By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the dreamcast really fail because of sales?

they failed because their arcade business failed, and they made losses and were near bankruptcy. MS entering the race decided them to throw the towel

Around the Network

Most people I know agree that it was Sega's past hardware failures catching up to them. Dreamcast sold well at the time but wasn't enough to keep Sega afloat in the console market especially with the beast of a console the PS2 was.

About the piracy. Yes it was a problem, but Sega did fix it with the later Dreamcast model.

It's good to see that most people agree that the problem was Sega running out of money.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Paatar said:
Just to correct you, the Wii U is making a profit. Unlike what the Dreamcast did. So in a way, you can't really say it's doing worse.

Do you mean the Wii U is making a profit on hardware alone, or just as a whole?

They could still go on. But MS offered a better deal in exchange of them leaving the market, developing the original Xbox(read up about it) and giving it some software. MS really wanted to secure a position as a gaming company, not because Xbox division's sales, but because games can help them on OS business.

Around the Network

The dreamcast failed because of consumer perception.

Theres only so many times you can be burned before you stop walking into the fire.

There was also always the SEGA japan vs SEGA of america thing. It still exists up to this day i think. It hasnt helped the company in the slightest.

Also connected to the first point, there was a Playstation, the competition. The console that went in to save the generation and bring countless new inovative experiences. Why would anyone go back to SEGA and risk it when they could just wait for the PS2?

Of course, SEGA fans like me did. I was the first one to get the Dreamcast in my country. Did it matter? Not one bit. The damage was already done with the Saturn.

Its the classic example that if you drop your system, consumers will drop you. This is the same thing that will happend if the Wii U gets droped 3 years in. The NX will have no chance if its a sucessor to the Wii U. I am completely convinced Nintendo is aware of this and it isnt the case.

Nem said:

The dreamcast failed because of consumer perception.

Theres only so many times you can be burned before you stop walking into the fire.

There was also always the SEGA japan vs SEGA of america thing. It still exists up to this day i think. It hasnt helped the company in the slightest.

Also connected to the first point, there was a Playstation, the competition. The console that went in to save the generation and bring countless new inovative experiences. Why would anyone go back to SEGA and risk it when they could just wait for the PS2?

Of course, SEGA fans like me did. I was the first one to get the Dreamcast in my country. Did it matter? Not one bit. The damage was already done with the Saturn.

Its the classic example that if you drop your system, consumers will drop you. This is the same thing that will happend if the Wii U gets droped 3 years in. The NX will have no chance if its a sucessor to the Wii U. I am completely convinced Nintendo is aware of this and it isnt the case.

What are you talking about? Saturn had lots of great games. Its just that most of its library wasn't localized for the west. I think that if it did happen, Saturn would have sold much better. But like you said SoJ and SoA were at each other's throats that entire time. I think that was the real reason why they went down. Saturn itself was quite powerful for its time. They just needed to sell it at $249 at launch and it needed a easier architecture to develop games for. Again that was more poor management.

Shadow1980 said:

Sega was already in serious trouble after they bungled the Saturn. While the Dreamcast did better than the Saturn overall, it wasn't doing them any favors itself, really. In Japan the DC actually sold less than half as many units as the Saturn. In the U.S., the DC had a strong start, selling about 1.48M from its 9/9/99 launch to the end of 1999. But in 2000 it went downhill quickly. Just look at how the Dreamcast compares to other consoles in the 1999-2000 period:

The Dreamcast sold only about 1.28M units in all of 2000, meaning it was actually down YoY by about 200k units despite having an entire year vs. just under 4 months for 1999. Meanwhile, the PS1 sold 5.84M and the N64 sold 3.54M. The DC was struggling to compete with systems released several years earlier. The PS2 was still months away. And when the PS2 came out, it didn't actually have a huge impact on the DC's sales. Overall, the DC sold about 1.25M units in 2001, only 30k fewer than in the previous year. So, there was high initial interest in the Dreamcast, but after that it struggled. Even if it hadn't been discontinued prematurely it would have still ended up a distant fourth place in the sixth-gen runnings.

Thank you!! So one gets it. The Dreamcast was not selling 'fine' at the time. 1.25 million units in an entire year in the US is not good.

What did Sega get blackmailed for?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Gamecube failed because PS2 was the better console and had much better games imo.