has a console and a handheld, the handheld must be devaluing the console. Of course, it doesn't.

"console gamers want the console to keep its exclusives" ... why? I already own an Xbone, why do I give a shit if its exclusives go to another Microsoft platform? Or any platform in general? Are the games better if they are exclusive? It doesn't make an ounce of difference. It's nothing more than console warz. So apparently there are legions of gamers who were right on the fence of buying an Xbone but now are scurrying away to their gaming rigs to buy the same games there.. how is this bad for MS? How is it bad for someone who owns an Xbox One? How is it bad for someone who owns a PC capable of playing the games? Seems win for MS, win for PC gamers, and nothing changes for Xbone gamers.

Around the Network

Microsoft risks becoming a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

Mr Puggsly said:
fatslob-:O said:

So put every Xbox title on PC then ? 

Which one is it ? 

I think bringing every X1 games to PC would say, "we don't care what machine you use, but we want you using X1 or Windows 10."

Personally, I'm fine with that. X1 games wouldn't be less enjoyable because WIndows 10 users have access to them.

Quantum Break on X1 isn't gonna lose signficant number of sales being on PC. The reality is more people will play it because its on both platforms.

Quantum Break isn't gonna have a lot of sell to lose anyway. It looks so damn dry.

This is why I have a remote connection between my PC and my TV. Should the mood take me, I can just grab my controller and take it into my lounge room;D
If I were MS, I'd look to make that process far more painless for PC gamers.

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

Fixed. This is easily what it could become or what they're working towards. Wins 10 store absorbs xbox brand and just sells the games as win 10 games. 

No because Xbox still has a place in the living room. There selling more games which will lead to bigger and better investments for the next console and store updates. Remember a console is aimed for the casuals. a PC isnt. Though casuals still game on PCs, not many of them will plug there PCs in the living room to play Xbox games. In fact i know no one that does that. Not even me and im huge on PC gaming.

Xbox is MS's gaming devision. So where ever XBox games sell, will increase MS profit. Xbox is not a side line company that you think it is. Its a devision created on the insides of Microsoft. 

Steam Account - Azzanation

I'm perfectly aware that the xbox is a division but like any other division, it can be restructured into another part of the company or broken apart. Xbox one likely peaked last year and if that's the case then it's sales will fall below the xbox 360. 

Since you brought up the console/casuals versus pc/hardcore discussion. You have that backwards. Considering that alot of people own a pc, it's easier to paint pc as the casual's device since everyone pratically owns one or more of 'em and it's a true multimedia device. Consoles are a dedicated gaming device and tailor to only gamers. The vast majority of PC users play browser games or solitaire. *shrugs

Edited to correct some mistakes. BTW, why did you put  "Steam Account - Azzanation" at the end there?

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Consumers don't have to buy an expensive PC, they can always opt in for lower settings ...  

Even lower end gaming PCs are more expensive than 8th gen consoles. There is a reason Sony and MS don't mind sharing games with PC, its a different audience.

MS and Sony are cautious about sharing all their games with PC. But MS has the biggest incentive to put games X1 games on Windows 10.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

No because Xbox still has a place in the living room. There selling more games which will lead to bigger and better investments for the next console and store updates. Remember a console is aimed for the casuals. a PC isnt. Though casuals still game on PCs, not many of them will plug there PCs in the living room to play Xbox games. In fact i know no one that does that. Not even me and im huge on PC gaming.

Xbox is MS's gaming devision. So where ever XBox games sell, will increase MS profit. Xbox is not a side line company that you think it is. Its a devision created on the insides of Microsoft. 

Steam Account - Azzanation

I'm perfectly aware that the xbox is a division but like any other division, it can be restructured into another part of the company or broken apart. Xbox one likely peaked last year and if that's the case then it's sales will fall below the xbox 360. 

Since you brought up the console/casuals versus pc/hardcore discussion. You have that backwards. Considering that alot of people own a pc, it's easier to paint pc as the casual's device since everyone pratically owns one or more of 'em and it's a true multimedia device. Consoles are a dedicated gaming device and tailor to only gamers. The vast majority of PC users play browser games or solitaire. *shrugs

Edited to correct some mistakes. BTW, why did you put  "Steam Account - Azzanation" at the end there?

My Steam account is there to prove i am a PC gamer from top to bottom and even i find a need for an Xbox. I have a library of over 1000 games on Steam alone yet i will always buy a Xbox so i can game in my living room. You might not need one, nor does the next person but theres a market for it. Xbox wont be absorb into PC gaming, because then what does MS have to compete in the living room?

More gamers game on PC thats a fact, but what teenager do you know has there tower plugged in there main TV in there house? 

Comes down to not everyone wil buy an XB1 this generation, so WIndows 10 store will cover the grounds.

CosmicSex said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think bringing every X1 games to PC would say, "we don't care what machine you use, but we want you using X1 or Windows 10."

Personally, I'm fine with that. X1 games wouldn't be less enjoyable because WIndows 10 users have access to them.

Quantum Break on X1 isn't gonna lose signficant number of sales being on PC. The reality is more people will play it because its on both platforms.

Quantum Break isn't gonna have a lot of sell to lose anyway. It looks so damn dry.

Some gameplay footage has looked good, some looked average. At the very least I can say the game has my attention and there is a lack of interesting games right now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LudicrousSpeed said:
Moving some Xbone games to PC doesn't "devalue" the Xbox brand. Hell, it should bring in even more revenue since you have a whole new crowd of people to sell software to and get on your service. It's as silly as saying Sony has a console and a handheld, the handheld must be devaluing the console. Of course, it doesn't.

"console gamers want the console to keep its exclusives" ... why? I already own an Xbone, why do I give a shit if its exclusives go to another Microsoft platform? Or any platform in general? Are the games better if they are exclusive? It doesn't make an ounce of difference. It's nothing more than console warz. So apparently there are legions of gamers who were right on the fence of buying an Xbone but now are scurrying away to their gaming rigs to buy the same games there.. how is this bad for MS? How is it bad for someone who owns an Xbox One? How is it bad for someone who owns a PC capable of playing the games? Seems win for MS, win for PC gamers, and nothing changes for Xbone gamers.

That depends. If the game is first made specifically for one set of hardware with the couch controller experience in mind, and later ported with some alterations for other platforms, nope no problem. Yet if former exclusives become UWP apps with some middleground compromise between 2ft from monitor keyboard mouse operated to 10ft couch tv with controller, not as good. Exclusives are there to show the best a console can do, perfectly tailored to the console experience. Ofcourse that gets watered down if it has to run on different kinds of hardware. And they want to bring in tablets and phones too.

SvennoJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

That depends. If the game is first made specifically for one set of hardware with the couch controller experience in mind, and later ported with some alterations for other platforms, nope no problem. Yet if former exclusives become UWP apps with some middleground compromise between 2ft from monitor keyboard mouse operated to 10ft couch tv with controller, not as good. Exclusives are there to show the best a console can do, perfectly tailored to the console experience. Ofcourse that gets watered down if it has to run on different kinds of hardware. And they want to bring in tablets and phones too.

All games get watered downed when being developeed regardless of its platform. Games are made on high end supercomputers and then downgraded to suit the specific specs of a console. X1 games will still be developeed fopr the X1 just like PS4 games and Nintendo games on there respective hardware. Most of the time a game will get ported from the (Said) console to PC. Its very rare PC games get programed on PC first then ported to consoles. Thats because of the Deals Sony, MS and Nintendo do. Normally Blizzard games are PC deveoped and XCOM2 etc but majority of 3rd party Devlope on consoles because its easiar to lay down the foundations there then up the specs later.