By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Sony Won't Deploy PS4 Exclusives on PC

kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

Yea, and thank God they aren't MS.

That's some wishful thinking right there.  I know it sucks that MS is going to lose every true exclusive list from now on, but there is absolutely no reason for Sony to switch to PC, too.  And I think you're last two sentences more accurately describe the PS4.

Sony execs dream of Ms like success. Sony know that hardware isn't the future. Software as a service is. Fans need to suck that up, it's what will happen. No question, no doubt.

MS like success with what? Certainly not Xbox that's for sure. What with not being able to make enough sales on their consoles that the studio needs to release on PC. That's not a success. Software might be the future, but hardware is now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

That's some wishful thinking right there.  I know it sucks that MS is going to lose every true exclusive list from now on, but there is absolutely no reason for Sony to switch to PC, too.  And I think you're last two sentences more accurately describe the PS4.

Sony execs dream of Ms like success. Sony know that hardware isn't the future. Software as a service is. Fans need to suck that up, it's what will happen. No question, no doubt.

So? PS Now seems to signal that they are pretty aware of this, if anything they are achieveing far bigger success than MS in the gaming department. Yes MS is a behemoth when it comes to a corporation, but that doesnt stop them of trying and not winning 3 console generations in a row.

MS also has a questionable at best reputation when it comes to gaming, and PC gaming especially. They have pretty much no presence as game publishers in that spehere, while Steam became the defacto platform for anything PC gaming related, while their mobile OS share goes from pathetic to 0 every time I check, no matter how many times several vgc users propethized that it is the mobile future (for the record I still rock a Lumia 630, I like it, but I mostly use a phone for what it is, a phone).

Whenever MS has some issues in the gaming segment, you bring up MSs profit margin that has absolutly nothing to do with their gaming portofolio. This is strictly gaming related, and like it or not, MS is not at the height they were 5 years ago. Can this change? Sure. Will it? My bet is just as good as yours. I trully hope that all 3 companies manage to keep their presence in the industry, as IMO the 7th generation was arguably the best when it comes down to variety, and serious rivalry made this possible.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Lawlight said:
Conina said:

Steam seems to be "personal use", doesn't it? At least I don't know many office PCs where Steam is installed.

Hardware survey January 2016: Windows = 95.39%, OSX = 3.55%, Linux = 0.95%.

So yeah, people actually buy Windows OS for personal use and Windows absolutely dominates PC gaming.

Except people are upgrading to Windows 10 for free.

Only the ones that bought an older Windows version for their personal use. So the point still stands: people are buying Windows for their personal use, either PCs with preinstalled licences or Windows licences for self-built rigs.

Some hardware vendors offered a few of their PCs without a preinstalled windows for a while (for 50 - 100 bucks less than the Windows-models with the same hardware)... Almost no one wanted these models, so these offers became much rarer.

kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

That's why Sony has hinted multiple times at psnow including ps1, ps2 and ps4 games and the reason they've said plans are for as many platforms as possible.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

I think a lot of people live in an old thinking of the matter of consoles and platforms. MS treats Xbox and PC as ONE platform through W10, so it doesn't matter one bit if they sell 10, 20 or 80 million X1's, it only means they expand the number of Windows 10 platforms that can play their games, and its through software you make money, not hardware.

MS has the best plan for longtime success in the gaming industry.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

You will be right the day that Software dont need Hardware to run. Videogame related or not.

Puppyroach said:
I think a lot of people live in an old thinking of the matter of consoles and platforms. MS treats Xbox and PC as ONE platform through W10, so it doesn't matter one bit if they sell 10, 20 or 80 million X1's, it only means they expand the number of Windows 10 platforms that can play their games, and its through software you make money, not hardware.

MS has the best plan for longtime success in the gaming industry.

Windows XP can play their games or at least Windows 7 can.

When people say Xbox and PC as one platform, I really can't see how this Xbox + PC gaming is any different from PC gaming in the past, hell its been windows since ever. When was the last time any other OS held a majority other than Windows, not even talking about gaming here, just in general. What is the god damned difference between W7 and W10 in terms of gaming? Seriously, this whole new future of games garbage is just how its always been branded with a new coat of paint.

I mean seriously, they are expanding the number of W10 platforms that play their games from the W7 platforms that play their games. Sure they might take away from the infantile Mac/Linux PC market.

Is W10 really struggling without gaming? I doubt it. The only real advantage for Microsoft here is that through Windows Store they profit more than through Steam, but like Chazore said in another thread, that shit is unlikely. Yet forgoing a closed platform with total vendor control for an open platform with true vendor competiton is optimal because Future. As if.

Lets stop conflating this whole thing as wholly good for gamers or for the industry or for Microsoft. It has its clear disadvantages and advantages, both of which have merit.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

JRPGfan said:

Crapgamer has a few points though.

There are people that legit bought a Xbox One, for this one game, that wouldnt have if they from the start said it was on both.

Its kinda false advertiseing, or atleast tricking people into buying a product.

And why is Membership 60$/year , if its free on pc, and they get the same games & services?

"So why allow those games to go to PC and not the exclusive blockbusters? Well, because for Sony, its first-party output acts as a sort of advertisement for the PS4. Titles like Bloodborneexist to sell consoles, and while exclusives are waning ever so slightly in importance, it's licensing fees and subscriptions where platform holders make money. If a game like The Last Guardianhelps to move a few boxes, then it's worth the investment, because it helps introduce people to the ecosystem."

I actually agree with this.

I think down the line, every exclusive the XB1 gets going to PC, kills insentive to buy one.

Well anyway, people chose to let themself be tricked by Spencer and microsoft in general with the xbox, they never learn, they say " yes of course, Kinect is the ADN of the console, it couldnt live without it, we will have many big games for it " then they get rid of it , they say " yes of course these games are exclusives ( Ryse/Dead Rising 3/Recore/Tomb RaiderQuantum Break /Scal...etc. )" and then they all end up on PC ( or  PS4 for tomb raider and the famous " we would never fund a game to see it being released on PS4 " )  .

And even after all these lies, these people still blindly followed them or bought a xbox one ? How do we say ? " Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me " ?

So yeah Microsoft, Spencer, Mattrick and all of them are liars, but people should think before buying something without second thought.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Lawlight said:

The UI looks terrible compared to Windows 7.

Agreed. And Windows 7 does everything that i need it to do, so there's no reason for me to switch.

Worse thing about 7 is getting nagged about upgrading to 10.  I uninstalled the KB3035583 update and turned download and install updates to my control and now I am no longer bothered.  What was funny is that the GWX program constantly crashed on my PC on boot up.  Why would I want to upgrade if you can't even make the upgrade program work properly?

sethnintendo said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

Agreed. And Windows 7 does everything that i need it to do, so there's no reason for me to switch.

Worse thing about 7 is getting nagged about upgrading to 10.  I uninstalled the KB3035583 update and turned download and install updates to my control and now I am no longer bothered.  What was funny is that the GWX program constantly crashed on my PC on boot up.  Why would I want to upgrade if you can't even make the upgrade program work properly?

Yeah, i turned all of that annoying crap off as well, trying to get me to upgrade to 10.