By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

first things first, when talking about the PC platform, lets ignore the other platforms for a sec. All this blur the lines garbage is nothing but vaccuous PR.

the "statistics"(how common it is) are irrelevant, the capability is there, its not unique, and it's not affected by the amount of people who suposedly do or do not do it. It's simply a matter of convience and preference. That's why anecedotal evidence doesn't matter. 

X1 games on PC through windows store aren't magically different from standard PC multiplats/PC Games (this UWP illusion has got to stop), obviously MS has the right to ship their games through their own storefront, but lets not pretend this has any more "benefit" to PC gamers then Uplay or Origin does, let alone Steam. Like its some kind of previlege to PC gamers. Please. Gratzi, PC players can play more games, whoop de fucking do. 

Remember we aren't talkin about any other platforms here, it isn't a choice when a game is locked to a vendor, or at least not an actual choice. It's just locked platform (console) mentality thrown on to PC ala Games For Windows Live style. How about being a better service rather than the only one(ala exclusivity)?

P.S two shitty options don't become better than 1 great option because you can choose between them, so this "At least I have choice/all about choice" mentality can be dropped.

Even if the capability is there, convenience has more weight than you would admit though. I'm sure Spencer knows a bit or two about what's possible and not possible for PC gaming. My take would be that this PR targeted those who are not in a situation where they can game or want to game in their living rooms. 

I don't understand why Xbox games through Windows Store have to be different from standard PC multiplats though. The only benefit I see is that PC gamers will now have the ability to play high budget Xbox games without buying an Xbox... if these games don't interest you then just don't buy them...

The platform we are talking about is Windows 10. Why? Because it's the OS that is shared by all of MS devices. Why is that beneficial to gamers? Because when a company makes a game for Windows 10 you would be able to play it on the device of your choice instead of buying on specific device for that one specific game. To me that's a big plus. 

You know, you don't have to install Win10 and buy your games from the Win Store. You have different options. The only reason you would have to do it is to play MS games like Gears or Forza. Other than that I don't think Bethesda or Capcom will suddenly put their games only on Win Store, you will still be able to buy them through Steam or whatever console you choose that supports their games. 

Around the Network
peterdavid12345 said:

Xbox as a console, will probably die out, but as a brand, it probably will never fade, especially the controller, i mean isnt 80% of PC gamers in the U.S use XBOX controllers ? lmfao!

It would be more like 80% of controllers would be Xbox controllers, not 80% of PC's using an Xbox controller to game with. :P
Logitech has sort of fallen into obscurity in recent years... The reason why the Xbox controllers are prefferred and more popular is because of their build quality, ease of installation and price.

You have more/better expensive controllers than the Xbox controls on PC, but they are just that... More expensive, especially from the likes of Steel Series or Tt eSPORTS and Razer.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
peterdavid12345 said:

Xbox as a console, will probably die out, but as a brand, it probably will never fade, especially the controller, i mean isnt 80% of PC gamers in the U.S use XBOX controllers ? lmfao!

It would be more like 80% of controllers would be Xbox controllers, not 80% of PC's using an Xbox controller to game with. :P
Logitech has sort of fallen into obscurity in recent years... The reason why the Xbox controllers are prefferred and more popular is because of their build quality, ease of installation and price.

You have more/better expensive controllers than the Xbox controls on PC, but they are just that... More expensive, especially from the likes of Steel Series or Tt eSPORTS and Razer.

Among all controllers, the Xbox controller also has a very coveted advantage... it's form factor is very comfortable and even Sony and Nintendo have acknowledged this (they have Xbox controllers for the PS4 and Wii U)... 

AsGryffynn said:

Among all controllers, the Xbox controller also has a very coveted advantage... it's form factor is very comfortable and even Sony and Nintendo have acknowledged this (they have Xbox controllers for the PS4 and Wii U)... 

Yeah the Xbox controller is def the favorite one out of all. Even i admit the xbox 360 ( the standard white one ) looks cool the most!

fatslob-:O said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Because MS wants to be relevant in PC gaming but never supported it properly. Avid PC gamers believe MS is simply giving them some games and will stop support. Look at Halo, Gears and Fable. PC gamers never got the entire series of any of those. They got a taste and were forced to buy a Xbox for more.

If I was going to make a list of why people buy Playstation over Xbox, this PC thing ranks very low on the list.

Why aren't they buying Actvision, EA, Ubisoft, or Japanese publishers? I'm not sure if I understand the question.

Microsoft is ALREADY relevant in PC gaming since every PC developer uses the DirectX standard so what do they have to fear about losing PC gamers ? 

Not making PC gamers buy an Xbox is just a lost opportunity for Microsoft in the end ... 

@Bold If Microsoft wants to win they need to lure gamers all around so why aren't they buying these publishers ? 

Xbox keeps looking unattractive and more so after what just happened recently. Phil Spencer's leadership or lack thereof will be what drives Xbox into irrelevancy ... 

Shouldn't they be buying developers, not publishers? Especially when you list successful publishers that aren't for sale.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

If MS wants PC gamers why not just offer a better service?

Its bizzare when you think about it.

MS could create something at par with Steam's service with a fraction of the m oney they've put into Xbox.

i think they are afraid to go up against Steam

CosmicSex said:
Microsoft risks becoming a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

thats kinda like the PS brand in a nutshell and its been working out for them

oniyide said:
CosmicSex said:
Microsoft risks becoming a Jack of all trades and a master of none.

Not sure how Sony came into this but I was refering to them being involved in PC, table, mobile, console.... 

CosmicSex said:
oniyide said:

Not sure how Sony came into this but I was refering to them being involved in PC, table, mobile, console.... 

They exist. They are called conglomerates, SAS, public limited companies, SA, Zaibatsu, Chaebol... Pick your favorite... 

spemanig said:
Wait, are these games cross buy? Are they cross save? Because I think that's pretty stupid if they aren't. They are most definitely disconnected islands without anything to connect them. The PS4 isn't "connected" to the XBO just because they both run Destiny. Shared software has nothing to do with a shared platform.

I'm hoping someone will come and tell me I'm wrong.

Quantum break is cross buy if you pre order it. Would be incredibly stupid not to have cross save etc.

I think they're actually going towards PC an xb1 being the danger platform.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.