By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: It's OK If PC Gamers Don't Want An Xbox One

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

I'm perfectly aware that the xbox is a division but like any other division, it can be restructured into another part of the company or broken apart. Xbox one likely peaked last year and if that's the case then it's sales will fall below the xbox 360. 

Since you brought up the console/casuals versus pc/hardcore discussion. You have that backwards. Considering that alot of people own a pc, it's easier to paint pc as the casual's device since everyone pratically owns one or more of 'em and it's a true multimedia device. Consoles are a dedicated gaming device and tailor to only gamers. The vast majority of PC users play browser games or solitaire. *shrugs

Edited to correct some mistakes. BTW, why did you put  "Steam Account - Azzanation" at the end there?

My Steam account is there to prove i am a PC gamer from top to bottom and even i find a need for an Xbox. I have a library of over 1000 games on Steam alone yet i will always buy a Xbox so i can game in my living room. You might not need one, nor does the next person but theres a market for it. Xbox wont be absorb into PC gaming, because then what does MS have to compete in the living room?

More gamers game on PC thats a fact, but what teenager do you know has there tower plugged in there living room? 

Comes down to not everyone wil buy an XB1 this generation, so WIndows 10 store will cover the grounds.

You like playing pc and xbox games. Soooo? 

You know you can hook your pc to your tv in the living room, right? It's becoming more normal considering that cord cutting is becoming more prevelent or the norm. Most new TVs can be used as a monitor. Just use a wireless mouse/keyboard and an extra long HDMI cable. It works great. I watch netflix and stream anime in the living room on the big tv whenever I want using my desktop pc. I use my pc as a cable box to stream tv in the living room and in my bedroom. I'm a cord cutter. 

Here's a 2014 article about pay tv losing subscribers to cord cutting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/14/cord-cutting_n_6159502.html

Here's a 2016 article. More lost subscribers. http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/02/25/media-stocks-just-how-bad-is-cord-cutting/

More and more people are cutting the cord. So the PC is already being put into the living room to watch tv. A few clicks of the mouse, a person could be playing a game off of the windows 10 store or steam. MS doesn't really need a xbox or steambox to enter the living room. MS only needs more people to cut the cord and play games once in a while on their pc in between them streaming shows/movies. 

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Azzanation said:

My Steam account is there to prove i am a PC gamer from top to bottom and even i find a need for an Xbox. I have a library of over 1000 games on Steam alone yet i will always buy a Xbox so i can game in my living room. You might not need one, nor does the next person but theres a market for it. Xbox wont be absorb into PC gaming, because then what does MS have to compete in the living room?

More gamers game on PC thats a fact, but what teenager do you know has there tower plugged in there living room? 

Comes down to not everyone wil buy an XB1 this generation, so WIndows 10 store will cover the grounds.

You know you can hook your pc to your tv in the living room, right? It's becoming more normal considering that cord cutting is becoming more prevelent or the norm. Most new TVs can be used as a monitor. Just use a wireless mouse/keyboard and an extra long HDMI cable. It works great. I watch netflix and stream anime in the living room on the big tv whenever I want using my desktop pc. I use my pc as a cable box to stream tv in the living room and in my bedroom. I'm a cord cutter. 

Here's a 2014 article about pay tv losing subscribers to cord cutting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/14/cord-cutting_n_6159502.html

Here's a 2016 article. More lost subscribers. http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/02/25/media-stocks-just-how-bad-is-cord-cutting/

More and more people are cutting the cord. So the PC is already being put into the living room to watch tv. A few clicks of the mouse, a person could be playing a game off of the windows 10 store or steam. MS doesn't really need a xbox or steambox to enter the living room. MS only needs more people to cut the cord and play games once in a while on their pc in between them streaming shows/movies. 

I already have my PC hooked up to my TV in my bedroom. How do i play PC games with a mouse and Keyboard in my living room? Do i sit on the floor and have a roll out table? Sounds more of a hassle then you actaully think. Plugging your PC into a TV is the easy part. The hard part is trying to use it. Why do you think Steam Machines were invented? To make it simpler. Xbox Live subcribers are going to increase once Windows 10 store gets more Xbox games because you are going to need one to play Xbox games.

CosmicSex said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I think bringing every X1 games to PC would say, "we don't care what machine you use, but we want you using X1 or Windows 10."

Personally, I'm fine with that. X1 games wouldn't be less enjoyable because WIndows 10 users have access to them.

Quantum Break on X1 isn't gonna lose signficant number of sales being on PC. The reality is more people will play it because its on both platforms.

Quantum Break isn't gonna have a lot of sell to lose anyway. It looks so damn dry.

I'm so thirsty that I'm willing to settle, just gotta put some ranch on it.

Azzanation said:
Aeolus451 said:

I already have my PC hooked up to my TV in my bedroom. How do i play PC games with a mouse and Keyboard in my living room? Do i sit on the floor and have a roll out table? Sounds more of a hassle then you actaully think. Plugging your PC into a TV is the easy part. The hard part is trying to use it. Why do you think Steam Machines were invented? To make it simpler. Xbox Live subcribers are going to increase once Windows 10 store gets more Xbox games because you are going to need one to play Xbox games.

Don't you have more than one PC? You leave one pc in the living room or keep your main one there. 

MS plan is quite simple and will benefit both PC and console gamers by having both being under one platform that is Windows 10. Instead of selling a game only to one user base they sell the same game to two user base hence more people to buy the games, more profits, more support for games... how is that bad really?

Just because you are so deep into this console war and think that exclusives are the only worth on consoles doesn't mean that's where the industry should keep going. Xbox will become a cheaper more convenient way to play Windows 10 games and PC is where the potential lies. Pick the one you want, it's better to have a choice imo.

If you all think gamers suddenly will buy PCs to play some games that were Xbox exclusive you really lost it. PC gaming is not plug and play, it's also more expensive and convenience is not to be underestimated.

Around the Network

Out of all the PC gamers that play on their TV I wonder how many actually are married or live with their girlfriend and play on their living room TVs not a second screen in a men cave... I have a shit ton of PC gamers friends and the only one doing it are single and amongst the married or in couple one even the one with gamer chicks don't have their rig hooked to the living room TV they have a computer room with each their rigs...their console on the other hand are 90% of the time hooked to the main TV... So he has a point this is by far the norm... Pretty sure he can afford better rigs and set up than all of us but also setups that are not even on the market and at the prototype stage... So stop braging about PC master race like he doesn't wtf he is talking about... If anything MS and MS R&D joined with other actors of the gaming market are the gods of that race...

endimion said:
Out of all the PC gamers that play on their TV I wonder how many actually are married or live with their girlfriend and play on their living room TVs not a second screen in a men cave... I have a shit ton of PC gamers friends and the only one doing it are single and amongst the married or in couple one even the one with gamer chicks don't have their rig hooked to the living room TV they have a computer room with each their rigs...their console on the other hand are 90% of the time hooked to the main TV... So he has a point this is by far the norm... Pretty sure he can afford better rigs and set up than all of us but also setups that are not even on the market and at the prototype stage... So stop braging about PC master race like he doesn't wtf he is talking about... If anything MS and MS R&D joined with other actors of the gaming market are the gods of that race...

That is the stupidest stereotype I have ever seen on a gaming form, and I don't even think you believe it.

endimion said:

That's very true though. Most people I know that game on their PCs are not gaming on the living room they mostly have a room or they just work on their work desk. People on these forum act like every PC gamers will put a computer in their living room even if they have families and so on. It's rare that PCs in families are for long gaming sessions. It's mostly a tool for the whole family or for work of one member or more. 

Xbox's "savior" is slowly turning into its worse nightmare...

Mystro-Sama said:

Xbox's "savior" is slowly turning into its worse nightmare...

You wish he would be, however, Q4 revenues show otherwise.

In fact, the only people mad at his decisions are fanboys that thrive on petty list wars.

His policies are very forward thinking and Xbox division will benefit greatly from his vision, whether it'll be finacially or IPs creation.