By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Sony Won't Deploy PS4 Exclusives on PC

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Aeolus451 said:

Ms can't really pressure sony into following suit. With the xbox one selling significantly lower than the PS4, I doubt sony is feeling enough pressure to turn on a sink. That doesn't mean MS won't be a threat next gen. Lastly, it doesn't make any sense for sony to put their 1st party games on PC. If both sold roughly the same, it might be a different story because there would be serious competition between the two. Competition forces companies to compromise on things they wouldn't have otherwise. 

Exactly, remember when online multiplayer was free? MS pressured Sony with Xbox Live and they had to make PS+ and charge for online to boot. That's what pressure looks like.

Hope yall don't mind if I but in; Big game companies is to blame.

On PS4, there are games with free multiplayer online. It's up to developers to decide to charge you for using PSN servers. At least that is what I think.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network

To me, this just illustrates MS slowly giving up on Xbox, at least as a HW brand. I'm guessing sales fell off a cliff after Xmas, so they're going to be focusing on improving Windows 10 adoption. I think they'll give it one more shot next gen but if the next Xbox is a very distant 2nd, or 3rd if NX does moderately well, they're pulling out of the console market.

kowenicki said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Sony is not Microsoft.

Damn right...

Yea, and thank God they aren't MS.

Azzanation said:
They will. There just avoiding the heat for now. Might not be this gen but eventually everything will be on PC. Its the largest and most popular platform thats growing everyday. Avoiding it only hurts your own studios.

That's some wishful thinking right there.  I know it sucks that MS is going to lose every true exclusive list from now on, but there is absolutely no reason for Sony to switch to PC, too.  And I think you're last two sentences more accurately describe the PS4.

Hiku said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I fucking love Windows 10, it's the best OS of all time and if you disagree with me, you're just wrong. Seriously, I can't even fathom why anyone would use anything else willingly.

It forcefully installs updates and reboots my PC. It doesn't fit my work ethic at all. I've lost valuable data to windows automatic update. That's why I have it Off on Windows 7, and it's the sole reason I won't use Windows 10 so long as they don't have that feature. None of it's compromises help.

It's good you have it off, as MS recently changed Windows 10 to a priority update. So, if you had it on and went to bed with 7, you'd wake up to a fresh version of Windows 10, without you're say so.  And I'm getting a new laptop in a few months, which I'm specifically making sure has 7 on it.

Hiku said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

I fucking love Windows 10, it's the best OS of all time and if you disagree with me, you're just wrong. Seriously, I can't even fathom why anyone would use anything else willingly.

It forcefully installs updates and reboots my PC. It doesn't fit my work ethic at all. I've lost valuable data to windows automatic update. That's why I have it Off on Windows 7, and it's the sole reason I won't use Windows 10 so long as they don't have that feature. None of it's compromises help.

You can disable Windows 10's automatic updates and install feature with some trickery. It's not even that hard to do.

As for Sony not deploying exclusives on PC... Well. I don't really care. Their exclusives will end up on PC whether they like it or not, eventually.
The PC has it's own exclusives anyway... And more of them, it's the platform with the largest games library ever.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

You can change the update procedure with a few mouse clicks. Instead of automatic updates you get a message that updates are available.

I think Sony should consider porting games like Dreams to PC, but games that will sell millions of copies on ps4 I'm not sure about that.

Conina said:
Lawlight said:
Are people actually buying Windows OS for personal use though?

Steam seems to be "personal use", doesn't it? At least I don't know many office PCs where Steam is installed.

Hardware survey January 2016: Windows = 95.39%, OSX = 3.55%, Linux = 0.95%.

So yeah, people actually buy Windows OS for personal use and Windows absolutely dominates PC gaming.

Except people are upgrading to Windows 10 for free.

And this is the reason Sony will become IMO the only relevant console manufacturer for 3rd party developers for the next couple of generations, while classic console cycles will exist. MS will go in every direction their OS dictates, as they should, but this will guarantee that they will always have a far smaller install base with their home console then Sony.

Nintendo still has a good chance to attract Japanese developers if their NX gamble pays off, but they will mostly survive on the strength of their own IPs.

Sony is in this for the long run, seeing that the was majority of their profits and brand awareness will come from the PlayStation ecosystem. MS has far more flexibility to experiment, and even restart from scratch if they must, while Nintendo might actually make a decent profit from far fewer users.

Only time will tell which approach will be better.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Hiku said:
Conina said:

You can change the update procedure with a few mouse clicks. Instead of automatic updates you get a message that updates are available.

The automatic update will still occur. Unless something changed since last I read up about it, MS will not allow you to shut this feature off on Win 10.

Automatic updates have been gone, you cannot disable them entirely, but you can postpone them indefinetly.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank