By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Corporate Health of Sony, Nintendo and MS

bunchanumbers said:
Lets be honest. If Sony and MS were gaming only, and not giant mega conglomerates or near monopolies, they would both be shut down and out of the gaming business. PS3 would have killed Sony and MS would have been destroyed with the OG Xbox.

Nintendo is the only real gaming company and are just now starting to branch out into other ventures. But even then those ventures are based on their gaming ventures. The fact that they have this sort of stability even during the darkest of times shows how great Nintendo is with money.

That's also why Nintendo is least likely to take risks.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
bunchanumbers said:
Lets be honest. If Sony and MS were gaming only, and not giant mega conglomerates or near monopolies, they would both be shut down and out of the gaming business. PS3 would have killed Sony and MS would have been destroyed with the OG Xbox.

Nintendo is the only real gaming company and are just now starting to branch out into other ventures. But even then those ventures are based on their gaming ventures. The fact that they have this sort of stability even during the darkest of times shows how great Nintendo is with money.

But they take massive risks with every generation. The risks are in their input devices for their consoles. Wii and Wiimotes were a massive risk. The Wii U gamepad was their safest move, and it was their worst selling console. 

bunchanumbers said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
bunchanumbers said:

But they take massive risks with every generation. The risks are in their input devices for their consoles. Wii and Wiimotes were a massive risk. The Wii U gamepad was their safest move, and it was their worst selling console. 

An input device alone does not constitute a massive risk.

The Wii might have seemed like a massive risk, but consider the possibility that the Wii could have flopped. If it did so, Nintendo would probably have a lot less money then they do now, but it wouldn't have sinked the company. After all, the Wii is practically an extension/redesign of the Gamecube. It didn't cost them that much to make, they "never" sold it a loss.

It was new, it was "innovative", but it wasn't risky not at all.

The Gamecube was probably their biggest risk, since it was so unlike its predecessor, and so powerful for its time.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Lol Nintendo's debt is at $103,000... Did Miyamoto just buy a house or something?

They're not really too comparable as Microsoft was unphased by operating the Xbox at a large loss for most of its history. Sony, given the failing nature of most of their business ventures, did need the Playstation to succeed but is such a large company that its impact is still limited.

Nintendo, meanwhile, is hugely dependent on their handhelds, though by playing it safe with affordable-to-produce hardware they've never really seen the kind of nosedive sega experienced.

They're all so different that direct comparisons don't really yield any useful information.

AsGryffynn said:
The health of their console divisions reflects on their profits. To sell a console in large amounts takes more money and it's obvious that Sony put a lot more into the PS4 than MS on the XONE... this actually reflects how important their console audience is to them.

Granted, a lot more might happen that can lead to higher debt, but this is spot on...

Actually this is a wrong thing, i dont know who falls on Microsoft's PR, that they are selling less, but making more profit with Xbox, than Sony, with Playstation.

Playstation 4, only is manufactured on Brazil, and on China, and you know what this means ?, with more consoles being sold it cost less money to Sony, for make the Consoles and they can get much more profit, is because of that Xbox One, and Playstation 4, are on the same price, is because Sony, made much more Playstation 4, because of that the Playstation 4, get a price drop, they are not selling Playstation 4, at loss, and they would only lose money with Playstation 4, if it were not selling, but is selling all the stock really quick.

So, Playstation 4, being cheaper and more powerful, is giving the same or even more profit per unit than Xbox One, to Microsoft.

the Company's health have nothing to do with the Console Market, if the console is only giving loss the Company will quit the console market, even if have the Apple's level of profits, so what is more important for the gaming market ?, Sony, not selling movies, or Cellphones, but selling Consoles, or Microsoft, selling Microsoft Visual Studios, Windows, but not selling consoles ?.

This Thread makes no sense, i think that is a Counter-Thread, because someone did not liked Uncharted Collection, selling more than Halo 5, so who made this Thread, please tell for me what have to do Sony, or Microsoft, selling less icecream, but more Sugar, what this have to do with the console caming ?, did you want to say that Despite Playstation 4's value being more than 8 Billions per year to Sony, and Xbox One, being 1 Billion per year to Microsoft (just a example), you want to say that if i did not go and see Spiderman's movie, Sony, will stop of making Playstation ?, and even if Xbox, give Eternal loss for Microsoft, they will continue to make Xbox ?, even when they clearly are changing to PC ?, less than 1/6 of Sony's revenue came from Gaming, for Microsoft, even less, so what is the point of making this ?.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes, when have Nintendo done bad in gaming? Never. On PS2 gen they had big profits because of Gameboy +Advanced+DS that was why they passed N64 and GC in comfort. This gen they had 3DS and WiiU selling 60M and stil aren't very good on profitability. So yes if Nintendo was a console only (no HH) they probably would have already left the gaming space, if you want to add HH they have been winning the race for all gens so your point doesn't hold.

So basically it seems like you don't know very well the point you are making and you don't have the numbers on how well Sony or MS would be doing if they were console only... And it should be obvious that a company the size of MS console bussiness is irrelevant. And on Sony part it is becoming more relevant. 

So I ask again, what is your point if you were looking correctly at the numbers?

I'll go back again and I'll condense it to the relevant parts for your point. Many people think that Nintendo is near bankruptcy because the Wii U isn't selling well (and 3DS isn't matching DS) and other people think that Sony has turned around all money problems because the PS4 is selling well. 

These figures simply serve to give readers more info to work with.  If you know this already, then you are not the people this thread is intended for. 

Many people may think that, but they are very few in the end. But yes Nintendo is still safe (but was in a downward motion that still need a good correction to show strong numbers); but if NX sells less than 3DS+WiiU that will be dangerous. I don't think any of your target entered the thread... the only comments we saw that weren't already knowing this situation was from one guy that though Sony's TVs and Mobile generated a lot of profits.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:
What is really the point?
We all know Sony finances aren't that strong and that doesn't matter how much money MS throws in X1 it won't pass PS4.
So you just wanted to?

The point is already in the original post.   I'll repost it here.

Several people seem to think that winning or losing in the console race is a direct indicator of corporate health and the security of that company's future.

To elaborate...many people suggest that Nintendo should go 3rd party, merge with someone or are near bankruptcy.  On the other side, you have a lot of people that think Sony is doing exceptionally well given the success of the PS4.  These figures give a alternate perspective than just sales so that a more informed discourse can take place.

Yes, when have Nintendo done bad in gaming? Never. On PS2 gen they had big profits because of Gameboy +Advanced+DS that was why they passed N64 and GC in comfort. This gen they had 3DS and WiiU selling 60M and stil aren't very good on profitability. So yes if Nintendo was a console only (no HH) they probably would have already left the gaming space, if you want to add HH they have been winning the race for all gens so your point doesn't hold.

So basically it seems like you don't know very well the point you are making and you don't have the numbers on how well Sony or MS would be doing if they were console only... And it should be obvious that a company the size of MS console bussiness is irrelevant. And on Sony part it is becoming more relevant. 

So I ask again, what is your point if you were looking correctly at the numbers?

97alexk said:
Teeqoz said:

No really. Just no. Not at all.

I mean, they had once. maybe not anymore

TV was giving then losses for the last 10 years before it game small profits in 2015. Mobile is something like small profit and big losses for the last 5 years... Kowen probably have the numbers and remember the trend from the top of his mind. So nope TV and Mobile isn't what make they stand, finance services is stronger there.

Completely forgot Sony has a bank too... 

From a financial POV, Nintendo is a very smartly run "little" (employee size) company that punches far above its weight.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare Microsoft and Sony's game division to Nintendo?

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
SpokenTruth said:

The point is already in the original post.   I'll repost it here.

Several people seem to think that winning or losing in the console race is a direct indicator of corporate health and the security of that company's future.

To elaborate...many people suggest that Nintendo should go 3rd party, merge with someone or are near bankruptcy.  On the other side, you have a lot of people that think Sony is doing exceptionally well given the success of the PS4.  These figures give a alternate perspective than just sales so that a more informed discourse can take place.

97alexk said:

I mean, they had once. maybe not anymore

TV was giving then losses for the last 10 years before it game small profits in 2015. Mobile is something like small profit and big losses for the last 5 years... Kowen probably have the numbers and remember the trend from the top of his mind. So nope TV and Mobile isn't what make they stand, finance services is stronger there.

Completely forgot Sony has a bank too... 

The irony of their most profitable service being financial services while they were in deep shit on financial side.

AlfredoTurkey said:
Wouldn't it be more accurate to compare Microsoft and Sony's game division to Nintendo?

You're like the 10 person to say that, there is no accurate number for this part (we would have only revenue and profits, but assets and liabilities would need a big research or baseless assumptions... none would help us now)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."