By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Corporate Health of Sony, Nintendo and MS

mountaindewslave said:
CosmicSex said:

Revenue alone doesn't tell you everything but it is critically important... because without it you literally have nothing. 

Depending on what your goal is, revenue is everthing. Revenue can become profits or used as a buffer if you want to invest and grow. 

If you are budgeting for a loss and your Rev is higher then expected... BAM!

revenue as a stat on its own is useless though. there are tons (and I mean tons) of billion dollar companies out there with, in some cases, tens of billions of dollars of sales in revenue who profit almost nothing

obviously revenue is good in the sense of your business is potentially operating at a high scale and pushing product, but very obviously sales is all about margins and in the end whether you have high revenue or low revenue cost and profit are really what matters

sort of reminds me of the PS2 and Gamecube generation- Nintendo sold way less hardware/software than Sony during those years yet somehow managed to profit a lot more. again, revenue on its own is a useless stat without context and other numbers to look at

Don't forget that Handhelds and SW on gamecub and HH were very big.

And at people that say having no debt is good. It all depends, if you can take money borrowed at 4%year and invest or borrow at a rate of 8% you would be silly to preffer to have no debt and no profit.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
97alexk said:

and Sony with a huge TV and mobile profits.

No really. Just no. Not at all.

I mean, they had once. maybe not anymore

CosmicSex said:
Platina said:
Tagging...

What I don't really get is that if you can pay off your debts, why leave it?

Its really considered healthy to have some debt.  Have good debt as a consumer is better than not having any debt (for whatever reason but its true).

I was actually shocked.  I think they need to have more debt really.

Risk taking. The point is that the debt is easily payable but you choose not to pay it. Having no debt at all means you don't owe anyone...

97alexk said:
Teeqoz said:

I'm not sure if their mobile and TV divisions have made a cumulative net profit over the course of the years. At the very least a lot of the profits they got from it has been ereased by now.

Now say life insurance, and we're talking something else. That's Sony's true cash cow.

So what caused the huge debt spike for Sony last year? Did the engine for The Order really cost that much?

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
So what caused the huge debt spike for Sony last year? Did the engine for The Order really cost that much?

Imma just copy paste my reply to another user asking the same question:

"Liabilites were just moved in the balance sheet.

Short term debt 111.84 Bn 1.93 T
Other current liabilites 3.6 T 1.92 T

Those figures are in yen, but as you can see, there's a roughly equivalent decrease in "Other Current Liabilities" to the increase in "Short Term Debt" when going from 2014 to 2015."

Lets be honest. If Sony and MS were gaming only, and not giant mega conglomerates or near monopolies, they would both be shut down and out of the gaming business. PS3 would have killed Sony and MS would have been destroyed with the OG Xbox.

Nintendo is the only real gaming company and are just now starting to branch out into other ventures. But even then those ventures are based on their gaming ventures. The fact that they have this sort of stability even during the darkest of times shows how great Nintendo is with money.

What kind of liabilities does Nintendo have? Maybe dividends to pay?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

mountaindewslave said:

it is sort of funny to see how much better shape financially Nintendo is in lately than Sony despite the Wii U not going great. I guess that could be attributed to the 3DS or just very careful business from them over the years (and not dropping the Wii U price! haha)

obviously Microsoft is in another league compared to Nintendo/Sony but to be fair its obviously much more than a video game company and in terms of video game numbers alone would actually be beneath them

Well sony is also a lot more than a video game company. 

As for nintendos shape, it worked for them thus far but I fear its not gonna work for them anymore. And even now they are about to make another snaffu. Releasing the NX in 2016/2017 that will be on par with consoles (1080p) that in 2/3yrs from  now will come out with successors that will be 4k consoles at a time when 4k would have been mainstream. It's like they insist on being behind the curve. 

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:
What is really the point?
We all know Sony finances aren't that strong and that doesn't matter how much money MS throws in X1 it won't pass PS4.
So you just wanted to?

The point is already in the original post.   I'll repost it here.

Several people seem to think that winning or losing in the console race is a direct indicator of corporate health and the security of that company's future.

To elaborate...many people suggest that Nintendo should go 3rd party, merge with someone or are near bankruptcy.  On the other side, you have a lot of people that think Sony is doing exceptionally well given the success of the PS4.  These figures give a alternate perspective than just sales so that a more informed discourse can take place.

Yes, when have Nintendo done bad in gaming? Never. On PS2 gen they had big profits because of Gameboy +Advanced+DS that was why they passed N64 and GC in comfort. This gen they had 3DS and WiiU selling 60M and stil aren't very good on profitability. So yes if Nintendo was a console only (no HH) they probably would have already left the gaming space, if you want to add HH they have been winning the race for all gens so your point doesn't hold.

So basically it seems like you don't know very well the point you are making and you don't have the numbers on how well Sony or MS would be doing if they were console only... And it should be obvious that a company the size of MS console bussiness is irrelevant. And on Sony part it is becoming more relevant. 

So I ask again, what is your point if you were looking correctly at the numbers?

97alexk said:
Teeqoz said:

TV was giving then losses for the last 10 years before it game small profits in 2015. Mobile is something like small profit and big losses for the last 5 years... Kowen probably have the numbers and remember the trend from the top of his mind. So nope TV and Mobile isn't what make they stand, finance services is stronger there.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."