By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

Jazz2K said:
endimion said:
Out of all the PC gamers that play on their TV I wonder how many actually are married or live with their girlfriend and play on their living room TVs not a second screen in a men cave... I have a shit ton of PC gamers friends and the only one doing it are single and amongst the married or in couple one even the one with gamer chicks don't have their rig hooked to the living room TV they have a computer room with each their rigs...their console on the other hand are 90% of the time hooked to the main TV... So he has a point this is by far the norm... Pretty sure he can afford better rigs and set up than all of us but also setups that are not even on the market and at the prototype stage... So stop braging about PC master race like he doesn't wtf he is talking about... If anything MS and MS R&D joined with other actors of the gaming market are the gods of that race...

That's very true though. Most people I know that game on their PCs are not gaming on the living room they mostly have a room or they just work on their work desk. People on these forum act like every PC gamers will put a computer in their living room even if they have families and so on. It's rare that PCs in families are for long gaming sessions. It's mostly a tool for the whole family or for work of one member or more. 

Anecedotal evidence is useless when we're talking about capabilty which his statement (Spencer) doesn't seem to get. Doesn't matter how many friends you have or PC gamers you know.

Fact is it is in most cases trivially easy to connect a PC to a TV and use it for gaming now a days. PC's have been supporting controllers for fuck ever, wireless keyboard and mouse even those that are designed to be used for TV. 

The amount of PC gamers who game in the living room is irrelevant.

Just because Phil Spencer said some BS about uniquness doesn't mean he's even remotely right, probably why he prefaced it with "I think", since factually its wrong.

Nobody, who simply cares about the games, on PC is going to give a shit or not whether the game they bought came from the X1. This whole transfered X1 games garbage is absurd because the second its on PC its a god damn multiplat and its not an X1 game anymore on the PC. 

Just cause MS owns Windows doesn't mean they can stumble around and decided a decade too late to try and blur* the lines for more profit. No, no. Unfortunately for them PC became a free platform when they were off fucking with MP3 players and Mobile OSes, well tbh a lot earlier than that, and nobody gives a ratass that the Prince Spencer and the Xbox team have come "home" when you've already got Steam and Gog and Origin and Uplay and w.e the fuck else.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jazz2K said:

That's very true though. Most people I know that game on their PCs are not gaming on the living room they mostly have a room or they just work on their work desk. People on these forum act like every PC gamers will put a computer in their living room even if they have families and so on. It's rare that PCs in families are for long gaming sessions. It's mostly a tool for the whole family or for work of one member or more. 

Anecedotal evidence is useless when we're talking about capabilty which his statement (Spencer) doesn't seem to get. Doesn't matter how many friends you have or PC gamers you know.

Fact is it is in most cases trivially easy to connect a PC to a TV and use it for gaming now a days. PC's have been supporting controllers for fuck ever, wireless keyboard and mouse even those that are designed to be used for TV. 

Just because Phil Spencer said some BS about uniquness doesn't mean he's even remotely right, probably why he prefaced it with "I think", since factually its wrong.

Nobody, who simply cares about the games, on PC is going to give a shit or not whether the game they bought came from the X1. This whole transfered X1 games garbage is absurd because the second its on PC its a god damn multiplat and its not an X1 game anymore on the PC. 

Just cause MS owns Windows doesn't mean they can stumble around and decided a decade too late to try and blur* the lines for more profit. No, no. Unfortunately for them PC became a free platform when they were off fucking with MP3 players and Mobile OSes, well tbh a lot earlier than that, and nobody gives a ratass that the Prince Spencer and the Xbox team have come "home" when you've already got Steam and Gog and Origin and Uplay and w.e the fuck else.

As anecdoctal as it is the same can be said about PCs being used like consoles in the living room by most PC gamers. Anecdoctal at best and from my experience people don't buy PCs solely for gaming hence why it's not on the living room. Doesn't mean it can't be done or people don't do it. It's just that it's not common from people to have a PC hooked to a tv set in the living room especially if that person has a family.

Now, are multiplats bad and unwanted games? Games like Gears or Forza are high budget games that were only available on Xbox, being also on PC doesn't make them unwanted games suddenly. I'm sure PC gamers will welcome these games once Xbox exclusives to their platform of choice. It's all about choice, if you don't like Windows Store why should you use it then? If the games you want are only on WS then maybe you might look for either an Xbox or a WS that's it.

Protendo said:
endimion said:
Out of all the PC gamers that play on their TV I wonder how many actually are married or live with their girlfriend and play on their living room TVs not a second screen in a men cave... I have a shit ton of PC gamers friends and the only one doing it are single and amongst the married or in couple one even the one with gamer chicks don't have their rig hooked to the living room TV they have a computer room with each their rigs...their console on the other hand are 90% of the time hooked to the main TV... So he has a point this is by far the norm... Pretty sure he can afford better rigs and set up than all of us but also setups that are not even on the market and at the prototype stage... So stop braging about PC master race like he doesn't wtf he is talking about... If anything MS and MS R&D joined with other actors of the gaming market are the gods of that race...

That is the stupidest stereotype I have ever seen on a gaming form, and I don't even think you believe it.

I bet my cojones on that shit with my hands up in the air... Heck I MYSELF wouldn't want a fugly gaming PC hook up to my living room TV where I have guests and even worst children around..... And K/M gaming on the couch without a board that is even more cumbersome is absolutely horrendous...

now in my men cave or when I'll have a dedicated Home theatre room why not... But anybody sane with no complete lack of class in home decorating wouldn't have a wart like that in their living room.... More so if a lady is around... Again my cojones on a plate any day on that one...

endimion said:
Protendo said:

That is the stupidest stereotype I have ever seen on a gaming form, and I don't even think you believe it.

I bet my cojones on that shit with my hands up in the air... Heck I MYSELF wouldn't want a fugly gaming PC hook up to my living room TV where I have guests and even worst children around..... And K/M gaming on the couch without a board that is even more cumbersome is absolutely horrendous...

now in my men cave or when I'll have a dedicated Home theatre room why not... But anybody sane with no complete lack of class in home decorating wouldn't have a wart like that in their living room.... More so if a lady is around... Again my cojones on a player any day on that one...

I don't even.

With things like wifi direct and Steam Link you don't even need cables....

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Jazz2K said:

No I just have steam aggregated statistics over millions of players to support my claim... Gaming in the living room is FACTUALLY NOT the norm... thread

built my first gaming PC it was still the early 90s and not even 15 yo, had my computer hook up to a TV back in the 2000s... Been using my PC as a TV tuner since the XBox 360, have had a NAS for media content streaming since before Netflix or Pandora whatever was the first music or movie streaming service was a thing.... So I'm pretty sure I know my shit when it comes to nerdism.... But since I ain't a student in a dorm, not only PC gaming lost interest for me (and yeah that's personal) but even without that I wouldn't do it...

Around the Network
Protendo said:
endimion said:

now in my men cave or when I'll have a dedicated Home theatre room why not... But anybody sane with no complete lack of class in home decorating wouldn't have a wart like that in their living room.... More so if a lady is around... Again my cojones on a player any day on that one...

I don't even.

come on... Now you at talking about gaming in WiDi with wireless K/M on a living room TV..... Ok you must love to get headshot in FPSs you must be a fun target practice... Or even platformer.... With all that aggregated lag a platformer like Mario Bros.would B easier to finish than any modern one on such a set up....

we know it's possible and you could even make your tower completely integrated as the coffee table if you do a custom built... Fact is that is not the norm

endimion said:
Protendo said:

I don't even.

come on... Now you at talking about gaming in WiDi with wireless K/M on a living room TV..... Ok you must love to get headshot in FPSs you must be a fun target practice... Or even platformer.... With all that aggregated lag a platformer like Mario Bros.would B easier to finish than any modern one on such a set up....

we know it's possible and you could even make your tower completely integrated as the coffee table if you do a custom built... Fact is that is not the norm

I'm going to assume your are being sarcastic. I have no problem with platform games, included Rayman with wifi.

Jazz2K said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

As anecdoctal as it is the same can be said about PCs being used like consoles in the living room by most PC gamers. Anecdoctal at best and from my experience people don't buy PCs solely for gaming hence why it's not on the living room. Doesn't mean it can't be done or people don't do it. It's just that it's not common from people to have a PC hooked to a tv set in the living room especially if that person has a family.

Now, are multiplats bad and unwanted games? Games like Gears or Forza are high budget games that were only available on Xbox, being also on PC doesn't make them unwanted games suddenly. I'm sure PC gamers will welcome these games once Xbox exclusives to their platform of choice. It's all about choice, if you don't like Windows Store why should you use it then? If the games you want are only on WS then maybe you might look for either an Xbox or a WS that's it.

first things first, when talking about the PC platform, lets ignore the other platforms for a sec. All this blur the lines garbage is nothing but vaccuous PR.

the "statistics"(how common it is) are irrelevant, the capability is there, its not unique, and it's not affected by the amount of people who suposedly do or do not do it. It's simply a matter of convience and preference. That's why anecedotal evidence doesn't matter. 

X1 games on PC through windows store aren't magically different from standard PC multiplats/PC Games (this UWP illusion has got to stop), obviously MS has the right to ship their games through their own storefront, but lets not pretend this has any more "benefit" to PC gamers then Uplay or Origin does, let alone Steam. Like its some kind of previlege to PC gamers. Please. Gratzi, PC players can play more games, whoop de fucking do. 

Remember we aren't talkin about any other platforms here, it isn't a choice when a game is locked to a vendor, or at least not an actual choice. It's just locked platform (console) mentality thrown on to PC ala Games For Windows Live style. How about being a better service rather than the only one(ala exclusivity)?

P.S two shitty options don't become better than 1 great option because you can choose between them, so this "At least I have choice/all about choice" mentality can be dropped.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

endimion said:

No I just have steam aggregated statistics over millions of players to support my claim... Gaming in the living room is FACTUALLY NOT the norm... thread

built my first gaming PC it was still the early 90s and not even 15 yo, had my computer hook up to a TV back in the 2000s... Been using my PC as a TV tuner since the XBox 360, have had a NAS for media content streaming since before Netflix or Pandora whatever was the first music or movie streaming service was a thing.... So I'm pretty sure I know my shit when it comes to nerdism.... But since I ain't a student in a dorm, not only PC gaming lost interest for me (and yeah that's personal) but even without that I wouldn't do it...

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

the "statistics"(how common it is) are irrelevant, the capability is there, its not unique, and it's not affected by the amount of people who suposedly do or do not do it. It's simply a matter of convience and preference. 

It takes me all of 10 seconds(because of low remote batteries) to play Sims 4 on my TV, I choose not to because I prefer my laptop screen or somebody else is watching TV. HDMI ports are standard, HDMI cords are cheap as hell, if you've bought a console in the past decade, you've got a PC controller (yes, even Wii). I may be a genius/rocket scientist, but I'm sure at least half of those millions of players can plug an HDMI cable into a port ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

If you've got a tower, you probably don't want to move that shit and playing on an OMG WOW TV is not worth the effort

Isnt Windows 10 piracy-free and a bit NSA-ism ? That's what i heard.
Just don't put it in windows 7 or lower. People are gonna pirate da heck out of it and nobody would care about the Xbox One anymore.
Oh and put it on your Window Store, not STEAM. (cuz obviously, MicroSoft is completing with VALVE Corp).
Xbox as a console, will probably die out, but as a brand, it probably will never fade, especially the controller, i mean isnt 80% of PC gamers in the U.S use XBOX controllers ? lmfao!